Ropkey Armor Museum - ID Help Needed
-> AFV News Discussion Board

#1: Ropkey Armor Museum - ID Help Needed Author: Neil_BaumgardnerLocation: Arlington, VA PostPosted: Tue Jul 04, 2006 3:02 am
    ----
What is the tank in the left of this picture?

I am thinking its not US?

Also, I see a barrel over that half-track - is that an M3 tank destroyer?

Neil

#2: Re: Ropkey Armor Museum - ID Help Needed Author: Neil_BaumgardnerLocation: Arlington, VA PostPosted: Tue Jul 04, 2006 3:05 am
    ----
Oops, here's a better pic, still not quite registering.

Obviously the half-track isnt a tank destroyer.

Neil

#3: Re: Ropkey Armor Museum - ID Help Needed Author: Doug_KibbeyLocation: The Great Satan PostPosted: Tue Jul 04, 2006 3:05 am
    ----
I'm thinking the barrel over the half-track is another water-jacketed MG like in the foreground.

Don't know about the tank, but does it say "U.S. Marines 1943" on the side?

Last edited by Doug_Kibbey on Tue Jul 04, 2006 3:07 am; edited 1 time in total

#4: Re: Ropkey Armor Museum - ID Help Needed Author: Doug_KibbeyLocation: The Great Satan PostPosted: Tue Jul 04, 2006 3:06 am
    ----
Dood, we posted in the same minute...so I didn't see the other pic (but I'm right about the water jacket Wink )

#5: Re: Ropkey Armor Museum - ID Help Needed Author: Neil_BaumgardnerLocation: Arlington, VA PostPosted: Tue Jul 04, 2006 3:13 am
    ----
I was actually noticing the howitzer barrel, just to the left of the MG barrel..

Its a Japanese tank - I should have known that by the turret, I knew it looked familiar somehow. Identifying the exact model now.

Neil

#6: Re: Ropkey Armor Museum - ID Help Needed Author: buglerbilly PostPosted: Tue Jul 04, 2006 3:25 am
    ----
It looks like the Type 95 "Ha-Go" Light Tank: -

The Light Tank Type 95 Ha-Go dated from 1935. It had a layout similar to that of the Tankette Type 94 (with enlarged road wheels and improved springing) and a crew increased to three.
By 1939 about 100 had been produced, more than any other Japanese tank.
Despite being one of the most important Japanese tanks, the Ha-Go, due to its light armoured protection, insufficient crew visibilty and poor gunnery must be judged a failure.
Production ceased in 1943.

Type 95 "Ha-Go"
Weight : 7.6 ton
Dimensions: 4.38 x 2.05 x 2.18 mt
Armor (max) : 12 mm
Range : 160 km
Speed (max - route) : 45 km/hr
Main gun : n.1 37 mm
Crew : 3

#7: Re: Ropkey Armor Museum - ID Help Needed Author: Neil_BaumgardnerLocation: Arlington, VA PostPosted: Tue Jul 04, 2006 3:29 am
    ----
Its a Type 97 Shinhoto Chi-Ha.

www3.plala.or.jp/takih...inhoto.htm

I realized the Armour Archive's list of preserved Japanese tanks was the best source - although this one isnt listed. But it did have better pics to help with ID:
www.armourarchive.co.uk/pjt.htm

Neil

#8: Re: Ropkey Armor Museum - Type 97 Author: JeffStringer PostPosted: Tue Jul 04, 2006 3:24 pm
    ----
Yeah, it's the only vehicle in the actual museum that is not running.

#9: Re: Ropkey Armor Museum - ID Help Needed Author: Hellfish6Location: Orlando PostPosted: Tue Jul 04, 2006 4:09 pm
    ----
Where is this museum?

#10: Re: Ropkey Armor Museum - ID Help Needed Author: JeffStringer PostPosted: Tue Jul 04, 2006 4:35 pm
    ----
Ropkey

#11: Re: Ropkey Armor Museum - ID Help Needed Author: Hellfish6Location: Orlando PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2006 3:19 am
    ----
Oh holy crap. I gotta go to Camp Atterbury next week. Guess I'll take a little detour...

#12: Re: Ropkey Armor Museum - ID Help Needed Author: DontosLocation: Vine Grove, KY PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2006 3:40 am
    ----
- Hellfish6
Oh holy crap. I gotta go to Camp Atterbury next week. Guess I'll take a little detour...

Camp Atterbury & The Ropkey Museum in Crawfordsville have a few things in common.

Besides being both in Indiana, that is......

Atterbury has a prototype Ontos & Ropkey has an Ontos. If you happen by either, a few updated photos would be real cool.

I'm waaay overdue for a trip up north to see both and perhaps hit the Auburn Museum also.

Don

#13: Re: Ropkey Armor Museum - ID Help Needed Author: JeffStringer PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2006 10:59 am
    ----
Here's a few from my last visit to hold you over:

I haven't taken any photos at Camp Atterbury since they've all been repainted!

#14: Re: Ropkey Armor Museum - ID Help Needed Author: bsmartLocation: Central Maryland PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2006 12:10 pm
    ----
- Neil_Baumgardner
I was actually noticing the howitzer barrel, just to the left of the MG barrel..

Its a Japanese tank - I should have known that by the turret, I knew it looked familiar somehow. Identifying the exact model now.

Neil

It should have looked familiar There is one at Aberdeen!! Rolling Eyes

And I don't think it's a halftrack. I think it may be a Scout Car ( I can't remember the M number I think it is M2 or M3) Looks the same from the front but has a rear axle instead of a track unit. It's hard to tell from this angle but the top line of the doors makes me think it is the Scout Car

#15: Re: Ropkey Armor Museum - ID Help Needed Author: 68BarracudaLocation: Ridgecrest Ca. (China Lake NAWC) PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2006 6:47 am
    ----
Yep....it's a Scout car, Rear armor slopes down a bit, half-track armor is level all the way 'round. White M-3 I think.

-> AFV News Discussion Board