kit - IMPORTANT
-> Hardware

#1: kit - IMPORTANT Author: ShadesLocation: 3rd Branch up, 'Ye Olde Oak', Green Wood. PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2006 6:39 pm
    ----
uk.theinquirer.net/?article=33523

Basically some Asus "Conroe ready" mobo's aren't. They're being shipped with BIOS's which will be DOA as soon as you plop a Conroe in one.

The problem is the BIOS.
As long as the board has a "0701" BIOS pre-installed it will support a Conroe chip.

www.xtremesystems.org/...p?t=107648

#2: Re: kit - IMPORTANT Author: KitformLocation: Cleveland. UK. PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2006 1:49 pm
    ----
Thanks for the info Shades.:)

I was aware that some mobo's needed a bios update before they would work with a Conroe even though they claimed it wa Conroe ready.

Gonna do a bit more checking over the weekend to see if the same problem applies to the P5N32 SLI mobo.

#3: Re: kit - IMPORTANT Author: ShadesLocation: 3rd Branch up, 'Ye Olde Oak', Green Wood. PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2006 5:35 pm
    ----
Rgr.
Apparently the BIOS can be flashed to the correct version.
Though how you're supposed to do that if it won't work with the cpu you're using in it I dunno.
lol

#4: Re: kit - IMPORTANT Author: KitformLocation: Cleveland. UK. PostPosted: Sat Aug 26, 2006 8:48 am
    ----
Your supposed to fit an older chip in to flash the bios first, they must presume your upgrading from Intel anyway and your old chip will do to start.

As to compatible mobo's...Asus site says the P5N32-SLI-SE- deluxe is Conroe ready but yet Scan systems where I was going to order it from says it isn't.

Grrrrrrr....

Never had this problem with AMD Smile

#5: Re: kit - IMPORTANT Author: ShadesLocation: 3rd Branch up, 'Ye Olde Oak', Green Wood. PostPosted: Sat Aug 26, 2006 1:07 pm
    ----
- Kitform
Grrrrrrr....

Never had this problem with AMD Smile
lol, I concede that point.

#6: Re: kit - IMPORTANT Author: FF_StepChildLocation: Hampton Va. US PostPosted: Sat Aug 26, 2006 8:01 pm
    ----
"Never had this problem with AMD"
Can I get an AMEN

No my opinion is not biased....I am aware of the facts Razz

#7: Re: kit - IMPORTANT Author: ShadesLocation: 3rd Branch up, 'Ye Olde Oak', Green Wood. PostPosted: Sat Aug 26, 2006 10:51 pm
    ----
lol

#8: Re: kit - IMPORTANT Author: 401RCAF_Sly PostPosted: Sun Aug 27, 2006 9:50 am
    ----
Hi Kit

This Place
www.overclockers.co.uk/

is where I find cutting edge gear at good prices... based at Stoke on Trent but ship real quick

Sly

#9: Re: kit - IMPORTANT Author: ShadesLocation: 3rd Branch up, 'Ye Olde Oak', Green Wood. PostPosted: Sun Aug 27, 2006 8:39 pm
    ----
Far be it from me to run OC down (I've used them myself from time to time), but I don't believe they're especially cheap.
OC tend to be economical if you look in their "This week only" deals, but that's usually because no-one wants that particular stuff anymore and they'll flog it at knock-off prices rather than chuck it out.

Also they've been having customer service issues lately and been unable (or unprepared) to respond to the resulting complaints about faulty components and RMA's.

ebuyer have customer service issues as well, but I've found them to be regularly cheaper than OC. They're the people I use most BUT my contemporaries don't like them either, so "You pays your money and you makes your choice". With a bit of effort, I've easily found others too.

There are search engines for stuff like this (such as 'kelkoo' for example) which compare prices among several subscribing companies, providing you with a list of the parts you're looking for, the price each is being offered at, and links to the sites offering them. These sites limit their searches to contributing firms so don't think they're the be-all-and-end-all lists for your parts.

#10: Re: kit - IMPORTANT Author: KitformLocation: Cleveland. UK. PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2006 7:05 am
    ----
Thanks Sly.

Never been a big fan of online shopping for computer parts, my 'local' shop is normally close to the average price. He just doesn't have the bits I want.

My attention was Scan systems, primarily 'cause they're based in Bolton and have a customer counter, where as Ebuyer, based in Sheffield, only uses mail order.

I get up and down the country enough to be able to call in and pick the gear up, which also has the added advantage of no parcel through the post which the wifey will query Smile

#11: Re: kit - IMPORTANT Author: Shadow_BshwackrLocation: Central Illinois, USA PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2006 10:57 am
    ----
- Kitform
...which also has the added advantage of no parcel through the post which the wifey will query Smile

Spoken like a true married man....lol (and something ALL married guys think of...lol)

#12: Re: kit - IMPORTANT Author: Shadow_Banshee PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2006 5:02 pm
    ----
Well my experiance with overclockers is 10/10, full system delivered within 48 hours vid card the same time, memory was ordered but out of stock, but still delivered withing one week, as for suport on products i found the staff great and knowledgable, as for the prices i rate them avrg or below others depends what you want at one given time, i love the special weekly offers. also ebuyer has far less choice than OC on items for modding ie cooling, memory.
I buy from both but prefer the choice OC offers, hence i usually end up buying from them,

#13: Re: kit - IMPORTANT Author: ShadesLocation: 3rd Branch up, 'Ye Olde Oak', Green Wood. PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2006 7:29 pm
    ----
Additionally, although I use ebuyer and prefer them to OC, I would say that OC are much more technically-minded. You have to know exactly what you want before going to some of the cheaper sites, and be able to check that what they're picturing is what you think you're buying.

[I've never had a problem with OC or ebuyer but I've advised people on building their own computers for a few years and my earlier post reflected the feedback I've had from them, which is far greater than just my own experience.]

#14: Re: kit - IMPORTANT Author: 401RCAF_Sly PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2006 8:29 pm
    ----
Suppose the real reason I use OC is that they are usually the ones with new cutting edge stuff Ex stock and ready to go...
some other nameless suppliers seem to advertise it as available, get your Credit card payment set up, then a few mysterious delays set in...
always been next day or collect same day from the guys at stoke.. Oh and they have changed stuff with no questions asked.

So on the whole good sevice, great availabilty at reasonable prices.... now all I need is some extra discount Laughing

Sly

#15: Re: kit - IMPORTANT Author: Shadow_Banshee PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2006 9:00 pm
    ----
discount? lol i tried slingin um cash on pickup with no joy, so good luck Sly.

-> Hardware