3rd Brigade Combat Team M4A3 Sherman
-> AFV News Discussion Board

#1: 3rd Brigade Combat Team M4A3 Sherman Author: SFC_Jeff_ButtonLocation: Ft Hood, TX PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2006 12:41 am
    ----
I told you "Shermaholics" I would keep you satisfied, and here it is. This M4 sits in front of the 3rd Brigade Combat Team HQ'a, 1st Cav Div,"Greywolf's" at the corner of 62nd St. and Battalion Ave. Left Hull stamping is 137, 30160112. The right front hull has S66178 stamped. The rear tow lugs appear to have 1788 on the left tow lugs top, while the right tow lug has the following stamped into its side, (see picture) 5067, B2103_, 1788. There is one digit right after the 3 that I cant make out. No engine, hence the empty engine area. I sent Joe Demarco the info on this tank. Hopefully he'll join our DG, I think he'd like it and we would surely learn from him.

#2: Re: 3rd Brigade Combat Team M4A3 Sherman Author: DontosLocation: Vine Grove, KY PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2006 1:17 am
    ----
Jeff

I assume the Sherman is pointing at the Shoppette and the Popeyes.... Spent 2 years as a GrayWolf....

Don

#3: Re: 3rd Brigade Combat Team M4A3 Sherman Author: SFC_Jeff_ButtonLocation: Ft Hood, TX PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2006 1:32 am
    ----
Same street, but I can't remember if the Shopette and Popeye's was across the street or not. I was thinking that the Greywolf's were further west on Battalion Ave. I was sweating my butt off and had to park my Harley about 200 meters away because parking was so bad. It was about 13:00 when I took those photo's, and it was still 101 degree's at 18:00 this evening! So my mind is a little fuzzy as to the surroundings. Let me ask you this, how far out West Range Road is the MATES Building? I understand they have two display tanks out there, and one might be a Sherman.

#4: Re: 3rd Brigade Combat Team M4A3 Sherman Author: DontosLocation: Vine Grove, KY PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2006 2:05 am
    ----
28 - 30 miles north...lol

#5: Re: 3rd Brigade Combat Team M4A3 Sherman Author: SFC_Jeff_ButtonLocation: Ft Hood, TX PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2006 1:22 am
    ----
Dontos, I drove back by this Sherman today and the tank actually points towards 1st Cav Div HQ's. The shoppette and Popeye's are about 1/4-1/2 mile further west on Battalion Ave. Could be that units have moved since you were here. There's alot of shuffleing going on with re-alignments and units of action being formed.

#6: Re: 3rd Brigade Combat Team M4A3 Sherman Author: SFC_Jeff_ButtonLocation: Ft Hood, TX PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2006 2:35 am
    ----
I've been in contact with Joe DeMarco and here is some info he gave me on identifying Shermans. You can see in these pictures that the hull is fill in a small half-moon area, and that there is a stamping, (85?) on the side edge of the front armor on the bow gunners side. These two items indicate a Chrysler built tank. If the fill in on the hull was more squared off and the stamping was on the other side of the tank, it would indicate a Fisher built tank. He was also wanting pictures of all the M4's castings on the top of the hull, as he believes there is a loose correspondance between models with this casting. I also included a picture of the hatches hopeing this would assist in the definite ID of this tank.

-> AFV News Discussion Board