M60 Range Target at Ft Hood...
-> AFV News Discussion Board

#1: M60 Range Target at Ft Hood... Author: SFC_Jeff_ButtonLocation: Ft Hood, TX PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2006 2:49 am
    ----
Hello to all. As I promissed, I wen to the Range Control (RC) facility here at Ft Hood and got some pictures. However it seems that after years of M60 tanks sitting behind RC, that they all but disapeared in the past month because they were there when I got here just 6 weeks ago. I did find this one lone M60, and 13 more in a fenced area I could not access. This particular M60 was serial number 6378, and the stamped hull number was 09A11972, (I'm used to seeing "JJ" numbers in this area). Does anyone know what "METERED SWIPED AMMO OK" means on the side of the turret thats stenciled on? What can we determine about this vehicle just by the info and pictures?

#2: Re: M60 Range Target at Ft Hood... Author: Roy_A_LingleLocation: El Paso & Ft Bliss, Texas PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2006 3:33 am
    ----
Hi Jeff! Hi Folks!

Looks like a group of M728 CEVs with the 165mm How removed. One M578 VTR and one M60A3.

Thanks for the photo of the engine compartment. We all don't get to see much of that area of most AFVs.

Sgt, Scouts Out! Smile

#3: Re: M60 Range Target at Ft Hood... Author: Geoff_walden PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2006 10:04 pm
    ----
Jeff,

I would guess that METERED means gone over with a radiacmeter, SWIPED might mean wiped for DU dust or other radioactive remains, and AMMO-OK presumably means checked for any ammo remaining onboard.

Geoff Walden

-> AFV News Discussion Board