Crown Point Invite - 5K- 3.1 Miles
-> Officer's Club

#1: Crown Point Invite - 5K- 3.1 Miles Author: RAF92_MoserLocation: Illinois PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2006 1:56 am
    ----
Yesterday,

My team had the opportunity to race against six other schools at Lemon Lake--3 miles from Cedar Lake. Ask Bushy...he lived around here.

The course itself is the challenge. 3.1 miles of muddy, hilly terrain that requires the upmost effort to run on. Most of the race is on slanted ground, the first mile consisting of entire uphill. The second mile is flatter as you run around a couple baseball fields and park, the third about the same as the first. It is the toughest course I have run on, and the one everyone fears. But racing it makes you feel like you do anything.

My father brought the camera and took some good shots. It was his first time he went to see me race, after I had race about ten races last season. Funny how five-bypass open heart surgery may make you want to see your son race....or maybe its because he has nothing to do off work. Either way I love him.

The first shot is of us stretching. I am the one with the Dumor hat smiling at my dad as he finally found me. My co-captain, Alex is to the left of me looking at me. He is our best runner, and my inspiration. Alex and I are captains and two of the three seniors of our team. We have two, since our team is rather large compared to some. I was elected in my second season. I feel honored, and up to the task.

The second shot is about 400-500 meters in the race. We have just gone up the main monster hill, and are turning. Alex is ahead of me by a two meters as I am rounding the turn. I am desperately trying to keep up with him for the first mile. He eventually loses me after the first mile.

Much of the second and third mile are hidden from the audience. My dad could not get any more shots after the first mile until the last 800 meters. We hit the main hill once again, and now you do everything you can to hold your position until the finish as you go up and more inclines.

The last 120 meters is the last stretch of guts. Everything you have used up in the ferocious race is forgotten about. You find your self throwing everything your heart can pump into that last stretch. You race a good race, Dan, don't let anybody pass you at this finish. But a Hobart kid surges past me. I can't believe it. I have the quickest leg speed on the team according to Alex and this guy passes me. I have only twenty yards to go. Normally there is no time to pass someone who has just passed you. But I instantly thought it over and in a split second. My heart pumps pure adrenaline. My stride lengthens, I scream inside, and I am kicking as fast as I can.

The gap closes slowly. I push it harder. We are inside the chute. It's about fifty feet to the line. No time left Dan! Do it. I get to his shoulder, we bump a little....until...

That's about a a few feet from the line. I pass him by a foot length. The closest it's ever been. I stop behind the next runner, breathing heavily, stumbling. Everything is a blur. The heart is still racing at 190 beats a second. I make one desperate yell at the official, using as much clarity as possible, so I don't have to repeat myself. The next official gives me a place card. 29. I realized I had just beaten the 30th runner by a few tenths of a second. He calls at me. Says his name is Anthony. I tell him my name, Dan Moser. We shook hands and he tells me I did a great job. I thanked him. I could have never found that inner last strength without him. That's the last I saw of him. A great sportsman. One of the best I have seen. Probably never forget that.

The next photo...a few seconds later. I approach my dad, ammonia cloth in one hand, water soon to be chugged in the next.

He smiled. I think he just realized this is a very demanding sport, maybe a little different from my brother's little league games hehe. I tell him, yeh, that was a tough course. Two team mates meet with me. I find out soon after they were 4-6 seconds on my back. I knew they were close and I thanked them for pushing me. We take a quick photo.

One of my best friends, Kyle from West Virginia, is in the middle, can't say enough what's it like to have a great friend like him, and Brian is to the farthest right, a new freshman who is very good. Has a lot of natural talent. I envy him sometimes. I'm not built like some of the great runners. My body is more of a football and wrestling type. Brian has the natural build and he will go very far if he works like he will. Very proud of him.

We are all tired at the end of the race. I feel liked I worked hard today. I need to work like that even more. I have to even learn to push harder if I want to reach my goal, to run almost the entire race with Alex. I have just 6-8 weeks. I am going to make them count.

Oh yeh, almost forgot. 83 runners ran this race, and I placed 29th at a time of 19:36, best I've done at this very difficult race. Felt good for that.

#2: Re: Crown Point Invite - 5K- 3.1 Miles Author: Shadow_BshwackrLocation: Central Illinois, USA PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2006 10:24 am
    ----
Great story Moser and I know Lemon Lake area very well and have been there myself many times...:wink:

Congrats on your run!!! Well done!

#3: Re: Crown Point Invite - 5K- 3.1 Miles Author: JG300-AscoutLocation: Cyberspace PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2006 12:38 pm
    ----
Congratulatons! I have some idea how you feel as Mrs. Ascout did the San Diego Rock&Roll Marathon this year in 3:35, which qualifies her for Boston. She was mega-jazzed!

#4: Re: Crown Point Invite - 5K- 3.1 Miles Author: RAF92_MoserLocation: Illinois PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2006 10:21 pm
    ----
Oh wow, a marathon. Not trying that for a few more years lol. That's long! run. Impressive numbers though, Ascout! Tell her I said congratulations for that fine performance at San Diego.

Cool, Bush, I didn't even know if you knew Lemon Lake was even there...I just took a guess.

#5: Re: Crown Point Invite - 5K- 3.1 Miles Author: Shadow_BshwackrLocation: Central Illinois, USA PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2006 10:43 am
    ----
I lived in Cedar Lake for a few years before moving to Lowell for several more years. Great area with it's recreational lakes (hence the name..lol), growing community, flea markets (you know how Bush likes a deal..lol) and hunting and fishing. My wife and I used to fish and hunt all those areas as well as the Kankakee river at the Rt 41 bridge area (LaSalle fish and wildlife area)... Wink

Speaking of the Kankakee river. We used to go to the Regata boat races in Kankakee Illinois every Labor Day weekend, which isn't far away (distance or time wise). If you get the chance and you like watching racing boats, park in the college parking lot and go see the races. The 'mod unlimited' class is something you'll never forget...

Wow Ascout, congratuate Mrs. Ascout from all of us here at CC!!

#6: Re: Crown Point Invite - 5K- 3.1 Miles Author: sweets PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2006 11:22 am
    ----
Congrats!!!! Moser I run every morning at 5am a mile an a 1/2 trying to get 2miles lol havent quite made it yet but I will get there without pushing it, your dad done very well with the pics. very nice thanks for sharing them. Mr. Green

#7: Re: Crown Point Invite - 5K- 3.1 Miles Author: RAF92_BattleHawkLocation: British Columbia, Canada PostPosted: Sat Aug 26, 2006 9:05 pm
    ----
Coinceidentally, nice shorts Wink

-> Officer's Club