M24 Chaffee at Korea Memorial Ft Hood...
-> AFV News Discussion Board

#1: M24 Chaffee at Korea Memorial Ft Hood... Author: SFC_Jeff_ButtonLocation: Ft Hood, TX PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2006 1:14 am
    ----
This M24 was at the Korea Memorial at the corner of 1st Cav HQ's parade field. This tank had stampings all over it! Name a location and it had a stamping, much the opposite of the M41 Walker Bulldog I previously posted that had virtually no markings. I do have pictures of the markings but I'll post them if requested. These light tanks, (which I personally think are cool) don't seem to draw the interest that the other tanks draw. Where would I possibly find the serial on this tank? Also, what kind of engine is that, that is hanging out of the engine access cover? Notice the 1st Aid box on the left fender, center. And the phone box on the right rear fender.

#2: Re: M24 Chaffee at Korea Memorial Ft Hood... Author: Roy_A_LingleLocation: El Paso & Ft Bliss, Texas PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2006 6:18 am
    ----
Hi Jeff! Hi Folks!

That vehicle used TWO engines! I will have to wait until I get home to look up the type for you.

The base I spent four years at in Germany had one of those. I was surpised at how small their are.

Sgt, Scouts Out! Smile

#3: Re: M24 Chaffee at Korea Memorial Ft Hood... Author: bsmartLocation: Central Maryland PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2006 8:39 am
    ----
If I remember forrectly they used the same setup as the M5 light tanks.

Twin Cadillac V8s combined with Hydromatic transmissions.

#4: Re: M24 Chaffee at Korea Memorial Ft Hood... Author: binder001 PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2006 2:21 pm
    ----
Thanks Jeff,

I like those Chaffees! Neat little recon tank and an interesting sound (from when I heard one at Ft. Knox displays).

This one is interesting in that it didn't get the mounting pads on the four corners of the lower hull like so many M24s did in the post-WW2 period. It does have post-war rubber track, versus the all-steel single-pin track used in WW2. The pedestal mount for the .50 cal in front of the commander's cupola is also a post-war modification. I have always associated that with ex-French M24s, but don't know if it was something added at depot to MAP tanks.

I noticed that somebody around the base was adding barrels from M1919A4s on some of the tanks - this would be a good candiadte. The co-ax shows on the M24 where it barely showns on a 76mm Sherman variant..

Thanks for posting. These are always fun to see.

Gary

#5: Re: M24 Chaffee at Korea Memorial Ft Hood... Author: Roy_A_LingleLocation: El Paso & Ft Bliss, Texas PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2006 3:36 pm
    ----
Hi Folks!

- bsmart

If I remember forrectly they used the same setup as the M5 light tanks.

Twin Cadillac V8s combined with Hydromatic transmissions.

That's correct Bob!

The M5 Light Tanks had Series 42 engines while the M24 had Series 44T24.

The odd thing is both engine sets have the same spec's except for Net Torque (max):
The M5 is rated at 488 ft-lb at 1200 rpm.
The M24 is rated at 480 ft-lb at 1200 rpm. Say what? Could that be a type-o?

Odd,
Sgt, Scouts Out! Smile

#6: Re: M24 Chaffee at Korea Memorial Ft Hood... Author: George PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2006 8:16 pm
    ----
The information on the plaque is correct. The 71st Tank Battalion was the 1st Cav organic tank battalion in the beginning of the Korean war. However, it was decimated in the initial months of the war and never reconstitued, it was replaced by the 70th Tank Battalion. Original 71st Tank Battlion crests are rare. I know a veteran that was in the 71st Tank Battalion and part of the crew of a Chaffee in the initial tank battles in Korea. He told me that all their Chaffees were knocked out either by North Korean T-34s or Russian anti-tank rifes used by North Korean infantry. When all the remaining personnel of the 71st Tank Battalion were formed they had enought men for one infantry platoon.

-> AFV News Discussion Board