Love the Marines camouflage ideas from wingy thingy
-> AFV News Discussion Board

#1: Love the Marines camouflage ideas from wingy thingy Author: SHAWN PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2006 1:09 am
    ----
i take it this is for real. everyone can see it right? wasnt sure if this was some photoshop magic or not...

got to love it. we had nothing like this in any of our squadrons, but i wish we had.
it give me some great afv ideas!

#2: Re: Love the Marines camouflage ideas from wingy thingy Author: DontosLocation: Vine Grove, KY PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2006 1:15 am
    ----
I got this a week or so ago. It looks to be real. COOL STUFF!!

Don

#3: Re: Love the Marines camouflage ideas from wingy thingy Author: SFC_Jeff_ButtonLocation: Ft Hood, TX PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2006 1:43 am
    ----
This is real, but those are two different birds. Go to this site; www.mozeyoninn.com/Air...HMH466.htm , and you'll see these aircraft, read about the unit, how the helo's were painted, and just compare the size of a Sea Stallion to a "little" Chinook that it is carrying!

#4: Re: Love the Marines camouflage ideas from wingy thingy Author: oldtop PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2006 3:25 am
    ----
The big boy is called a "duse" ei CH53, here at New River MCAS NC you see both camos browns and grey-blue

#5: Re: Love the Marines camouflage ideas from wingy thingy Author: Roy_A_LingleLocation: El Paso & Ft Bliss, Texas PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2006 6:35 am
    ----
Hi Folks!

I saw those photos a few weeks ago. I just figured someone had used Photo Shop or something like that to doctor the photos. I didn't think those paint jobs were real. Confused

Sgt, Scouts Out!

#6: Re: Love the Marines camouflage ideas from wingy thingy Author: bsmartLocation: Central Maryland PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2006 8:30 am
    ----
- SFC_Jeff_Button
This is real, but those are two different birds. Go to this site; www.mozeyoninn.com/Air...HMH466.htm , and you'll see these aircraft, read about the unit, how the helo's were painted, and just compare the size of a Sea Stallion to a "little" Chinook that it is carrying!

That isn't a Chinook. It's the 'hooks smaller cousin the CH-46.

#7: Re: Love the Marines camouflage ideas from wingy thingy Author: SFC_Jeff_ButtonLocation: Ft Hood, TX PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2006 5:57 pm
    ----
OOOppps, my bad.

#8: Re: Love the Marines camouflage ideas from wingy thingy Author: Sabre45Location: West Texas PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2006 5:35 pm
    ----
Hey Jeff!

- SFC_Jeff_Button

OOOppps, my bad.

That is a very easy mistake to make and many people do it.

The trick to telling those two Boeing aircraft apart, when you can see the landing gear, is the CH-47 has four wheel struts while the smaller CH-46 only has three. Two aft and one centered at the front.

One other way is if you know the photo is of a Marine air unit, then it is a CH-46 because they don't use (AFAIK) the CH-47.
If the photo of a Chinook looking helo is of an Army unit, that bird will be a 47 because the Army (AFAIK) never used the 46.

Hope this helps.

#9: Re: Love the Marines camouflage ideas from wingy thingy Author: Doug_KibbeyLocation: The Great Satan PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2006 5:54 pm
    ----
...and CH-47's have a noticeable protruding "nose" below the windscreen, whereas the CH-46 makes a smoother continuous slope from top to bottom. Much nicer looking than the CH-47.

-> AFV News Discussion Board