New photos @ Toadman's Tank Pictures
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 11, 12, 13  Next  :| |:
-> AFV News Discussion Board

#31: Re: New photos @ Toadman's Tank Pictures Author: toadmanstankpictures PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2006 9:54 pm
    ----
- Neil_Baumgardner
Chris, is that the original paint on the Staghound? Whats the significance of "SHIRL"? I was thinking maybe its a regimental acroynm?

Neil

Neil,
You know I really don't know about the exterior paint or markings. I doubt that they are original. I went ahead and updated the page recommending not to use them as a reference.

Chris

#32: Re: New photos @ Toadman's Tank Pictures Author: Neil_BaumgardnerLocation: Arlington, VA PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2006 10:45 pm
    ----
Well, there was a 77th Infantry Division during WWII. Here's info on it from Wikipedia:

"This division was formed from the Devon and Cornwall Division on 1st December 1941 . It remained in the United Kingdom through out the war and was converted into a reserve formation in December 1942 finally being disbanded in September 1944 ."

Bellis' Divisions of the British Army 1939-1945 backs up this info. I dont know why someone would paint it in those colors after the war. Doesnt seem particularly significant - unless there was some local or personal connection someone wanted to remember...

And now that I look at it again, "SHIRL" is apparently the name of the vehicle - there are quotation marks on either side.

Neil

#33: Re: New photos @ Toadman's Tank Pictures Author: toadmanstankpictures PostPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2006 5:00 pm
    ----
- Neil_Baumgardner
Well, there was a 77th Infantry Division during WWII. Here's info on it from Wikipedia:

"This division was formed from the Devon and Cornwall Division on 1st December 1941 . It remained in the United Kingdom through out the war and was converted into a reserve formation in December 1942 finally being disbanded in September 1944 ."

Bellis' Divisions of the British Army 1939-1945 backs up this info. I dont know why someone would paint it in those colors after the war. Doesnt seem particularly significant - unless there was some local or personal connection someone wanted to remember...

And now that I look at it again, "SHIRL" is apparently the name of the vehicle - there are quotation marks on either side.

Neil

Neil,
The 77 on the fender is not a divisional sign but has something to do with a brigade or regiment. The colored block that it is painted on is an artillery arm or service color. The 7th Armored Div. jerboa is painted on the other fender.

#34: Re: New photos @ Toadman's Tank Pictures Author: toadmanstankpictures PostPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2006 5:02 pm
    ----
UPDATE 26NOV06
I've added the following gallery:

41 pics of a T17E2 Staghound AA

and I've updated the following gallery:

10 new pics added to the 6-pdr anti-tank gun gallery.

Enjoy!

#35: Re: New photos @ Toadman's Tank Pictures Author: toadmanstankpictures PostPosted: Sat Dec 02, 2006 11:41 pm
    ----
UPDATE 2DEC06
Added today:
31 pics to the existing Crusader Mk II gallery

34 pics of a M5 Stuart

and 5 new pics to the exisiting M4A3E2 Assault Tank "Jumbo" gallery

Enjoy!

#36: Re: New photos @ Toadman's Tank Pictures Author: jcneelLocation: Victoria, Texas PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2006 1:01 am
    ----
So does the Jumbo have a 75mm or a 76mm gun?

Chris Neel

#37: Re: New photos @ Toadman's Tank Pictures Author: toadmanstankpictures PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2006 1:19 am
    ----
- jcneel

Chris Neel

AFAIK, it'll have a 75mm when finished.

#38: Re: New photos @ Toadman's Tank Pictures Author: Roy_A_LingleLocation: El Paso & Ft Bliss, Texas PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2006 4:27 pm
    ----
HI Chris! Hi Folks!

- jcneel

If I am reading the markings painted on the side, it HAD a 75 and that cannon was removed back in 1950s.

I am guessing when Littlefield picked it up, it didn't have a cannon.

Love those photos of the bogies being worked on!
Thanks Toadman!
Sgt, Scouts Out!

#39: Re: New photos @ Toadman's Tank Pictures Author: toadmanstankpictures PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2006 3:48 pm
    ----
- Roy_A_Lingle
HI Chris! Hi Folks!

- jcneel

If I am reading the markings painted on the side, it HAD a 75 and that cannon was removed back in 1950s.

I am guessing when Littlefield picked it up, it didn't have a cannon.

I'll confirm this Saturday. There had been a barrel mounted before the restoration started but I'm not sure if was attached to anything.

Love those photos of the bogies being worked on!
Thanks Toadman!
Sgt, Scouts Out!

You're quite welcome! They're going to be quite useful for model detailing.

#40: Re: New photos @ Toadman's Tank Pictures Author: toadmanstankpictures PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2006 5:12 pm
    ----
UPDATE 16DEC06
13 new pics of the Littlefield Panther
44 new pics of a Achilles IIC
and
136 new pics of a M26A1 Pershing

The Pershing pics are in higher res. than I usually use so may take a bit longer to download.

#41: Re: New photos @ Toadman's Tank Pictures Author: Rikard_HufschmiedLocation: Stockholm, Sweden PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2006 5:52 pm
    ----
At last! Thanks Chris!

More pictures of the Panther Smile Any news on the engine?

Cheers,
Rik

#42: Re: New photos @ Toadman's Tank Pictures Author: toadmanstankpictures PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2006 4:07 pm
    ----
- Rikard_Hufschmied
At last! Thanks Chris!

More pictures of the Panther Smile Any news on the engine?

Cheers,
Rik

They're still working on it but need some good carburetors to really get things moving along.

#43: Re: New photos @ Toadman's Tank Pictures Author: toadmanstankpictures PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2007 1:53 pm
    ----
UPDATE 5JAN07
31 new pics of the Crusader Mk II
and
5 new pics of the 2-pdr Mk II ATG

Enjoy!

#44: Re: New photos @ Toadman's Tank Pictures Author: toadmanstankpictures PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2007 8:16 pm
    ----
UPDATE 14JAN07
Hello everyone,
I've added the following galleries to my site today:

173 pics of a T-54

69 pics of a M59 APC

and

109 pics of a M53/59 Twin 30mm SPAAG

Enjoy!

#45: Re: New photos @ Toadman's Tank Pictures Author: toadmanstankpictures PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2007 6:54 am
    ----
UPDATE 05FEB07
27 pics of a Type 95 Ha-Go
69 pics of a Type 97 Tankette

and
25 pics of a 75mm Pack Howitzer M1A1 and Carriage M8

Enjoy!

-> AFV News Discussion Board