AAA Identification help
Go to page 1, 2  Next  :| |:
-> AFV News Discussion Board

#1: AAA Identification help Author: C_Sherman PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2006 1:44 pm
    ----
Hi,

I found this on a flatbed trailer, parked alongside the Lingle I posted earlier. It's in pretty good shape, but I could find no indication of what exactly it is. No data plates, no serial numbers...nothin'.

Does anyone know what it is?

Thanks!,
C

#2: Re: AAA Identification help Author: binder001 PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2006 1:51 pm
    ----
TO my old eyes, the breech, tube, and recoil assembly look like a US 90mm AAA. Don't know if that's an M1 (2-wheel) or M3 (4-wheel) mount.

#3: Re: AAA Identification help Author: Doug_KibbeyLocation: The Great Satan PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2006 2:07 pm
    ----
Someone was really serious about making that breech inoperable!

#4: Re: AAA Identification help Author: C_Sherman PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2006 2:07 pm
    ----
Hi,

The mount seems to be the center part of a cruciform mount, but the outrigger legs aren't there. I have closeups, but they don't tell much about the overall layout.

C

#5: Re: AAA Identification help Author: SFC_Jeff_ButtonLocation: Ft Hood, TX PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2006 2:49 pm
    ----
My money is its an American 90mm AA gun. I'll have to check the mount closer and compare it to some pictures I have at home.

#6: Re: AAA Identification help Author: Doug_KibbeyLocation: The Great Satan PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2006 3:09 pm
    ----
Compare to this pic...especially the 4-hole v-shaped thingy over the chamber area:

commons.wikimedia.org/...kinawa.gif

Also look here:
www.olive-drab.com/idp...mm_aaa.php

Which I think demonstrates that the one Jeff is thinking of at Ft. Irwin is an M2...I don't believe the others are (more like M3, I believe)...this gun was apparently used in numerous applications...including possibly the M36 or some other vehicles.

Last edited by Doug_Kibbey on Wed Aug 23, 2006 3:32 pm; edited 1 time in total

#7: Re: AAA Identification help Author: Doug_KibbeyLocation: The Great Satan PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2006 3:20 pm
    ----
Looks a lot like this one...an M1:
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/...Borden.jpg

"A number of experimental versions were developed on the basic M3 pattern, including the T14 which included a standard muzzle brake, the T15 series with an improved muzzle velocity of about 975 meters per second, the even higher velocity T18, the T19 which was an attempt to reduce barrel wear, the T21 intended for wheeled vehicles, and the T22, which used the breech from the standard 105 mm M2 howitzer to take larger charge cartridges. None of these versions entered service."

I believe this is an American 90mm of the M1-2-3 family.

#8: Re: AAA Identification help Author: JimWebLocation: The back of beyond PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2006 4:21 pm
    ----
No spring rammer or fuze-setter/rammer so its a plain ol' M1

Cool

#9: Re: AAA Identification help Author: bsmartLocation: Central Maryland PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2006 4:23 pm
    ----
- C_Sherman
Hi,

I found this on a flatbed trailer, parked alongside the Lingle I posted earlier. It's in pretty good shape, but I could find no indication of what exactly it is. No data plates, no serial numbers...nothin'.

Does anyone know what it is?

Thanks!,
C

Now that we've figured out what 'IT' is what is the thing in the background?

#10: Re: AAA Identification help Author: JimWebLocation: The back of beyond PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2006 6:47 pm
    ----
- bsmart

Already answered in the relevent thread!

Cool

#11: Re: AAA Identification help Author: J.McGillivray PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2006 10:06 pm
    ----
Canada used the American 90mm MAA gun post World War II. There are two of them at the Ordnance Corps Museum in Longue Pointe in east end Montreal. One gun is set up in the firing position while the second is in the travelling position. Note that in Canada the 90mm was classed as a Medium AA gun while the 3.7in was a Heavy AA gun.

#12: Re: AAA Identification help Author: bsmartLocation: Central Maryland PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2006 1:49 am
    ----
- JimWeb
- bsmart

Already answered in the relevent thread!

Cool

If you are talking about he gun barrel I would agree. But there appears to be a lower green item back there, unless that is the M114

#13: Re: AAA Identification help Author: C_Sherman PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2006 2:39 am
    ----
Hi,

The Lingle is to the left or behind, respectively. I don't quite know what it is that you are seeing besides the Yugoslav(?) NORA gun. The AA gun is sitting on a older military flatbed trailer. Could that be it?

C

#14: Re: AAA Identification help Author: bsmartLocation: Central Maryland PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2006 8:37 am
    ----
In the first picture below the NORA gun barrell, to the right of the AAA gun pedistal, above the flatbed trailer the AAA gun is sitting on, behind the bush I see a straight horizontal line with what looks like a row of bolts or rivets.

#15: Re: AAA Identification help Author: JimWebLocation: The back of beyond PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2006 10:50 am
    ----
- bsmart
In the first picture below the NORA gun barrell, to the right of the AAA gun pedistal, above the flatbed trailer the AAA gun is sitting on, behind the bush I see a straight horizontal line with what looks like a row of bolts or rivets.

Looks like a security fence to me?

Cool

-> AFV News Discussion Board