Bovington Tank Museum pics... Some ID Help Needed
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  :| |:
-> AFV News Discussion Board

#61: Re: Bovington Tank Museum pics... Some ID Help Needed Author: Hanno_Spoelstra PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2006 2:58 pm
    ----
- Neil_Baumgardner
Similarly, are these Sherman rollers?

img.photobucket.com/al...ollers.jpg

No they are not (but don't ask me what type of mine roller system they do belong to).

Hanno

#62: Re: Identification Help Needed Author: Hanno_Spoelstra PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2006 3:05 pm
    ----
- Neil_Baumgardner
I need some help identifying this armored car. The sign does not appear to match the vehicle?

img.photobucket.com/al...stery5.jpg

Ex-Irish Army Swedish-built Landsverk L-180 armoured car.

H.

#63: Re: Identification Help Needed Author: Neil_BaumgardnerLocation: Arlington, VA PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2006 4:58 pm
    ----
- Hanno_Spoelstra
- Neil_Baumgardner
I need some help identifying this armored car. The sign does not appear to match the vehicle?

img.photobucket.com/al...stery5.jpg

H.

Thanks Hanno! I was pretty certain it wasnt whatever the sign said...

Neil

#64: Re: Bovington Tank Museum pics... Some ID Help Needed Author: JimWebLocation: The back of beyond PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2006 7:32 pm
    ----
- Neil_Baumgardner
[How about you just let it load in a seperate window while you're doing whatever else? I hate to leave you out of this... I may have to look into the photobucket album options...

Solved it by hastily finishing my Linux server and accessing it from there...

Cool

#65: Re: Bovington Tank Museum pics... Some ID Help Needed Author: JimWebLocation: The back of beyond PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2006 7:43 pm
    ----
- Neil_Baumgardner
Any idea what this is a model of?Neil

Looks like one of the old armour school models. As part of one of armour courses the students had to design a main battle tank. This looks like one of the models produced by one of the courses. IIRC there was quite a collection of them.

Cool

#66: Re: Identification Help Needed Author: JimWebLocation: The back of beyond PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2006 7:45 pm
    ----
- Hanno_Spoelstra

H.

I think that by the time they left Irish Army service the only remnant of landsverk was the armour... the rest was Ford.

Cool

#67: Re: Some Bovington pics... Author: Neil_BaumgardnerLocation: Arlington, VA PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2006 11:39 pm
    ----
- clausb

They also have a Whippet in the Belgian Museum of Armour in Brussels (and a Mk IV IIRC).

Claus B

Claus, thanks for the info. Another case of me taking the APG Ordnance Museum guidebook for granted. Wink

Apparently there are surviving Mk A Whippets in the Ordnance Museum at Aberdeen Proving Ground, USA; CFB Borden, Canada; the Tank Museum, Bovington, UK; the Royal Army Museum in Brussels, Belgium; and the Armour College at Pretoria, South Africa.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Whippet_Mk_A

Neil

#68: Re: Some Bovington pics... Author: Coldsteel PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2006 1:52 am
    ----
- Neil_Baumgardner

Mk II medium tank. The Ordnance Museum CD guide claims their Mk IIA "believed to be the only remaining example equipped with a 3-pounder gun (most had 2-pounders)." However, I cant find any reference to Mk IIs with 2-pounders, and this one appears to have a 3-pounder. Besides which, the APG Mk IIA isnt currently equipped with any gun... Hmm...

Neil

That can't be right, the RAAC's MkII is fitted with exactly the same gun. See here: www.armytankmuseum.com.au/i-vd.htm

Unless they're being needlessly pedantic, the RAAC one is a slightly different model, a "Mk II special", not a MkIIA, it dosen't have the radio bustle and the MGs are setup a little differently. Still a Vickers Medium MkII though.

-> AFV News Discussion Board