Bovington Tank Museum pics... Some ID Help Needed
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next  :| |:
-> AFV News Discussion Board

#31: Re: Some Bovington pics... Author: Neil_BaumgardnerLocation: Arlington, VA PostPosted: Sun Jun 11, 2006 7:34 am
    ----
No problem. I also got some decent pics at the Royal Artillery Museum at Woolwich yesterday.

My favorite was definately "Green Mace":
www.skomer.u-net.com/p...enmace.htm

The SP70 was also pretty cool, and it was interesting to see an M44 with the screen intact & up.

Neil

#32: Re: Some Bovington pics... Author: challenger PostPosted: Sun Jun 11, 2006 10:00 am
    ----
Neil Glad you had a good trip, take it they were not helpful in letting you into the reserve collection?

#33: Re: Some Bovington pics... Author: Neil_BaumgardnerLocation: Arlington, VA PostPosted: Sun Jun 11, 2006 2:00 pm
    ----
- challenger
Neil Glad you had a good trip, take it they were not helpful in letting you into the reserve collection?

Nah, unfortunately I wasnt able to set it up soon enough. Apparently they're very busy getting ready for TankFest on the 25th & 26th. Next time I guess...

Neil

#34: Re: Some Bovington pics... Author: JimWebLocation: The back of beyond PostPosted: Sun Jun 11, 2006 7:14 pm
    ----
- buglerbilly
Allow me to say Neil, superb images as usual

Just a pity the thread takes forever to load....

Neill? new topic for each set of images?

Cool

#35: Re: Some Bovington pics... Author: Neil_BaumgardnerLocation: Arlington, VA PostPosted: Sun Jun 11, 2006 7:31 pm
    ----
Nah, sorry - I think the same rule applies to this thread as your website updates. Similar to the way I started putting all my images in one post instead of one per post on the old board - otherwise this board will be full of Bovington pic threads by the time I am done...

neil

#36: Re: Some Bovington Tank Museum pics... Author: buglerbilly PostPosted: Sun Jun 11, 2006 7:59 pm
    ----
Neill,

You going ro Eurosatory 2006 whilst in France, which starts today, Monday 12th June?

Regards,

BUG

#37: Re: Some Bovington Tank Museum pics... Author: Neil_BaumgardnerLocation: Arlington, VA PostPosted: Sun Jun 11, 2006 8:03 pm
    ----
Some 1930s British tanks:

A9 Cruiser Mk I

A10 Cruiser Mk IIACS

A11 Matilda I

A13 Cruiser Mk III: This is a Christie design, note the suspension in the last picture.

Neil

#38: Re: Some Bovington Tank Museum pics... Author: Neil_BaumgardnerLocation: Arlington, VA PostPosted: Sun Jun 11, 2006 8:06 pm
    ----
- buglerbilly
Neill,

You going To Eurosatory 2006 whilst in France, which starts today, Monday 12th June?

Why yes actually I will Wink - starts tomorrow Monday June 12 that is... I will have pics... Are you in town for it by chance?

In fact, since photobucket now supports video hosting, I may also have some videos of the demos...

But I cant promise how soon I will have time to take & upload pics/videos though...

Neil

#39: Re: Some Bovington Tank Museum pics... Author: Neil_BaumgardnerLocation: Arlington, VA PostPosted: Sun Jun 11, 2006 8:17 pm
    ----
Some early German vehicles

PzKpfw II Ausf N

Sd.Kfz. 251 Hanomag SPW

Neil

#40: Re: Some Bovington Tank Museum pics... Author: Neil_BaumgardnerLocation: Arlington, VA PostPosted: Sun Jun 11, 2006 8:33 pm
    ----
French vehicles

Char B1 bis

Somua S35

Renault UE

Neil

#41: Re: Some Bovington Tank Museum pics... Author: Neil_BaumgardnerLocation: Arlington, VA PostPosted: Sun Jun 11, 2006 8:48 pm
    ----
More British WWII armor

Cromwell Mk IV

Centaur turret

Universal Carrier

Neil

#42: Re: Some Bovington Tank Museum pics... Author: Neil_BaumgardnerLocation: Arlington, VA PostPosted: Sun Jun 11, 2006 9:15 pm
    ----
A few Shermans:

M4A1 Sherman "Michael" - the first British Sherman. Note the bow MGs. Bovington also claims this is the oldest surviving Sherman. Can anyone contest this?

M4A4 Sherman Firefly

M4A4 Sherman Crab

Sherman DD (not sure which model?)

There was a staff-member going around the museum checking all the signs - so I had to contest the "only surviving Sherman DD" claim Wink

Friendly conversation actually. He wasnt aware of the Ordnance Museum at Aberdeen. I did concede Bovington likely has the only intact (with the exception of the cutout window) Sherman DD.

Although I hope/assume thats not an original screen they cut into (then again it is a little ratty for a repro) - if not the Ordnance Museum easily could do the same thing with its Sherman Easy Eight DD someday.

Neil

#43: Re: Some Bovington Tank Museum pics... Author: buglerbilly PostPosted: Sun Jun 11, 2006 10:34 pm
    ----
Why yes actually I will - starts tomorrow Monday June 12 that is... I will have pics... Are you in town for it by chance?

Unfortunately no not this time as I am being House Husband in addition to my own career whilst my Ex is in the States on business..........and Paris is usually so nice at this time of year! Rolling Eyes

Regards,

BUG

#44: Re: Some Bovington Tank Museum pics... Author: jtrowbridge5 PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2006 2:50 pm
    ----
dd sherman was discussed after my museum visit in april

www.com-central.net/in...ht=sherman

#45: Re: Some Bovington Tank Museum pics... Author: Neil_BaumgardnerLocation: Arlington, VA PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2006 5:50 pm
    ----
Some more armored cars:

Humber

Morris light reconnaissance car

Bison - this is a truck (or "lorry") armored with concrete

Neil

-> AFV News Discussion Board