Teaser #1 from Ft. Lewis
Go to page 1, 2  Next  :| |:
-> AFV News Discussion Board

#1: Teaser #1 from Ft. Lewis Author: C_Sherman PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2006 3:58 pm
    ----
M103A1, at the Ft. Lewis post museum. Apparently they served here for a few years. I knew it was a big mother, but until you stand next to it, and climb up on it's turret, you have no sense of how huge it is.

Serial No., the best I could get:

Cheers,
C

Last edited by C_Sherman on Wed Jul 05, 2006 4:54 pm; edited 2 times in total

#2: Re: Teaser #1 from Ft. Lewis Author: C_Sherman PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2006 4:05 pm
    ----
Hmmm...so what's the trick to getting the pics themselves to show up? Let me know so I can edit these to work.

C

Last edited by C_Sherman on Wed Jul 05, 2006 4:44 pm; edited 1 time in total

#3: Re: Teaser #1 from Ft. Lewis Author: Doug_KibbeyLocation: The Great Satan PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2006 4:10 pm
    ----
Not sure what's up, Chuck. I can go to the URL, but no pic shows for me even if I cut-and-paste to my URL window.

How big are these files? Can you view them?

Is it possible that only subscribers can see?

Doug

#4: Re: Teaser #1 from Ft. Lewis Author: C_Sherman PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2006 4:22 pm
    ----
Thanks for the help, Doug. See if this works better.

C

Last edited by C_Sherman on Wed Jul 05, 2006 4:45 pm; edited 1 time in total

#5: Re: Teaser #1 from Ft. Lewis Author: Doug_KibbeyLocation: The Great Satan PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2006 4:49 pm
    ----
Chuck, I see your pics in the gallery....now you have to highlight them, copy the "properties" (right click) and then when you post, click the little "picture box" (below the "Bold" square) on the tools above the reply window. Paste it in there and away you go!

Voila!

#6: Re: Teaser #1 from Ft. Lewis Author: C_Sherman PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2006 4:55 pm
    ----
Got it! Thanks!

C

#7: Re: Teaser #1 from Ft. Lewis Author: Hellfish6Location: Orlando PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2006 10:51 am
    ----
Anybody know where there might be other M103s? I'm on the opposite coast from Lewis, but I'd really like to see one. I don't remember seeing one at Quantico or Knox - though I seem to remember Knox having one in storage (which I can't get access to).

#8: Re: Teaser #1 from Ft. Lewis Author: LeeW PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2006 11:05 am
    ----
There used to be one at TACOM in Warrnen MI. I haven't seen it recently. Think it was sent somewhere else but not sure where.

#9: Re: Teaser #1 from Ft. Lewis Author: Doug_KibbeyLocation: The Great Satan PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2006 11:11 am
    ----
- Hellfish6
Anybody know where there might be other M103s? I'm on the opposite coast from Lewis, but I'd really like to see one. I don't remember seeing one at Quantico or Knox - though I seem to remember Knox having one in storage (which I can't get access to).

There's one in the middle of Radcliff, KY outside Ft. Knox that's been there, like, forever...just on 31W.

#10: Re: Teaser #1 from Ft. Lewis Author: DontosLocation: Vine Grove, KY PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2006 12:13 pm
    ----
- Hellfish6

"We" have one in the LST building which is very complete and use to run in Museum programs 'years ago'.

Also one is in Motor Pool but it is a static display vehicle and in poor condition.

The one in Radcliff is static display in front of the chamber of commerse on Hwy 31W (Dixie Hwy).

This is all that I know about in the immediate area. HTH

Don

#11: Re: Teaser #1 from Ft. Lewis Author: bsmartLocation: Central Maryland PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2006 12:17 pm
    ----
I seem to remember there being one at a Navy/Marine Reserve Center in New York. I know that doesn't narrow it down much. I think it was in a thread on the old board a long while back

#12: Re: Teaser #1 from Ft. Lewis Author: Hellfish6Location: Orlando PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2006 12:30 pm
    ----
Ah yeah - totally forgot about the one in Radcliff. Seen it many times, too.

Out of curiosity, does anyone have a list of all the stuff the Armor museum has off display?

#13: Re: Teaser #1 from Ft. Lewis Author: DontosLocation: Vine Grove, KY PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2006 12:37 pm
    ----
- Hellfish6
Ah yeah - totally forgot about the one in Radcliff. Seen it many times, too.

Out of curiosity, does anyone have a list of all the stuff the Armor museum has off display?

The best list available is on Armor For The Ages

This list is a little dated, but mostly complete.

Don

#14: Re: Teaser #1 from Ft. Lewis Author: grockwood PostPosted: Sun Jul 09, 2006 1:59 am
    ----
I remember back in the early 80's there was a M103 parked in front of the Alabama National Guard or Reserve in Montgomery Al. Don't know if it still there or not.

#15: Re: Teaser #1 from Ft. Lewis Author: jcneelLocation: Victoria, Texas PostPosted: Sun Jul 09, 2006 2:44 am
    ----
Isn't the vehicle in the first photo an M103A2? I thought the A2's were the ones with the diesel engines - as witnessed by the Patton style engine deck (late M48's and M60's). Although I also read that there were many A1's converted to the A2 configuration, but thought that all of these had gone to the US Marines. Were A2's used by the US Army as well? Seems to be more than one A2 found an an Army base museum or display.

Out at Fort Hood they have a T43 on display at the 4th INF Div Museum. I have posted photos of that one here before. That one still has the lower gasoline engine type deck.

Accurate Armour in the UK has a 1/35 M103A2 kit on their Future Release list. I am anxiously awaiting this one! Hopefully will be out later this year, but my luck it will not be out until later.

cn

-> AFV News Discussion Board