Matilda I in WWII
-> AFV News Discussion Board

#1: Matilda I in WWII Author: BenjaminLiottel PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2006 8:37 pm
    ----
The Matilda I was built in 1937, and was completely outmoded by 1939, yet it still saw action in WWII. However, the Wikipedia entry says that only two Matilda I's were actually in service by WWII, this must be false as there are quite a few pictures of disabled Matlida Is out there. I was wondering, how many Matilda Is actually saw service in WWII? Did any see action later on in the war? Were any captured by the Germans?

I got all of these pictures off of this website:
odkrywca.pl/pokaz_wate...?id=121139

Matilda I:
odkrywca.pl/forum_pics...7/8341.jpg
odkrywca.pl/forum_pics...7/8342.jpg
odkrywca.pl/forum_pics...m7/bef.jpg
odkrywca.pl/forum_pics...rmy945.jpg
odkrywca.pl/forum_pics...copy33.jpg
odkrywca.pl/forum_pics..._copy4.jpg
odkrywca.pl/forum_pics...b_copy.jpg
odkrywca.pl/forum_pics...c_copy.jpg
odkrywca.pl/forum_pics..._copy1.jpg

It's interesting because the Matilda I wasn't such a bad vehicle for what it was designed for. It had very heavy armor for a little 2 man tank, and a similar design was employed by the Germans towards the end of WWII, the Panzer I Ausf F, "Little Tiger", that sported only two machine guns, but had very heavy armor. It seems like even today an "Infantry Tank" with nothing but light armament, a crew of two, and exceptionally heavy armor virtually impervious to most man-portable munitions, would still be valuable on the battlefield.

---Liottel.

#2: Re: Matilda I in WWII Author: JimWebLocation: The back of beyond PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2006 8:57 pm
    ----
whats probably more interesting from that site is this image...

Cool

#3: Re: Matilda I in WWII Author: JimWebLocation: The back of beyond PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2006 9:06 pm
    ----
And another one... thats Albert Speer BTW

Cool

#4: Re: Matilda I in WWII Author: Roy_A_LingleLocation: El Paso & Ft Bliss, Texas PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2006 11:57 pm
    ----
Hi Benamin! Hi Folks!

- BenjaminLiottel

The Matilda I was built in 1937, and was completely outmoded by 1939, yet it still saw action in WWII. However, the Wikipedia entry says that only two Matilda I's were actually in service by WWII, this must be false as there are quite a few pictures of disabled Matlida Is out there. I was wondering, how many Matilda Is actually saw service in WWII? Did any see action later on in the war? Were any captured by the Germans?
Liottel.

In "The Tanks, The History of the Royal Tank Regiment Volume Two 1939-1945 " by Cpt B.H. Liddel Hart.

The BEF deployed to France in 1940 with the 4th and 7th RTRs. The 7th had 27 Matilda I, 23 Mitilda IIs and 7 light tanks. The 4th RTR had 50 Matilda Is for a total of 77 vehicles taken to France in May of 1940.

I would think that Wikipedia entry may not be correct.
As for any seeing any action later in the war, Not that I remember reading about. Of course, that is not counting any used for defense in England during the Battle of Britian.
Were any captured by the Germans? All the tanks the BEF took to France in 1940 were left behind. A better question would be, did the Germans used any of them for anything other that testing?

Note: During May 1940, the Mark I and II Infantry support tanks had not yet been named 'Matilda'.

Spot Report!
Sgt, Scouts Out! Smile

#5: Re: Matilda I in WWII Author: bsmartLocation: Central Maryland PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2006 12:29 am
    ----
- Roy_A_Lingle
Hi Benamin! Hi Folks!

I would think that Wikipedia entry may not be correct.

Spot Report!
Sgt, Scouts Out! Smile

This is an understatement. The Wikipedia is at best a collection of various peoples opinions, beliefs, and oral history. There is no checking of it's statements or any atribution of it's statements

Of course that is my opinion Wink

-> AFV News Discussion Board