Bovington Tank Museum pics... Some ID Help Needed
Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next  :| |:
-> AFV News Discussion Board

#1: Bovington Tank Museum pics... Some ID Help Needed Author: Neil_BaumgardnerLocation: Arlington, VA PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2006 8:13 pm
    ----
[Please see page 4 for ID help needed]

First off, a mystery series... What is this the interior of? Wink

If he's lurking, Dennis is probably not eligible...

Neil

Last edited by Neil_Baumgardner on Mon Jun 19, 2006 8:05 pm; edited 2 times in total

#2: Re: Some Bovington pics... Author: jtrowbridge5 PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2006 9:25 pm
    ----
neil,
so pleased to know that you finally got there,so disappointed I was not around maybe some other time,did you get any photos of the shrivingham tiger??
regards dennis

#3: Re: Some Bovington pics... Author: Neil_BaumgardnerLocation: Arlington, VA PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2006 9:34 pm
    ----
Yes, I think so, three "Tigers" present - the one Tiger and two King Tigers (one Porsche turret & one Henschell). One was in the Tamiya hall, I presume thats the Shrivenham Tiger?

Good trip overall... They confiscated my large tripod again at the door - still dont understand that bit - but thats why I brought my trusty small pocket-sized tripod - so I got better pics this time around by placing the little tripod on fenders, etc as well using at as brace against myself. Plus I had a bigger memory stick, so I didnt have to skip the armored cars this time..

Neil

#4: Re: Some Bovington pics... Author: jtrowbridge5 PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2006 9:48 pm
    ----
neil.
yes it was the tiger in the tamiya hall, haven't seen it since I was in shrivingham about 20 years ago,so thats one up to you.
the tripod problem goes back a couple of years when some idiot left one of the legs sticking out in the gangway and someone got injured, its now a health and safety matter.
when are you going home???
dennis

#5: Re: Some Bovington pics... Author: Neil_BaumgardnerLocation: Arlington, VA PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2006 10:02 pm
    ----
- jtrowbridge5
neil.
yes it was the tiger in the tamiya hall, haven't seen it since I was in shrivingham about 20 years ago,so thats one up to you.
the tripod problem goes back a couple of years when some idiot left one of the legs sticking out in the gangway and someone got injured, its now a health and safety matter.
when are you going home???
dennis

Yeah, I was told it was a "safety" issue last time I was there 2 years ago. I'll admit I was suspicious, only museum I've encountered this issue at... And unfortunately I just cant seem to get good pics out of my digital camera indoors unless I have some sort of tripod...

I head over to Paris on Sunday. I am considering making a trip to Woolrich on Saturday (never made it there before) and the RAF Museum (to see some wingie-thingies).

Neil

#6: Re: Some Bovington pics... Author: Neil_BaumgardnerLocation: Arlington, VA PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2006 5:48 am
    ----
- Neil_Baumgardner
First off, a mystery series... What is this the interior of? Wink

Neil

No takers?

Neil

#7: Re: Some Bovington pics... Author: TimRoyallLocation: Holland PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2006 6:13 am
    ----
Judging by the plate in the roof, is it the inside of Little Willie?

Tim,

#8: Re: Some Bovington pics... Author: the_shadockLocation: Normandy, France PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2006 6:43 am
    ----
I think so, it might be Little Willie.

Neil, if you have some nice photos of the Shrivenham Kingtiger, I'm very interested in getting it, so that I will be able to put a better photo in my Tiger Survivors PDF file (look at the Tiger and Panther survivors lists topic)
Thanks,

Pierre-Olivier

Last edited by the_shadock on Fri Jun 09, 2006 8:44 am; edited 1 time in total

#9: Re: Some Bovington pics... Author: Roy_A_LingleLocation: El Paso & Ft Bliss, Texas PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2006 7:14 am
    ----
Hi Neil! Hi Folks!

My guess also is Little Willie.

Photos taken in the front area, looking at the rear of the vehicle.

Sgt, Scouts Out! Smile

#10: Re: Some Bovington pics... Author: Neil_BaumgardnerLocation: Arlington, VA PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2006 9:56 am
    ----
Yep, you're all right! I thought that might be too easy... Here's some more pics for now.

Neil

#11: Re: Some Bovington pics... Author: TimRoyallLocation: Holland PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2006 11:27 am
    ----
With the big rivets and boxy shape it certainly looks like the inspiration for the name "tank"! I often wonder what they'd have been called if they hadn't been so secretive? Caterpiller Breakthrough Device or would we still be refering to them as Landships!

Tim,

#12: Re: Some Bovington pics...Little Willie Author: geoffsteer PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2006 11:46 am
    ----
Hi Neil-
I think that is the interior of "Little Willie". This was Britain's first tank and looked like the center section from the later rhomboid shaped tanks we're all used to. I mean to say, Little Willie looked like the rhomboid shaped tanks with the rhomboids removed. Little Willies tracks did not surround the whole profile as seen on the rhomboids. I am describing Little Willie as I am not certain I have the name correct, so the description is to let you know which tank I am talking about.
How'd I do?
Geoff Steer [;-{/) Shocked

#13: Re: Some Bovington pics...Did anyone else notice...? Author: geoffsteer PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2006 11:57 am
    ----
Hi Guys-
Did anyone else notice the round cutout in the roof? Was there any plans to put a turret on Little Willies top? Could be just the way the hull top was constructed although, you have to wonder why that circle is there.
Regards-
Geoff Steer [;-{/)

#14: Re: Some Bovington pics... Author: the_shadockLocation: Normandy, France PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2006 3:51 pm
    ----
- geoffsteer
and looked like the center section from the later rhomboid shaped tanks we're all used to.

I think you are speaking about those rhomboid shaper tanks :

#15: Re: Some Bovington pics... Author: L.Delsing PostPosted: Sat Jun 10, 2006 2:05 pm
    ----
Hello,
Is the Shrivenham Tiger now permanent in Bovington??

Regards,
Lesley

-> AFV News Discussion Board