Bovington Tank Museum pics... Some ID Help Needed
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next  :| |:
-> AFV News Discussion Board

#16: Re: Some Bovington pics... Author: jtrowbridge5 PostPosted: Sat Jun 10, 2006 5:28 pm
    ----
the museum said it was on loan for this months trackfest show, but I was talking to someone at the museum in december and he told me it will be a permanent feature when the museum has been refurbished
dennis

#17: Re: Some Bovington pics... Author: JimWebLocation: The back of beyond PostPosted: Sat Jun 10, 2006 5:56 pm
    ----
Anyone got an exterior image of the roof of Little Willie as it currently exists?

Cool

#18: Re: Some Bovington pics... Author: Neil_BaumgardnerLocation: Arlington, VA PostPosted: Sat Jun 10, 2006 7:24 pm
    ----
Some more pics - the Mk II "Flying Scotsman."

I hadnt realized the Mk IIs were intended to only be used for training - they did apparently were not armored? This was one of 26 sent into the Battle of Arras anyway in 1917 since the newer models were not available. Some damage can be seen in the last pic.

Neil

Last edited by Neil_Baumgardner on Sat Jun 10, 2006 8:38 pm; edited 1 time in total

#19: Re: Some Bovington pics... Author: the_shadockLocation: Normandy, France PostPosted: Sat Jun 10, 2006 7:37 pm
    ----
- Neil_Baumgardner
Yes, I think so, three "Tigers" present - the one Tiger and two King Tigers (one Porsche turret & one Henschell).
Neil

and what about the Bovington Jagdtiger? (one of the only 3 remaining in the world, the second one being at Aberdeen and the other one at Kubinka)?

So in the Bovington museum are exposed 4 tigers !!

#20: Re: Some Bovington pics... Author: Neil_BaumgardnerLocation: Arlington, VA PostPosted: Sat Jun 10, 2006 7:40 pm
    ----
A Mk IV - after WWI this tank had been gifted to HMS Excellent, the Royal Navy gunnery school (ie a "stone ship" shore installation) in recognition for their help in training tank crews. In 1940, apparently some of the naval officers got her going again should the Germans show up Wink I've also read the entire Bovington tank collection was broken up at that time for use as defensive positions as well...

Neil

#21: Re: Some Bovington pics... Author: Neil_BaumgardnerLocation: Arlington, VA PostPosted: Sat Jun 10, 2006 7:50 pm
    ----
A couple of MK Vs, one of which is known as "Ol' Faithful"

Neil

#22: Re: Some Bovington pics... Author: Neil_BaumgardnerLocation: Arlington, VA PostPosted: Sat Jun 10, 2006 8:03 pm
    ----
The last surviving Mk IX troop carrier. The last pic is where the infantry would ride... Yeah...

Neil

#23: Re: Some Bovington pics... Author: Neil_BaumgardnerLocation: Arlington, VA PostPosted: Sat Jun 10, 2006 8:08 pm
    ----
A Mk VIII

I cant help but wonder if this model is period - post WWI.

Neil

#24: Re: Some Bovington pics... Author: Neil_BaumgardnerLocation: Arlington, VA PostPosted: Sat Jun 10, 2006 8:14 pm
    ----
A Mk A Whippet known as "Caesar" - one of two in the world, the other is at the Ordnance Museum at APG. A Birtish Army Lieutenant won a VC posthumously in this tank.

Neil

#25: Re: Some Bovington pics... Author: Neil_BaumgardnerLocation: Arlington, VA PostPosted: Sat Jun 10, 2006 8:22 pm
    ----
Moving into the interwar period, here's a Mk IIA.

Neil

#26: Re: Some Bovington pics... Author: Neil_BaumgardnerLocation: Arlington, VA PostPosted: Sat Jun 10, 2006 8:27 pm
    ----
Some early armored cars:

Crossley Mk I

Crossley-Chevrolet

Peerless

Lanchester

Neil

Last edited by Neil_Baumgardner on Sat Jun 10, 2006 9:38 pm; edited 1 time in total

#27: Re: Some Bovington pics... Author: Neil_BaumgardnerLocation: Arlington, VA PostPosted: Sat Jun 10, 2006 9:33 pm
    ----
Carden-Lloyd carrier

Vickers D3E1 wheel-cum-track tank

L1E3 amphibious tank

Mk II medium tank. The Ordnance Museum CD guide claims their Mk IIA "believed to be the only remaining example equipped with a 3-pounder gun (most had 2-pounders)." However, I cant find any reference to Mk IIs with 2-pounders, and this one appears to have a 3-pounder. Besides which, the APG Mk IIA isnt currently equipped with any gun... Hmm...

Neil

#28: Re: Some Bovington pics... Author: Neil_BaumgardnerLocation: Arlington, VA PostPosted: Sat Jun 10, 2006 9:48 pm
    ----
One of my favorites, the A1E1 Independent

Vickers Mk E export tank

Vickers-Armstrong Commercial tank (and the Mk E to the left)

Neil

#29: Re: Some Bovington pics... Author: Neil_BaumgardnerLocation: Arlington, VA PostPosted: Sat Jun 10, 2006 9:50 pm
    ----
Thats all for now... I have to get some sleep and head to Paris tomorrow...

Neil

#30: Re: Some Bovington pics... Author: buglerbilly PostPosted: Sun Jun 11, 2006 1:23 am
    ----
Allow me to say Neil, superb images as usual.............. Wink

Regards,

BUG

-> AFV News Discussion Board