Speaking of Sergeant Yorks - Nevada desert?
-> AFV News Discussion Board

#1: Speaking of Sergeant Yorks - Nevada desert? Author: Neil_BaumgardnerLocation: Arlington, VA PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2006 9:15 pm
    ----
Sure looks like a York turret to me...

www.geocaching.com/see...ab98e0964a

Here's the geocaching description: " Found this tank while searching for cache GCGE7H. This is one of numerous tanks and other military vehicles scattered about the Nevada desert to be used for identification training for the Naval Strike and Air Warfare Center (sometimes referred to as TOPGUN)."

This map shows it truly in the middle of the Nevada desert
boulter.com/gps/?c=N+3...B0+04.165+

Yahoo maps says its in the vicinity of "Dixie Valley"

Neil

#2: Re: Speaking of Sergeant Yorks - Nevada desert? Author: C_Sherman PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2006 11:08 pm
    ----
NAS Fallon, NV...probably in the target arrays in the air manuever areas. Just outside of Nowhere USA. Cold in the winter, hot in the summer, dry most of the time. Not usually accessible to the public, so I'd guess either a gov't employee or a service member is the one that found it.

C

#3: Re: Speaking of Sergeant Yorks - Nevada desert? Author: Neil_BaumgardnerLocation: Arlington, VA PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2006 11:29 pm
    ----
Oddly enough the map doesnt show it on USG property like it usually does....

Neil

#4: Re: Speaking of Sergeant Yorks - Nevada desert? Author: JG300-AscoutLocation: Cyberspace PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2006 11:36 pm
    ----
And here I thought "Topgun" was a reference to the Fighter Weapons School, formerly at NAS Miramar (now MCAS Miramar).

#5: Re: Speaking of Sergeant Yorks - Nevada desert? Author: Neil_BaumgardnerLocation: Arlington, VA PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2006 11:36 pm
    ----
According to the GPS coords, assuming they are accurate, its about 20 miles north of the northernmost extent of NAS Fallon...

Neil

#6: Re: Speaking of Sergeant Yorks - Nevada desert? Author: Neil_BaumgardnerLocation: Arlington, VA PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2006 11:38 pm
    ----
Miramar is now MCAS Marimar - a Marine air station. TOPGUN moved from Miramar to Fallon, where the Strike Weapons School was, when Miramar shifted from the Navy to the Marine Corps.

Neil

#7: Re: Speaking of Sergeant Yorks - Nevada desert? Author: JG300-AscoutLocation: Cyberspace PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2006 11:45 pm
    ----
- Neil_Baumgardner
Miramar is now MCAS Marimar - a Marine air station. TOPGUN moved from Miramar to Fallon, where the Strike Weapons School was, when Miramar shifted from the Navy to the Marine Corps.

Neil

I wasn't sure "Topgun" was still active in the old sense. I work about a mile and half from the end of the runway at MCAS Miramar these days. I haven't outrun an FA-18 with my Mustang on 163 yet, but I'm workin' on it!

#8: Re: Speaking of Sergeant Yorks - Nevada desert? Author: SFC_Jeff_ButtonLocation: Ft Hood, TX PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2006 5:49 am
    ----
Putting that Hurst shifter into overdrive are you?

-> AFV News Discussion Board