Kubinka Panther Testdrive
Go to page 1, 2  Next  :| |:
-> AFV News Discussion Board

#1: Kubinka Panther Testdrive Author: Rikard_HufschmiedLocation: Stockholm, Sweden PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2006 5:57 pm
    ----
Somehow this videosnippet has slipped under my radar until now. So the Kubinka Panther is running since March this year, now if they could only do something about that horrible paintjob (it is supposed to be accurate???)

Kubinka Panther testdrive at Youtube

Cheers,
Rik

#2: Re: Kubinka Panther Testdrive Author: the_shadockLocation: Normandy, France PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2006 6:50 pm
    ----
One question : is the Fort Knox Panther II in running condition too?
And by the way, do somebody have some nice photos of it, a front-left or front-right picture would be much appreciated. I have some pictures of this Panther II, but only front views, so we can't see the tracks wheels, which are particular on this model.

Cheers,

Pierre-Olivier

#3: Re: Kubinka Panther Testdrive Author: DontosLocation: Vine Grove, KY PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2006 9:30 pm
    ----
- the_shadock
One question : is the Fort Knox Panther II in running condition too?
And by the way, do somebody have some nice photos of it, a front-left or front-right picture would be much appreciated. I have some pictures of this Panther II, but only front views, so we can't see the tracks wheels, which are particular on this model.
Cheers,
Pierre-Olivier

The Panther II was restored back in the 70's-80's to operational condition. It was used in a number of 'Drive-By' events. I've heard a number of reasons for parking 'her'. But 'she' has been on display in her current location for long time. Interior wise she is decently 'functional'.

I've got to go by tomorrow, and will take camera and get some 'new' shots for you.

Don

#4: Re: Kubinka Panther Testdrive Author: jcneelLocation: Victoria, Texas PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2006 1:13 am
    ----
Here's a couple of photos I took a couple of years ago. Kind of a front-right shot and another with the Panther II in the background. The Patton museum isn't really laid out well (nor well lighted) for photos.

hth

cn

#5: Re: Kubinka Panther Testdrive Author: DontosLocation: Vine Grove, KY PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2006 1:16 am
    ----
- jcneel
Here's a couple of photos I took a couple of years ago. Kind of a front-right shot and another with the Panther II in the background. The Patton museum isn't really laid out well (nor well lighted) for photos.
hth
cn

Improvements to the various display areas have taken a front seat. The lighting issue is being gradually improved.

Don

#6: Re: Kubinka Panther Testdrive Author: Roy_A_LingleLocation: El Paso & Ft Bliss, Texas PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2006 9:14 am
    ----
Hi Rikard! Hi Folks!

- Rikard_Hufschmied

...now if they could only do something about that horrible paintjob (it is supposed to be accurate???)

From what I understand that paint job could be accurate. The vehicles came from the factory with a base color. The crews where issued cans of paste which they had to thin and then applied their way. I would think one should be carefull in saying NO WAY did any German vehicle ever get painted one way or another. Confused

My 2 cents,
Sgt, Scouts Out! Smile

#7: Re: Kubinka Panther Testdrive Author: the_shadockLocation: Normandy, France PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2006 9:24 am
    ----
- Dontos

The Panther II was restored back in the 70's-80's to operational condition. It was used in a number of 'Drive-By' events. I've heard a number of reasons for parking 'her'. But 'she' has been on display in her current location for long time. Interior wise she is decently 'functional'.

I've got to go by tomorrow, and will take camera and get some 'new' shots for you.

Don

Please, also try to take nice photos of the Kingtiger, if it's possible. I know that it's difficult to take good pictures because it's not very well lighted..

Thanks in advance.

Chris, I've added your first front-right photo of the Panther II in my Panther PDF file, with credits to you.. thanks a lot.

Pierre-Olivier

#8: Re: Kubinka Panther Testdrive Author: jcneelLocation: Victoria, Texas PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2006 10:27 am
    ----
- the_shadock

Chris, I've added your first front-right photo of the Panther II in my Panther PDF file, with credits to you.. thanks a lot.

