Leopard tanks back in the news Ottawa Citizen story
Go to page Previous  1, 2  :| |:
-> AFV News Discussion Board

#16: Leopard at RMC Author: Scott_TaylorLocation: London, Ontario PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2006 1:18 pm
    ----
Hello:

That's definitely a new acquisition at RMC. It was not there in early June when I went to RMC and CFB Kingston tank-hunting. There is a Leopard 1A4 on display at CFB Borden and I was told at an MV show in Scarborough last weekend that there are two privately owned Leopards just west of Toronto. I don't know whether they are ex-Canadian Leopards or from another country (apparently the Leopard 1 on display at the Canadian War Museum is an AS1? I hope to confirm that when I return there in August.

Cheers,

Scott Taylor

#17: Re: Leopard tanks back in the news Ottawa Citizen story Author: mike_Duplessis PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2006 5:47 pm
    ----
keeping the Leopard does make a kind of sense if you envision that
(1) The likelyhood of actual toe-to-toe tank warfare nowadays is extremely low;
(2) Wherever you want to go you'll be able to hitch a ride - from borrowed U.S. airlift to leased Russian commercial heavy transport.
(3) Whatever mission you're assigned it'd be advisable to be able to carry more than a mere handful of rounds in the vehicle.
(4) If most of your missions are just to 'show the flag' these days, nothing shows the flag quite like a big German-made tank.
(5) If 'they' really want to nail you they're going to nail you, no matter how much protection you've got (witnessed the 80-90 Abrams that have been K.O.d in Iraq to date)
(6) You've got more urgent stuff to spend your hard-earned tax money on than replacing already-paid-for 1970s Leopard 1s. Wink

#18: Re: Leopard at RMC Author: Coldsteel PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2006 1:00 am
    ----
- Scott_Taylor
Hello:
I don't know whether they are ex-Canadian Leopards or from another country (apparently the Leopard 1 on display at the Canadian War Museum is an AS1? I hope to confirm that when I return there in August.

Cheers,

Scott Taylor

I don't see how that would be possible, from memory Canada at one point got a load of turrets from Germany (I think) that came complete with hulls, Australia then aquired several of the Ex-Canadian turrets for spares and one of these Canadian Leo turret and a German hull ended up at Puckapunyal at the RAAC tank museum as an AS1 mockup. But I've never heard of Leo parts going the other way, sure it hasn't been confused with this one?

See the las three photos here:
anzacsteel.hobbyvista....rdph_4.htm

#19: Re: Leopard tanks back in the news Ottawa Citizen story Author: Maple_Leaf_Eh PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2006 8:53 pm
    ----
So that was where our old 1976 turrets went. I wondered about them - not that I missed sleep or drove off the road from the distraction.

The hulls were explained as, 'turret transporters' in the press release. Which seems like a pretty coy description for the essential bottom half of the whole tank.

-> AFV News Discussion Board