Hey Dontos! Look what I got in the mail today!
Go to page 1, 2  Next  :| |:
-> AFV News Discussion Board

#1: Hey Dontos! Look what I got in the mail today! Author: Roy_A_LingleLocation: El Paso & Ft Bliss, Texas PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2006 5:58 am
    ----
Hi Folks!

Hot of the presses! I received my copy of Armor Magazine today (July 31)

Just in case you can not read the last paragraft, it says:

"A Slow Beginning
Two years ago, Steven Slaughter, an Ontos veteran from Vietnam, and Robert Shofner, an Ontos veteran from Beirut, Lebanon, joined in with other volunteers and began the restoration process,

Shocked which was primarily funded by donations from the now retired Don Moriaty. Razz

After lots of engine repair, sandblasting, freeing up and cleaning of the guns, painting, welding, electrical work, and thousands of volunteer hours, the rusty old relic wasa transormed into a thing of beauty and preserved for future generations."

There is no credit listed for who wrote the story or took the two photos.

Thanks Don!
Sgt, Scouts Out!

#2: Re: Hey Dontos! Look what I got in the mail today! Author: SHAWN PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2006 12:00 pm
    ----
not a Gunny in sight

#3: Re: Hey Dontos! Look what I got in the mail today! Author: JeffStringer PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2006 12:08 pm
    ----
Well, I hope it gets displayed inside!!

#4: Re: Hey Dontos! Look what I got in the mail today! Author: SFC_Jeff_ButtonLocation: Ft Hood, TX PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2006 4:28 pm
    ----
Dontos,
What will become of this vehicle, ie; static display (indoors/outdoors), parade use? Will a pictoral display be put together showing the work in progress to restore it to it's current state? Great work! For your next project, how about an M106A2 with a 4.2in Mortar system mounted in the back. Indoors display of course. Not that I'm partial to Mortars or anything.

#5: Re: Hey Dontos! Look what I got in the mail today! Author: bsmartLocation: Central Maryland PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2006 6:41 pm
    ----
I hate to say it but I hope it doesn't get run too much. I know how hard it is to find tracks for that little beastie ( The one at Aberdeen has been waiting for tracks since they refurbed it sevral years ago. There are just none to be found.

#6: Re: Hey Dontos! Look what I got in the mail today! Author: DontosLocation: Vine Grove, KY PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2006 10:49 pm
    ----
Thanks guys

The Photos in the feature, I took. Not sure who exactly 'by-lined' the write-up. Cool

As for the vehicles future,..... I only know of static displays that it will be shown in, as of now.

The track issue is definitely a primary reason. 'We' don't want to cause any preventable stress or damage to the track.

Hope to include it in living history demo in the future. I would love to see it fire all six 106's (blank firing) in a reenactment.

Mr. Green Mr. Green Mr. Green

Don

#7: Re: Hey Dontos! Look what I got in the mail today! Author: Hellfish6Location: Orlando PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2006 6:26 pm
    ----
For what it's worth, Camp Atterbury in Indiana has an Ontos on static display.

#8: Re: Hey Dontos! Look what I got in the mail today! Author: Neil_BaumgardnerLocation: Arlington, VA PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2006 7:10 pm
    ----
Don, I dont remember that one being on your list/website?

Neil

#9: Re: Hey Dontos! Look what I got in the mail today! Author: Hellfish6Location: Orlando PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2006 1:03 am
    ----
I even have pics of it. Smile

#10: Re: Hey Dontos! Look what I got in the mail today! Author: SFC_Jeff_ButtonLocation: Ft Hood, TX PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2006 1:46 am
    ----
What are you waiting for?, post them!!! I've been to Camp Attabury numerous times back in 1984-1990, but don't recall seeing anything on display. However I was there for week-end drill with the Ohio National Guard and was out on the Mortar points firing. I understand Cp Attabury has become quite a hub of training and mobilization since the war on terrorism began.

#11: Re: Hey Dontos! Look what I got in the mail today! Author: Neil_BaumgardnerLocation: Arlington, VA PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2006 2:23 am
    ----
- Neil_Baumgardner
Don, I dont remember that one being on your list/website?

Neil

Nevermind, you have it as a T165 prototype...

Hellfish6,
I'm sure Don would appreciate any & all pictures...

Neil

#12: Re: Hey Dontos! Look what I got in the mail today! Author: Hellfish6Location: Orlando PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2006 12:24 pm
    ----
I'll upload 'em when I get home tonight.

#13: Re: Hey Dontos! Look what I got in the mail today! Author: Hellfish6Location: Orlando PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2006 10:06 pm
    ----
I present the Atterbury Ontos:

#14: Re: Hey Dontos! Look what I got in the mail today! Author: Doug_KibbeyLocation: The Great Satan PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2006 10:17 pm
    ----
Sum'tin' doen't look quite right. Rolling Eyes

#15: Re: Hey Dontos! Look what I got in the mail today! Author: SFC_Jeff_ButtonLocation: Ft Hood, TX PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2006 2:06 am
    ----
Other than the funky silver barrells and lack of proper bumper numbers, I'm not sure what you see or don't see.
Hellfish, did you happen to record any numbers on this vehicle?

-> AFV News Discussion Board