M1121 pics
Go to page Previous  1, 2  :| |:
-> AFV News Discussion Board

#16: Re: M1121 pics Author: Neil_BaumgardnerLocation: Arlington, VA PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2006 12:17 pm
    ----
[quote="Roy_A_Lingle"]Hi Bug! Hi Folks!

- buglerbilly
The Saudi's have asked for a whole bunch of STRYKERS...........

(Source: US Defense Security Cooperation Agency; issued July 20, 2006)
--724 LAV-25, LAV-AG, LAV-M, LAV-AT, LAV-CC, LAV-PC, LAV-A, LAV-AC LAV-E and LAV-R Light Armored Vehicles (LAV);

Not so fast there with that name "Stryker". The Stryker is only ONE branch off the Piranha/LAV FOV tree. Sense General Dynamics Land Combat Systems took over Swiss Mowag, those LAVs could be any of the LAV I, II, III, or IV vehicles. They could also be a mix of 4x4s, 6x6s, 8x8, or 10x10s. The report only listed funcations which I admit sounds like most will be 8x8s. I for one, will be surpised if they turn out to Strykers, I would bet they will be more like the USMC's new LAV II group of vehicles. That term "LAV" now days could mean almost anything.

Those are Gen I LAVs, just like the Marine Corps has. Saudi National Guard has had them for years. This appears to be a big expansion of the fleet.

Neil

#17: Re: M1121 pics Author: buglerbilly PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2006 9:46 pm
    ----
Not so fast there with that name "Stryker". The Stryker is only ONE branch off the Piranha/LAV FOV tree.

Yeah I know BUT as Neil points out the Saudi NG already have LAV I/II's; by inference, and from unofficial sources, it is generally agreed that these will be STRYKER versions of LAV III not LAV 11 or LAV IV. This follows on from policy the Saud's have adopted for years of picking primarily equipment already in service with a major power that can be supported by that Power's companies for many years.

This is just part of a massive Arms buy, they having announced yesterday further huge buys of Eurocopter NH90's, Cougars and other bits that carry out controlled crash landings every time they fly! Mr. Green

I'll post a summary below here............

Regards,

BUG

#18: Re: M1121 pics Author: Neil_BaumgardnerLocation: Arlington, VA PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2006 9:49 pm
    ----
However, the nomenclature used: "LAV-25, LAV-AG, LAV-M, LAV-AT, LAV-CC, LAV-PC, LAV-A, LAV-AC LAV-E and LAV-R" is specific to the Gen I LAVs used by USMC. This nomenclature is not used with the Stryker family of vehicles.

Furthermore, these Gen I LAVs are already in service with the USMC (as well as the Saudi NG) and supported by GD...

Neil

#19: Re: M1121 pics Author: buglerbilly PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2006 10:09 pm
    ----
Perhaps but I will be surprised, very surprised, if they procure LAV I's..............mind you my idiot Defence Ministry in Australia managed to procure ASLAV I's for the second batch instead of LAV III's as my alternate homeland New Zealand procured!

To be honest, I really cannot see the reasoning to go backwards, and the maintenance commonality argument is mostly moot considering the detailed differences between the Batch 1 & 2 ASLAV's...........the fact they then procured ABRAMS is a (massive) saving grace in my eyes not that they give a damn what I think! Wink

Regards,

BUG

#20: Re: M1121 pics Author: buglerbilly PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2006 9:53 pm
    ----
I recant!

The more and more I read on this, the more it looks like the older generation design will be procured, BUT why?

I find it a complete puzzle, but then again I did for the ASLAV Batch 2's.............

-> AFV News Discussion Board