Dontos, 1st Cav Museum M1...
Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next  :| |:
-> AFV News Discussion Board

#1: Dontos, 1st Cav Museum M1... Author: SFC_Jeff_ButtonLocation: Ft Hood, TX PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2006 3:13 am
    ----

Dontos, Is there anything special about this M1. Being a Mortar Magot, I dont know squat about M1's, (but I am learning quickly about older tanks!). There are at least three other M1's on post on display. They are at East Gate, and both the HQ's of 1st Cav and 4th ID. where do I find special markings, serial numbers, etc... I plan to photograph and post them eventually if they are of any signifigance.

#2: Re: Dontos, 1st Cav Museum M1... Author: Gomez75 PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2006 12:06 pm
    ----
The M1E1 was the test platform for the Rhienmattal 120mm Gun. It is basically a vanilla M1 fitted with the German Gun. Or so I've read. About ten were converted.

#3: Re: Dontos, 1st Cav Museum M1... Author: SabotLocation: Kentucky PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2006 12:39 pm
    ----
I remember when they made the sign around 1994. It was pointed out then that the sign was in error and the M1E1 is the prototype for the M1A1. The sign leads one to believe that the M1E1 is a prototype of the initial M1.

The M1E1 was an M1IP with the 120mm.

#4: Re: Dontos, 1st Cav Museum M1... Author: SFC_Jeff_ButtonLocation: Ft Hood, TX PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2006 2:52 am
    ----
Does the M1 have an area where the serial number is stamped into it? There are at least 4 M1's on display here on the post. Each DIV HQ's had one, East Gate has one, and so does the 1st Cav museum. Is it me, or do new tanks not have the prominent "USA" numbers of tanks past?

#5: Re: Dontos, 1st Cav Museum M1... Author: SFC_Jeff_ButtonLocation: Ft Hood, TX PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2006 3:08 am
    ----
I want to keep this one alive because I want to know where to find the serial number on an M1. There are 4 on post that are on display that I know of. Three tan and one green. Also, anyone know where an M2 Bradley has its serial numbers?

#6: Re: Dontos, 1st Cav Museum M1... Author: Hellfish6Location: Orlando PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2006 4:31 am
    ----
Why do people want to know serial numbers on vehicles? (Serious question)

#7: Re: Dontos, 1st Cav Museum M1... Author: Roy_A_LingleLocation: El Paso & Ft Bliss, Texas PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2006 8:14 am
    ----
HI HF6! Hi Folks!

- Hellfish6

Helps with tracking the history of many of the different types of AFVs. Helps with keeping up with a vehicle when it is moved from one spot to another. Helps those who are trying to get and kept a count on the number of vehicles remaining.

Some of the members who hang out here find that type of info helpful with their research.

Sgt, Scouts Out!

#8: Re: Dontos, 1st Cav Museum M1... Author: Joe_DLocation: Razorback Country PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2006 10:29 am
    ----
Jeff,
If they haven't been changed out the skirts will have a metal plate welded on each one with the serial number. The static model tanks I've seen usually had the ballistic skirts (1 and 2 left, 1,2,3 and 4 right)replaced with mock ups. A more reliable source is on the rear grill doors on earlier models, same type of plate. To the left of the right tail light they would stamp the number and also the registration from what I remember. Serial numbers would start with an "L" for Lima and "D" for Detroit. Majority are then followed by 4 or 5 digits, A1's ending around 13000 from what I remember. Don't use the skirt method for late model A2's since they used the old 105 hulls and the skirts retained the original numbers on all the ones I've seen. Rebuilds had the same front headlight gaurds as the 105 tanks where as the originals had the angle gaurds like the M1A1. Hope this helps. I will check the M1's here later and verify the locations. Just gotta be able to stay on the Net.

Joe D

Joe D

#9: Re: Dontos, 1st Cav Museum M1... Author: SFC_Jeff_ButtonLocation: Ft Hood, TX PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2006 12:20 pm
    ----
Thanks Joe, I'll try and check the M1 pictured above today and see if this location is correct.

#10: Re: Dontos, 1st Cav Museum M1... Author: bsmartLocation: Central Maryland PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2006 1:37 pm
    ----
- Roy_A_Lingle
HI HF6! Hi Folks!

- Hellfish6

Helps with tracking the history of many of the different types of AFVs. Helps with keeping up with a vehicle when it is moved from one spot to another. Helps those who are trying to get and kept a count on the number of vehicles remaining.

Some of the members who hang out here find that type of info helpful with their research.

Sgt, Scouts Out!

Does anyone keep serial numbers of vehicles they crewed or worked on?

