StuG III Update on andreaslarka.net
-> AFV News Discussion Board

#1: StuG III Update on andreaslarka.net Author: Rikard_HufschmiedLocation: Stockholm, Sweden PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2006 10:19 am
    ----
Andreas Larka has made a major update of his site that is dedicated to the StuG III in Finnish service, many new pictures of StuG's in storage.

Updates Page

It's a amazing that so many of them still survive and the staff at Parola Armor Museum are doing all they can to get as many as possible in driving condition (some movie funding has helped a lot).

They need new housing though and I've suggested to them (thru proxy) that they should put some of the StuG's on auction to partially finance construction but there seems to be some red tape surrounding such as sale.

Cheers,
Rik

#2: Re: StuG III Update on andreaslarka.net Author: bsmartLocation: Central Maryland PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2006 11:49 am
    ----
- Rikard_Hufschmied
Andreas Larka has made a major update of his site that is dedicated to the StuG III in Finnish service, many new pictures of StuG's in storage.

Updates Page

It's a amazing that so many of them still survive and the staff at Parola Armor Museum are doing all they can to get as many as possible in driving condition (some movie funding has helped a lot).

They need new housing though and I've suggested to them (thru proxy) that they should put some of the StuG's on auction to partially finance construction but there seems to be some red tape surrounding such as sale.

Cheers,
Rik

If they auctioned them all off they wouldn't need to construct new facilities at all.

There are folks who have suggested similar programs for Aberdeen in the past as well as 'caretakers' who seemed more concerned with dismantling the collection than preserving and protecting it.

There is a very fine line with musuem artifacts between preserving and presenting them to the public. Train and aviation musuems are constantly walking the tightrope. How much wear and tear of historic equipment is 'acceptable' for presentation or entertainment use?

But does it do any good to lock them in protective cocoons so they are available 'for future generations' and not let anyone see them?

Sorry - It seems like all I have is questions and rants today and no answers.

#3: Re: StuG III Update on andreaslarka.net Author: the_shadockLocation: Normandy, France PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2006 5:43 pm
    ----
That's really great to see that so many survived...

Pierre-Olivier

#4: Re: StuG III Update on andreaslarka.net Author: JimWebLocation: The back of beyond PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2006 7:37 pm
    ----
They should get them out of the woods and into museums - I am sure thare are enough museums around who would take one on loan in return for restoring it and being allowed to display it for x number of years.

Cool

#5: Re: StuG III Update on andreaslarka.net Author: Rikard_HufschmiedLocation: Stockholm, Sweden PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2006 5:10 pm
    ----
- bsmart

If they auctioned them all off they wouldn't need to construct new facilities at all.

There are folks who have suggested similar programs for Aberdeen in the past as well as 'caretakers' who seemed more concerned with dismantling the collection than preserving and protecting it.

There is a very fine line with musuem artifacts between preserving and presenting them to the public. Train and aviation musuems are constantly walking the tightrope. How much wear and tear of historic equipment is 'acceptable' for presentation or entertainment use?

But does it do any good to lock them in protective cocoons so they are available 'for future generations' and not let anyone see them?

Sorry - It seems like all I have is questions and rants today and no answers.

Bob,

It's not like they have just 1 or 2, they have close to 30 StuG's still under Finnish DoD control, and most are more or less complete.

Keeping, preserving and restoring them all is just not realistic, in my opinion. If the sale of a couple of them would help in preserving and shelter the bulk of the StuG fleet and the entire Parola collection I say it's an easy choice, again in my opinion.

Best,
Rik

#6: Re: StuG III Update on andreaslarka.net Author: bsmartLocation: Central Maryland PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2006 7:16 pm
    ----
Like I said at the end I was just in a grumpy mood the other day. If they have that many maybe they could find a way to get some out to other collections. I guess my main concern is them ending up in the hands of movie propmasters who would see them as semi-expendable props to be used and abused. I'm not sure how I feel about private collections. I've seen some that are as well or better run than any public museum and heard of others that are just rich mens toys with maybe one day a year that the public get to see them.

If I was excessivly sharp in my comment I apologize. I guess I just have a very sensitive spot about disposing of public collections

-> AFV News Discussion Board