And another mystery
-> AFV News Discussion Board

#1: And another mystery Author: C_Sherman PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2006 2:04 pm
    ----
Hi,

This one has me really stumped. Hidden in the bushes at Cp. Murray, near the Lingle I posted, I found this. I thought it was Russian/Soviet for a moment, but the data plate on the carriage is in English, and the numbers I found all appear to be English. However the units on the data plate are all metric! Other than the stamped numbers, I found no plates, etc. that had serial numbers or nomenclature.

The gun shield on the left side is bent back, which is hard to see in the pics.

Any ideas? It was tough to get an overall view because it is getting overgrown, as you can see. Most of the shrubbery you see is blackberry, with seriously long and sharp thorns...which I discovered first-hand! It's also a big mother, with a very long gun tube.

Cheers,
C

#2: Re: And another mystery Author: Doug_KibbeyLocation: The Great Satan PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2006 2:13 pm
    ----
We should start a thread that's pretty much the military version of one of the saddest websites I've ever seen....-Carsinbarns- "Rotting American Muscle Cars":

www.carsinbarns.com

#3: Re: And another mystery Author: oldtop PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2006 2:32 pm
    ----
I swear I've seen this soveit gun before, (or one just like it at Fort Lewis in WA) its a 122mm I beleive that was captured in the one mideastern conflicts.

#4: Re: And another mystery Author: SFC_Jeff_ButtonLocation: Ft Hood, TX PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2006 2:35 pm
    ----
I have found that most AAAguns and artillery pieces have some sort of markings/stampings around the breech area. Some are pretty hard to see due to recoil mechanisms and such. An M1, 90mm AA gun at Ft Irwin had Waterveilet Aresenal Markings that were very hard to see. Some times you may also find the info stanped into the gun barrel somewhere around mid-length, usually on the top.

#5: Re: And another mystery Author: Hellfish6Location: Orlando PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2006 3:29 pm
    ----
It looks like an old Soviet 130mm gun. Can't explain the English, though. It doesn't look British to me, definately not South African.

#6: Re: And another mystery Author: C_Sherman PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2006 3:30 pm
    ----
Jeff,

The second pic is of the numbers stamped above the breach, on the back of the recuperator cylinder mount. There wasn't anything I could find on the breech itself.

C

#7: Re: And another mystery Author: JimWebLocation: The back of beyond PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2006 4:06 pm
    ----
Its a NORA ( a yugoslav licence copy of the the D-20 ) with a 45 calibre barrel normally fitted to export versions - though some were used in the recent balkans conflict they were still painted green and thats a sand colour so I suspect its a captured iraqi piece.

www.jedsite.info/artil...ries.html?

Cool

#8: Re: And another mystery Author: Roy_A_LingleLocation: El Paso & Ft Bliss, Texas PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2006 1:40 am
    ----
Hi HF6! Hi Folks!

- Hellfish6

It looks like an old Soviet 130mm gun. Can't explain the English, though. It doesn't look British to me, definately not South African.

There is a Soviet AAA gun here at Ft. Bliss that has English writing on it.
I was told it was captured during Desert Storm.

Sgt, Scouts Out!

#9: Re: And another mystery Author: tanker2010Location: Kansas City, Mo. PostPosted: Sun Aug 27, 2006 8:16 pm
    ----
Most, if not all Com-block artillery exported had English data plates.

-> AFV News Discussion Board