M3 for Toadman
-> AFV News Discussion Board

#1: M3 for Toadman Author: SFC_Jeff_ButtonLocation: Ft Hood, TX PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2006 11:57 pm
    ----
I took some 98 pictures yesterday while walking around the 1st Cav and 4th ID museums. I understand that Toadman is wanting some pictures of "Stuarts" so I hope these will do. These are of the 4th ID's M3.

#2: Re: M3 for Toadman Author: Neil_BaumgardnerLocation: Arlington, VA PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2006 12:08 am
    ----
Jeff, they also have an M5 Stuart right?

Neil

#3: Re: M3 for Toadman Author: SFC_Jeff_ButtonLocation: Ft Hood, TX PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2006 2:27 am
    ----
Does anyone know what the casting symbols / numbers mean?

#4: Re: M3 for Toadman Author: toadmanstankpictures PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2006 5:12 am
    ----
- SFC_Jeff_Button
Does anyone know what the casting symbols / numbers mean?

I'll take a swag at it. From left to right, the D-3853.. number is the part number. The letter prefix, in this case "D" is the size of the sheet of paper that shows the part. The "X" in the shield is the symbol for the foundry that cast the part. The "FXN 1880(?) probably have to do with the heat number and the final heat treatment code.

All of the above information came from a paper that Kurt Laughlin has written on foundry symbols and trademarks found on U.S. military equipment during WW II. Hopefully, he'll get involved in this thread and explain things more clearly.

-> AFV News Discussion Board