Large Hard Drives...
-> Hardware

#1: Large Hard Drives... Author: Hangman PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2005 4:34 pm
    ----
I just recently installed a new 160 HD, and of course I knew nothing of the fact that windows would fail to recognize anything over 137gb..so I've got 20gb my pc can't even see let alone use..I started trying to investigate this and found the cause, however after reading microsoft's "simple" fix its beyond me..(see link)

support.microsoft.com/...-us;303013

does anyone here know and fast & easy way to enable this 48-bit capability??..any help would be appreciated

(yes I know know I should have went with 2 smaller drives, hindsite is 20-20 you know)

#2: Re: Large Hard Drives... Author: JG300-StoopyLocation: Group W bench PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2005 4:51 pm
    ----
Gawddangit!

You'd have to ask! LOL! I have a 160GB HD on my stanky Dell system, and I see all of it. I aso ran into this, but DAMNED if I can recall what I did.

Thinking back here...'cuz it's been awhile......I was using Maxtor's utility software to partition, format and move everything over. I recall, it griped like hell about this. I ended up using the command-line-based version (that you boot from floppy) and after a couple of tries, got it going. The windows version of their stuff was (like usual) easier to use and more firendly, but less powerful since it was dealing with the limitions that I suppose XP was putting in place upon starting.

Even so I'll tell you that having "tricked" it, makes me very nervous. Partition tables have a way of not living up to their promises in such conditions. I did something similar a while back, and when the drive got over halfway full....it went wayyyyy wacky. I suspect the file allocation table got corrupted (actually I know this is what happened) and spent days on trying workarounds.

If I had to do it all over again, I would do what Mom says and make a 137Gb partition on it, and use the balance as aother logical drive. I mean, that's a lotta room, and there's gotta be plenty of stuff (like ZIP files, data, etc) that can easily be managed on it's own partition. My two cents brudda.

#3: Re: Large Hard Drives... Author: Shadow_BshwackrLocation: Central Illinois, USA PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2005 7:57 pm
    ----
Yep, split the ole girl up into smaller more usable partitions. I use a program called Partition Magic and it's one sweet program and can partition on the fly as well as find unused space....:wink:

#4: Re: Large Hard Drives... Author: NS38th_Nil_7 PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2005 5:15 am
    ----
If you have an Intel chipset, you could try the Intel application acclerator which should enable the 48 bit logical block addressing:

But that's not all. The Intel application acceleration also includes 48-bit logical block addressing. That means that you can use hard disks larger than 137GB. In addition, the Application Accelerator will automatically detect and optimize the transfer modes of your storage devices as high as possible to ensure that your hardware is running at top speed.

Others with supported Intel chipsets should try this as well. It really improves performance.

www.extremetech.com/ar...897,00.asp

#5: Re: Large Hard Drives... Author: Shadow_BshwackrLocation: Central Illinois, USA PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2005 6:51 am
    ----
Really good info about the 'paging file' in that article...Thanks Nil!!

#6: Re: Large Hard Drives... Author: Shadow_HomfixrLocation: Fort Walton Beach, FL-USA PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2005 1:14 pm
    ----
I'm running XP Pro on a AMD 64 3400+ machine and XP sees all my 200 gig hard drive. Must be the Pro part I guess...lol. Interesting story bout Intel application accleration proggy. Is there anything out there for AMD to speed up the tranfer modes of my storage devices? Just curious.

#7: Re: Large Hard Drives... Author: Hangman PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2005 8:35 pm
    ----
I'm running XP pro as well, it didn't see mine..however partition magic worked fine Wink
thanks Bush!

#8: Re: Large Hard Drives... Author: hey_moe PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2005 5:50 pm
    ----
Pentium 4 CPU 3.00GHz 800MHz OC 3.30 / 2 GIG Kingston PC3200 DDR400 Hyper X RAM / 2 WD Raptor 36.7 GB 10,000RPM in Raid 0 mode/ 1 WD 120GB 7200RPM / NVIDIA 6800 ULTRA DDR3 AGP 8X / ABIT IC7-G Mother Board / DSL 1500/128/ INTEL 875E Chip/ Thermalake X Tower/ OCX 550 Watt Power Supply / Zalman 7000a CPU Blower / Dual TFT LCD Color 19 inch monitors / Sony DVD R/RW / Sony CD R/RW / Iomega 250 Zip drive / Intel Pro/1000 CT Network/ Ext 80 Hard drive / Sound Blaster Audigy 2.ZS/ Logitech 5.1 THX . I am running XP Pro and updated to SP2....I didn't have a problem detected any of the drive. A total of 4 drives on this system...Mike

#9: Re: Large Hard Drives... Author: [sbf]ttf PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2005 8:05 pm
    ----
hey_moe ... none of your hard drives are over 137 gigs , thus the problem will not apply to your scenario.

I think the addressing problem was fixed by M$ with one of the service packs for XP (i think it was SP1). I currently use a XP Pro disk with slipstreamed SP2 when installing which detects large (200+GB) drives just fine.

-> Hardware