M60 continues in marine service
-> AFV News Discussion Board

#1: M60 continues in marine service Author: SHAWN PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2006 1:12 am
    ----
would make a nice piece for in the aquarium, if i had an aquarium...

#2: Re: M60 continues in marine service Author: SHAWN PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2006 1:13 am
    ----
okay not that pic, this pic!

#3: Re: M60 continues in marine service Author: Doug_KibbeyLocation: The Great Satan PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2006 1:38 am
    ----
Deep water fording kit. Wink

#4: Re: M60 continues in marine service Author: bsmartLocation: Central Maryland PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2006 9:38 am
    ----
Did someone record the location and serial number for Neils list Smile

#5: Re: M60 continues in marine service Author: SHAWN PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2006 1:13 pm
    ----
here is the location:
lat-- 392904N
long-- 0755900W

it is near you, there in maryland... (hint-- elk neck state park)

#6: Re: M60 continues in marine service Author: Skeet PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2006 4:33 pm
    ----
I was surprised the Marines ever got M-1's. When the M-1 came out, the Marines decided against them. They took up too much room in an Amphibious Task Force, and couldn't ride to the beach in several of the common landing craft. And too much $$$.

Remember these guys were using M-48's well into the 70's, maybe later. They were supposed to get up-graded M-48s in the early 70's, but those ended up being given to friends in need. USMC issued green duct tape and eked a few more years from theirs.

The prospect of storming Kuwait and going head to head with Saddam's tanks got them M-1s on loan. I guess they go to keep those.

#7: Re: M60 continues in marine service Author: SFC_Jeff_ButtonLocation: Ft Hood, TX PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2006 6:23 pm
    ----
The Marines of the 1st Marine Expeditionary Force used 210 M60's to support the Saudi-Marine effort into Kuwait City during the Gulf War. The last use of M60's by the U.S. in armed conflict.

#8: Re: M60 continues in marine service Author: bsmartLocation: Central Maryland PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2006 6:36 pm
    ----
- SHAWN
here is the location:
lat-- 392904N
long-- 0755900W

it is near you, there in maryland... (hint-- elk neck state park)

Hey Neil, it may be nearby but I won't be checking it out for you. Rolling Eyes

#9: Re: M60 continues in marine service Author: Roy_A_LingleLocation: El Paso & Ft Bliss, Texas PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2006 7:16 am
    ----
Hi Folks!

Correct me if I am wrong, looking at the gun mantle and the turret, I think that vehicle is a M60A0.

Sgt, Scouts Out! Confused

#10: Re: M60 continues in marine service Author: oldtop PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2006 9:31 am
    ----
When the M1 came off the production line the Marine tankers were told the USMC would never buy the M1 (at that time the going price was 2.4 mil), When I was told that by the 4th Div commanding general my heart sank. I had just come back (1980) from taking an M1 for a "joy ride" and it had knocked my socks off...this was the tank we tankers had been waiting for for 20 years. The Marines/Navy already had the ability to hual it anywhere, that was part of the M103 (62.5 ton) heavy tank deployment legacy. The Marine Corps higher ups stepped on thier crank just be for the fun and games begain with Iraq (the first time). The commendant tried to play with the funds congerss had earmarked for USMC M1s, as a result the Corps lost all its M1 funding (didn't get a few more LAVs). And thats why the USMC took the M60s to war..by the way the Marines are the only branch of the US military to ever take the M60 tank into combat!

#11: Re: M60 continues in marine service Author: Skeet PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2006 11:38 am
    ----
Old Top and Sgt Button - Yes, the Green Machine had M-60s in Desert Storm. But didn't they have some M-1s also? Maybe "on loan" from someone?

Don't they have M-1s now?

#12: Re: M60 continues in marine service Author: oldtop PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2006 6:55 pm
    ----
Yes the Marines had "some" M1s for the operation , they were pulled from Army stocks, also when the operations kicked off in Iraq there were M1 equipped tank units sitting at Camp Lejeune which never took part in the operations. A foot note, the best performing tank units during that operation turned out to be the reserve tank Bn. Small wonder, these units had tank crews who had worked together for 3, 4, and five years. The reserve units alway scored in the top numbers at all-Marine tank shoot offs...I was proud of their performance.."thats my boys", having spent over 8 years training them ( I cracked a mean whip over them)

-> AFV News Discussion Board