Vehicles from Dutch Cavaleriemuseum-Amersfoort
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  :| |:
-> AFV News Discussion Board

#31: Re: Vehicles from Dutch Cavaleriemuseum-Amersfoort Author: Hanno_Spoelstra PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2006 11:25 am
    ----
- servicepub
Re: Ram tank,
Doug, May I use your photo on my RamTank page? Also, Is there any way to get the number, stamped in 1 inch (2.5cm) letters on the front of the final drive chassis - usually on the mudguard support bar that crosses horizontally?
This Ram may ne an elusive Command/OP tank and there are few (if any) survivors.

This is a Ram II with 75-mm (!) gun, with all apertures welded over, hence the remark it was used as a target tank. As far as I can tell, both modifications were carried out while it was in use with 1CACRU in the UK, before being transferred to the Dutch Army in 1947, together with 43 others.

Hanno

#32: Re: Vehicles from Dutch Cavaleriemuseum-Amersfoort Author: Hanno_Spoelstra PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2006 9:25 pm
    ----
- servicepub
Also, Is there any way to get the number, stamped in 1 inch (2.5cm) letters on the front of the final drive chassis - usually on the mudguard support bar that crosses horizontally?

Clive, am home now - looked up the numbers:

Shop No. 1207
WD Census No. CT-159451

Cheers,
Hanno

#33: Re: Vehicles from Dutch Cavaleriemuseum-Amersfoort Author: Doug_KibbeyLocation: The Great Satan PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2006 9:51 pm
    ----
Ya' just gotta' love this place....knowhutahmean? Laughing

#34: Re: Vehicles from Dutch Cavaleriemuseum-Amersfoort Author: L.Delsing PostPosted: Sat Jul 08, 2006 7:41 pm
    ----
[quote="Doug_Kibbey"]
- Hellfish6
I still think Centurions are the coolest tanks ever.

Well, just for you, then.... Smile

[img]http://[quote]

KX-15-10 was always at the army barracks at Havelte (NLD) were it was maintained by 42nd Tank Battalion. Last time I visited Havelte (dec03) it was in excellent condition.

Hope they will keep it that way and don't use it for spare parts for the museums other Centurion.

Regards,
Lesley

#35: Re: Vehicles from Dutch Cavaleriemuseum-Amersfoort Author: L.Delsing PostPosted: Sat Jul 08, 2006 8:04 pm
    ----
Hi Lesley...
I suppose they were just being cautions at the post about pics...everybody from the armor school thingy was at a big game and we were kinda' informally poking around one in a shop bay. Pity about no pics because the light was kinda' bad in there and I couldn't see much, expecially in the gunner's "cave".
Any pics from the fighting compartment would be welcome (and I bet the forum would like to see 'em too...hint-hint) No rush...I leave for Brasil again by about the 12th.

Say, I noticed two things: I didn't see anyway to manually open the breech of the main gun...is there one?
And, where is the switch for the ammo doors for the loader? It's a knee thing on the M1, but I didn't see anything similar on the Leo.

Well, whenever you get a chance (I'll PM you my email, too)

Speaking of older Leopards, there was this 'un....

Cheers!
D.[/quote]

No problem, when you e-mail me I will send you pics from the inside (loader, gunner, driver and commander). I will try to figure out how that photobucket program works.

About opening the breech, for loading the first round it is manually opened. The ''tool'' you need for that is located under the breech. The English name I don't know but in Dutch it is called the ''sluitstukhefboom''. This you place in a ''opening'' and then you can open it manually.

The switch for opening the door of the bunker is loceted on the outer turret wall of the loaders place at ''elbow level''. Its a big black switch, to open the bunkerdoor the loader will hit this switch with his elbow, door is opening, take out a round, hit switch and load the round and push on the ''fire'' button.

Hope this clarifies it a little bit, unfortunately I don't know the English words for those items.
Regards,
Lesley

#36: Re: Vehicles from Dutch Cavaleriemuseum-Amersfoort Author: Doug_KibbeyLocation: The Great Satan PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2006 12:22 pm
    ----
- L.Delsing
- Doug_Kibbey
- Hellfish6
I still think Centurions are the coolest tanks ever.

Well, just for you, then.... Smile

[img]http://

KX-15-10 was always at the army barracks at Havelte (NLD) were it was maintained by 42nd Tank Battalion. Last time I visited Havelte (dec03) it was in excellent condition.

Hope they will keep it that way and don't use it for spare parts for the museums other Centurion.

Regards,
Lesley

Lesley,
Well, the one IN the museum is pretty pristine, nicest I've ever seen so probably doesn't lack for parts (Super complete stowage outside, too). There was a third Cent just to my right when I took the pic of KX-15-10, it looked a better candidate as a "donor vehicle" should one be needed. It was partially covered by a tarp, but looked to be in more worn and weathered conditions. I can't be sure how complete it is. KX-15-10 needs to find a home indoors though, or it'll soon start to look like the other one.

Thanks for the info in you other post about the breech and ammo doors.

Check your PM's, I notice the one with my email is still in my outbox so you haven't picked it up yet. Or you could PM me yours and I'll respond that way for the interior shots. Gonna' be away from Jul 12-21st on vacation...I might be able to logon but never sure...

Cheers,
Doug

#37: Re: Vehicles from Dutch Cavaleriemuseum-Amersfoort Author: L.Delsing PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2006 8:37 pm
    ----
Hello Doug,
Checked my e-mail, at 102333BJUL no messages. My e-mail is panzerdels @ yahoo.com

Centurion mk.3 KX-10-30 to Maaldrift (NLD)
Centurion mk.5/2 ‘’KX-14-86’’ std, ex Seedorf (DEU) apr05
Centurion mk.5/2 KX-15-10 std, ex Havelte (NLD) jun06
Centurion mk.5/2 KX-15-20 pre jul06
Centurion mk.5/2 15-30-147 KX-15-30 std aug02

Maaldrift is the storage for the army museum in Delft. I realy hope this mk.3 survived.

Have a nice vacation and a safe trip!
Regards,
Lesley

#38: Re: Vehicles from Dutch Cavaleriemuseum-Amersfoort Author: Roy_A_LingleLocation: El Paso & Ft Bliss, Texas PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2006 6:29 am
    ----
- Doug_Kibbey

[img]http://www.com-central.net/modules/coppermine/albums/userpics/10454/normal_dutchsherman%7E0.jpg[/img]

Would this vehicle have an E9 suspension installed on it?

Working on my standing as a Shermanholic.
Sgt, Scouts Out! Smile

#39: Re: Vehicles from Dutch Cavaleriemuseum-Amersfoort Author: SHAWN PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2006 5:13 pm
    ----
yes it is roy.

-> AFV News Discussion Board