4ID museum walk around photos for Neil...
Go to page 1, 2  Next  :| |:
-> AFV News Discussion Board

#1: 4ID museum walk around photos for Neil... Author: SFC_Jeff_ButtonLocation: Ft Hood, TX PostPosted: Sat Aug 26, 2006 5:27 pm
    ----
Here you go Neil, this is 4th ID museum with all vehicles in view to the best of my ability. Let me know if there are stiil some you're missing. 4ID HQ's still has an M1, M2, and M728 CEV out front. I also saw a tan BMP down a side street yesterday I haven't gotton to, but I realy could care less about Soviet stuff. But if you need a photo and location, just say so. I hope you and everyone else enjoys and that this isn't too long.

#2: Re: 4ID museum walk around photos for Neil... Author: JeffStringer PostPosted: Sat Aug 26, 2006 5:49 pm
    ----
COOL! A M36B1!

Don't see too many of those!

#3: Re: 4ID museum walk around photos for Neil... Author: DirkLocation: South Africa PostPosted: Sat Aug 26, 2006 5:57 pm
    ----
Super photos again !

The 4th photo - is that a 8cm PAW next to the 75mm PaK40 ?

Thanks for posting the pics

Dirk

#4: Re: 4ID museum walk around photos for Neil... Author: Neil_BaumgardnerLocation: Arlington, VA PostPosted: Sat Aug 26, 2006 7:20 pm
    ----
Wow, great pics Jeff! I will have to take some time tonight to sort through them & report back...

Neil

#5: Re: 4ID museum walk around photos for Neil... Author: Neil_BaumgardnerLocation: Arlington, VA PostPosted: Sat Aug 26, 2006 11:23 pm
    ----
- SFC_Jeff_Button

I need some Soviet armor ID help. Three T-55s? - or is there a Type 59 in there? - and a T-72

Again, thanks much for the pics Jeff!

Only museum items I have left unconfirmed are:
M2? Bradley USA out (perhaps this is the one at the HQ)
M8 Greyhound USA out
M43 USA out

Neil

#6: Re: 4ID museum walk around photos for Neil... Author: jcneelLocation: Victoria, Texas PostPosted: Sun Aug 27, 2006 12:08 am
    ----
[quote="Neil_Baumgardner"]
- SFC_Jeff_Button

I believe that the one on the right is a T55 as evidenced by the gap between the first and second ground wheel and the fume extractor at the end of the barrel.

I believe that the one on the right of this photo is actually a T62. There is no gap between the first and second road wheel here. The one on the left is a T72.

I'm not an expert though....

cn

#7: Re: 4ID museum walk around photos for Neil... Author: jcneelLocation: Victoria, Texas PostPosted: Sun Aug 27, 2006 12:17 am
    ----
- Neil_Baumgardner

Only museum items I have left unconfirmed are:
M2? Bradley USA out (perhaps this is the one at the HQ)
M8 Greyhound USA out
M43 USA out

Neil

I know that the 1st Cav museum had an M8 Greyhound.

not sure about the others.....

cn

#8: Re: 4ID museum walk around photos for Neil... Author: Neil_BaumgardnerLocation: Arlington, VA PostPosted: Sun Aug 27, 2006 1:05 am
    ----
[quote="jcneel"][quote="Neil_Baumgardner"]
- SFC_Jeff_Button

I believe that the one on the right is a T55 as evidenced by the gap between the first and second ground wheel and the fume extractor at the end of the barrel.

Thanks, but if you look closely there's actually four Soviet tanks here. Notice the T-72 is barely in this picture, aside 3 other tanks. So 1 is a T-55, 1 is a T-62, and the one on the far left is the T-72; and the other one is?

Neil

#9: Re: 4ID museum walk around photos for Neil... Author: Neil_BaumgardnerLocation: Arlington, VA PostPosted: Sun Aug 27, 2006 1:13 am
    ----
- JeffStringer
COOL! A M36B1!

Don't see too many of those!

Exactly! I know of only three in existance - a former Yugoslav one with a T-55 engine in the Patton Museum collection (though I have never seen it); another ex-Yugoslav one at the 1st Cavalry Division Museum at Hood; and this one at the 4th Infantry Division Museum.

Neil

#10: Re: 4ID museum walk around photos for Neil... Author: jcneelLocation: Victoria, Texas PostPosted: Sun Aug 27, 2006 1:24 am
    ----
- Neil_Baumgardner

Thanks, but if you look closely there's actually four Soviet tanks here. Notice the T-72 is barely in this picture, aside 3 other tanks. So 1 is a T-55, 1 is a T-62, and the one on the far left is the T-72; and the other one is?

Neil

Well shoot - you're right - judging by the fume extractor at the end of its barrel - I think that this one is also a T55 also or perhaps an Iraqi derivative. From this photo - it looks to have the T55 gap between the first and second roadwheel also. Sorry - don't have it's correct designation.

cn

#11: Re: 4ID museum walk around photos for Neil... Author: L.Delsing PostPosted: Sun Aug 27, 2006 5:14 am
    ----
Hello Jeff,
Thanks for the very nice photos!

Two questions, woud it possible for you to note the constructionnumbers of the Soviet built tanks in the 4ID and 1CAVDIV museums.

And the second, do the T-55s have a little ventilator dome on top of the turret??

Thanks in advance!
Regards,
Lesley

#12: Re: 4ID museum walk around photos for Neil... Author: toadmanstankpictures PostPosted: Sun Aug 27, 2006 7:14 am
    ----
Here's my take on the Soviet tanks.

The first one is probably a T-54 due to what looks like a ventilator dome on the turret. The second is likely a Chinese T-69 due to what looks like headlights on the fenders, the Chinese(?) laser range finder and skirts. The third is a T-62 and the fourth is a T-72.

#13: Re: 4ID museum walk around photos for Neil... Author: SFC_Jeff_ButtonLocation: Ft Hood, TX PostPosted: Sun Aug 27, 2006 3:10 pm
    ----
Wow, I didn't expect such a reaction to the Soviet equipment, which as I stated, I really dont care for. However I will get back there this week and check them out for you all. I'll get pictures of each ones plaque. The M8 Greyhound is at the 1st Cav museum, not the 4th ID's. The M43 is at the 1st Cav museum and I previously posted it on this DG ( I thought). Which vehicle was the M36B1?, I've seen so many I'm getting confused. With its rarity and comments drawn thus far, I will make it my next photo project.

#14: Re: 4ID museum walk around photos for Neil... Author: toadmanstankpictures PostPosted: Sun Aug 27, 2006 3:23 pm
    ----
- SFC_Jeff_Button
Which vehicle was the M36B1?, I've seen so many I'm getting confused. With its rarity and comments drawn thus far, I will make it my next photo project.

Its the 90mm gunned tank destroyer in the picture "m4m18.jpg". The M36B1 was built by taking M4A3 wet stowage hulls and placing a M36 t.d. turret on them. I think only 187 were built. As Neil said, they are pretty rare. Along with the ones he listed, there's at least one more in Poland that was recently recovered in Iraq.

#15: Re: 4ID museum walk around photos for Neil... Author: Roy_A_LingleLocation: El Paso & Ft Bliss, Texas PostPosted: Sun Aug 27, 2006 6:27 pm
    ----
Hi Jeff ! Hi Folks!

- SFC_Jeff_Button

Which vehicle was the M36B1?

The Sherman tank on the right of your photo is the M36B1 tank destoryer.

Again, many thanks for all the super great photos!
Sgt, Scouts Out!

-> AFV News Discussion Board