I know everytime I see a picture of an F-15 I try and see what the tail number is to see if it is one of the ones I remember from Langley. I know Aircraft have much more visible tail numbers than tanks do serial or registration numbers but I'm curious if tanks got reputations like planes did. For example 74-119 got a reputation as a Pig for all the problems it had. One time when a pilot came in to debrief after a ground abort on that plane another pilot looked over at him and said 'You need to take a little Hog chow out with you and tell the bird you'll give her a treat if you have a good flight' He then pulled a little baggie of animal food out of his flightsuit pocket. 'Everytime the Pig gives me a good flight I put a pinch right under the nose wheel'

What is even funnier is that years later after I was out of the Air Force I was talking to an E-7 at a PTA meeting. He was at the Pentagon and in the staff that shuffled planes to National Guard and Reserve units. I mentioned that I wondered what had happened to some of our old birds and told him the 4-119 story. He almost broke out laughing. He said he wished he had heard that a month before. They had just finished reassigning planes with some going to the boneyard and some going to other units. he remembered having to decide if 4-118 or 4-119 went to storage or to another unit. They had sent 4-118 to storage and 4-119 to a unit. 4-119 ground aborted on it's delivery flight, had an IFE (in flight emergency) one one of it's first flights at the new unit and hadn't flown since.

#11: Re: Dontos, 1st Cav Museum M1... Author: Hellfish6Location: Orlando PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2006 3:08 pm
    ----
- Roy_A_Lingle
HI HF6! Hi Folks!

- Hellfish6

Sgt, Scouts Out!

Good to know. Thanks!

#12: Re: Dontos, 1st Cav Museum M1... Author: DontosLocation: Vine Grove, KY PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2006 3:17 pm
    ----
- bsmart
- Roy_A_Lingle
HI HF6! Hi Folks!

- Hellfish6

Sgt, Scouts Out!

I know everytime I see a picture of an F-15 I try and see what the tail number is to see if it is one of the ones I remember from Langley. I know Aircraft have much more visible tail numbers than tanks do serial or registration numbers but I'm curious if tanks got reputations like planes did. For example 74-119 got a reputation as a Pig for all the problems it had. One time when a pilot came in to debrief after a ground abort on that plane another pilot looked over at him and said 'You need to take a little Hog chow out with you and tell the bird you'll give her a treat if you have a good flight' He then pulled a little baggie of animal food out of his flightsuit pocket. 'Everytime the Pig gives me a good flight I put a pinch right under the nose wheel'

What is even funnier is that years later after I was out of the Air Force I was talking to an E-7 at a PTA meeting. He was at the Pentagon and in the staff that shuffled planes to National Guard and Reserve units. I mentioned that I wondered what had happened to some of our old birds and told him the 4-119 story. He almost broke out laughing. He said he wished he had heard that a month before. They had just finished reassigning planes with some going to the boneyard and some going to other units. he remembered having to decide if 4-118 or 4-119 went to storage or to another unit. They had sent 4-118 to storage and 4-119 to a unit. 4-119 ground aborted on it's delivery flight, had an IFE (in flight emergency) one one of it's first flights at the new unit and hadn't flown since.

Bob
In 1988, I was assigned on my 1st M1A1 in Germany as a Gunner. The SN was L6116. For some reason I never forgot that SN.

BTW: I have the 1st round 'aftcap' I fired off that tank still to this day. Makes a great ashtray. HEAT round fired during screening at Range 117A at Grafenwohr.

...and my wife thinks I'm a 'pack-rat'....

Don

#13: Re: Dontos, 1st Cav Museum M1... Author: L.Delsing PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2006 8:38 pm
    ----
- Dontos
- bsmart
- Roy_A_Lingle
HI HF6! Hi Folks!

- Hellfish6

And in case of some former Soviet tanks it is possible to identify the type, and date of production.

regards,
Lesley
Sgt, Scouts Out!

Bob
In 1988, I was assigned on my 1st M1A1 in Germany as a Gunner. The SN was L6116. For some reason I never forgot that SN.

BTW: I have the 1st round 'aftcap' I fired off that tank still to this day. Makes a great ashtray. HEAT round fired during screening at Range 117A at Grafenwohr.

...and my wife thinks I'm a 'pack-rat'....

Don

#14: Re: Dontos, 1st Cav Museum M1... Author: SFC_Jeff_ButtonLocation: Ft Hood, TX PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2006 2:00 am
    ----
Joe_D, you are the MAN! You were right on with where to find the serial numbers. All the side plates and the rear plates matched, with D790, being on all of them! The stamping number read "JE01EW". I'm not real sure about the second character but the rest were pretty readable. There were also numbers "welded" onto the turret and front hull, do these mean anything? I could make out the old bumper markings on the front. The left side was; 1-CAV 2-12 CAV, right side was; B-34. There appears to be no engine which is no suprise with the cost of these being huge! I love it when I can ID a vehicle by serial number. However you mention the number should be 4-5 digits. Does this three digit tank mean its a very early model? Well at least everyone can use these picture for reference as to where to look for numbers on future M1's. I plan to hit the other three M1's that are on display ASAP and see how they compare. Thanks again.

P.S. Spotted another "Lingle" today and will get some pictures for Roy soon!

#15: Re: Dontos, 1st Cav Museum M1... Author: SFC_Jeff_ButtonLocation: Ft Hood, TX PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2006 2:42 am
    ----
How rare is it for a display M1 to have all the skirts match the rear seial number? I thought htese side plates were "classified" a time back and that display tanks got some sort of "dummy" plates hung on their sides.

-> AFV News Discussion Board