Pierre-Olivier

Cool! Thanks - here are a couple of photos of the Fort Knox King Tiger from the same trip:

I have some more photos of the KT if you're interested, but these are the better overall shots.

cn

#9: Re: Kubinka Panther Testdrive Author: the_shadockLocation: Normandy, France PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2006 11:11 am
    ----
Thanks again Chris !!

I've taken the second one of the Kingtiger for my other PDF file, so I'm very glad to be able to find always better quality photos to update it..

Pierre-Olivier

#10: Re: Kubinka Panther Testdrive Author: Maple_Leaf_Eh PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2006 4:50 pm
    ----
- jcneel

The Fort Knox King Tiger:

Museums have a constant struggle with guests stealing from displays. I'm glad to see they chained down the King Tiger so the next mob of snot-nosed elementary school kids don't smuggle it onto the bus home.

#11: Re: Kubinka Panther Testdrive Author: Rikard_HufschmiedLocation: Stockholm, Sweden PostPosted: Sat Jul 29, 2006 3:25 am
    ----
- Roy_A_Lingle
Hi Rikard! Hi Folks!

- Rikard_Hufschmied

...now if they could only do something about that horrible paintjob (it is supposed to be accurate???)

From what I understand that paint job could be accurate. The vehicles came from the factory with a base color. The crews where issued cans of paste which they had to thin and then applied their way. I would think one should be carefull in saying NO WAY did any German vehicle ever get painted one way or another. Confused

My 2 cents,
Sgt, Scouts Out! Smile

Yeah I know ... but the paintjob is still horrible, which goes for most of Kubinka unfortunatly.

Cheers,
Rik

#12: Re: Kubinka Panther Testdrive Author: Roy_A_LingleLocation: El Paso & Ft Bliss, Texas PostPosted: Sat Jul 29, 2006 4:37 pm
    ----
Hi Rikard! Hi Folks!

- Rikard_Hufschmied

... but the paintjob is still horrible, which goes for most of Kubinka unfortunatly.

I guess that is a major example of 'beauty is in the eye of the beholder'.

To me, the idea that a group of people would take the time and trouble to restore a Panther tank (and any other AFV) to running order is a thing of beauty. It makes being a member of the CIA club a lot more interesting.

As for the paint jobs at Kubinka, I am just thankful that their collection is now available for viewing. Something that for most of my life, I NEVER dreamed would ever happien.
Sgt, Scouts Out! Smile

#13: Re: Kubinka Panther Testdrive Author: oldtop PostPosted: Sat Jul 29, 2006 7:03 pm
    ----
To me the paint job is very interesting, it distracts from the size and shape of the vehicle and makes it hard to pick out details, I like to see it with a wooded/brush background. Notice the great shape the tires are, wonder where they found them.

#14: Re: Kubinka Panther Testdrive Author: Rikard_HufschmiedLocation: Stockholm, Sweden PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2006 5:38 pm
    ----
- oldtop
To me the paint job is very interesting, it distracts from the size and shape of the vehicle and makes it hard to pick out details, I like to see it with a wooded/brush background. Notice the great shape the tires are, wonder where they found them.

I should have added "in my humble opinion".

I'm just not used to seeing recreated field applied German eastern front camo in color, didn't we have this same debate over Mike Gibb's "Strawberry Cheesecake" Jagdpanther?

And I agree, the staff and volounteers at Kubinka are doing a fantastic job in getting as many vehicles as possible in running condition; I salute them. And when I eventually will go there the paintjobs will be of little to none concern, I will undoubtedly be awstruck by all the behemoths of all kinds they house.

The tires are reconditioned originals to my knowledge, one of the benefits of having a roof over the exhibits.

Cheers,
Rik

#15: Re: Kubinka Panther Testdrive Author: the_shadockLocation: Normandy, France PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2006 9:39 pm
    ----
I think that the camouflage patterns painted on Kubinka vehicles are more realistic (maybe not aesthetic, I agreee with you..) that some I was able to see in some museums (as the famous camouflage pattern on the Overloon museum Panther, or the colours chosen to paint the Bovington Jagdtiger, I don't know if it's realistic but I have some doubts..) Anyway, those vehicles are PAINTED.. (look at the Aberdeen Ferdinant, there is NOT ANY camouflage.. and it's a lot more horrible !!!!!!!)

Cheers from France

Pierre-Olivier

-> AFV News Discussion Board