Olifant Mk Ib MBT - photos
-> AFV News Discussion Board

#1: Olifant Mk Ib MBT - photos Author: DirkLocation: South Africa PostPosted: Sat Jul 15, 2006 5:37 am
    ----

Note that this particular tank has the old-style Centurion tracks on.

Enjoy

Dirk

PS - Olifant = Elephant Wink

#2: Re: Olifant Mk Ib MBT - photos Author: Roy_A_LingleLocation: El Paso & Ft Bliss, Texas PostPosted: Sat Jul 15, 2006 1:05 pm
    ----
Hi Dirk! Hi Folks!

Thanks for the photos! Interesting upgrade. I guess that old type track block still works best for the terrian that vehicle is working in.

Sgt, Scouts Out! Smile

#3: Re: Olifant Mk Ib MBT - photos Author: Hellfish6Location: Orlando PostPosted: Sun Jul 16, 2006 3:10 am
    ----
Can I have permission to post these on another forum (Militaryphotos.net)? There are several active SA threads there - this would be very interesting to them.

#4: Re: Olifant Mk Ib MBT - photos Author: Maple_Leaf_Eh PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2006 12:15 pm
    ----
I hadn't given the subject much thought until your pictures appeared. Obviously SA has kept its tanks and not gone over to wheeled Roekats (sp?) and the lighter types. Anything new or distinctive about this particular tank (beyond the old fashioned track)?

On a completely different related thread, apparently the Canadians in Afghanistan are getting full value from their South African-built British Aerospace/Olifant Manufacturing Company (OMC) RG-31 Mine Proofed Vehicles.

The RG-31s are being used on the battlefield as heavy wheeled liaison vehicles, with room for staff, troops and supplies and strong enough to defeat a 14kg IED. The next heavier vehicle the Canadians have is an 8-wheeled Bison APC with more ass and trash stuffed in the back end. Interestingly, many of the crews on these vehicles are artillerymen not otherwise employed on the 155mm guns.

#5: Re: Olifant Mk Ib MBT - photos Author: DirkLocation: South Africa PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2006 5:02 pm
    ----
Interesting info on the use of the RG-31 MPV - thanks Smile

The Olifant Mk Ib has torsion bar suspension , better armour protection and a re-engineered engine compartment.

The optics on the Olifant Mk Ib is also more advanced on the old Olifant Mk Ia.

The old Olifant Mk Ia (used in Angola in the 80s) still had the Horstmann suspension as on the Centurions.

Thus the Olifant Mk Ib has almost nothing in common with the Centurion.

There is a newer version of the Olifant - the Mk 2 . Still looking to view and photograph a Mk 2.

Thinking that the old style Centurion tracks far more suitable for ops in this part of the world.

IIRC the Rooikat is used for recce ops.

Cheers !!

#6: Re: Olifant Mk Ib MBT - photos Author: moby PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2006 9:13 am
    ----
Hi Dirk

Sent you a pm re the photos of the olifant tanks.

Cheers
Moby

-> AFV News Discussion Board