M4 found in Ft Hood motorpool...
-> AFV News Discussion Board

#1: M4 found in Ft Hood motorpool... Author: SFC_Jeff_ButtonLocation: Ft Hood, TX PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2006 12:17 am
    ----
I found this Sherman over the weekend and went back today on my lunch. It was sitting by its self in the 36th ENG BDE motor pool. Looks to have Korea era markings, as I saw these on display Pershings on Camp Casey back in 1997. Serial number appears to be 147, 30113655. OK experts, what exactly do we have here?

#2: Re: M4 found in Ft Hood motorpool... Author: binder001 PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2006 12:35 am
    ----
It appears to be a good old M4A3, 76mm Wet Stowage, HVSS (aka "M4A3E8"). Others can mathch the numbers to the when and where made.

The Tiger face is probably based on a brief Korean War practice. For the UN counteroffensive against the Chinese the tank crews started painting various "tiger faces" and such on the tanks. Rumor control was passing the info that the Chinese were supposed to be fearful of tigers. It was more of a morale booster to the tankers than any real tactical attempt at frightfulness. Some units took it quite a way, such as the noteable efforts by the 6th Tank Battalion on its M46s. Some just painted eyes, others a full face, or whatever. Obviously the novelty wore off and the markings were not renewed or were painted over in OD, but that brief period is a favorite for Korean War model builders to present something other than OD.

Gary Binder

#3: Re: M4 found in Ft Hood motorpool... Author: binder001 PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2006 12:39 am
    ----
By the way, this tank looks to be in pretty good shape for its age! Find an engine and you may have a runner. I am curious about the "pipes" welded onto the sides just outside of the drivers' hatches. My guess is that someone added flag pole brackets to the old girl sometime in the last sixty years.

Gary

#4: Re: M4 found in Ft Hood motorpool... Author: toadmanstankpictures PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2006 4:24 am
    ----
Thanks again Jeff for some nice pics. I forwarded the information to Joe DeMarco and he came back with the following regarding the reg and serial numbers:

"30113655 would correspond to serial number 60633, which Jeff might be able to find on the rear towing lugs if there's not too much paint on them.
That would have been built by Chrysler at the Detroit Tank Arsenal in Nov. 1944.
It would have been built with factory installed HVSS, & a turret with oval loader's hatch, such as it has now.
I believe the number 147 above the Reg. Number stamping indicates that this was the 147th unit rebuild by Red River Arsenal.
As you know, the MVTF M4A3(76) has 90 above the R/N stamping, & the former owner told me he found his was redone at RRA sometime in the early 1950s."

#5: Re: M4 found in Ft Hood motorpool... Author: SFC_Jeff_ButtonLocation: Ft Hood, TX PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2006 1:19 pm
    ----
Joe was a source I used to ID the Ft Irwin Sherman, along with Kurt Laughlin. I am currently awaiting a phone call from the 4th ID museum director in response to these two M4's.

-> AFV News Discussion Board