Interesting Russian locomotive info-unit of measurement?
-> AFV News Discussion Board

#1: Interesting Russian locomotive info-unit of measurement? Author: geoffsteer PostPosted: Sat Aug 26, 2006 6:17 pm
    ----
Hi Guys-
Go to this link:
www.admin.debryansk.ru...hist1.html
Click on:
HISTORY - 1914-1945:
Scroll down about two thirds of the way down the page untill you find this:
"Some more drawings of "SO-K": tender-condenser, special engine equipment."

When you click on "special engine equipment" you'll find yourself looking at a set of plans for this locomotive. Do any of you know what unit of measurement is being used? I am pretty sure the measurements are in millimetres, I'm just wondering if I could be wrong about that? Did the Russians use some unit measurement that is somehow different than what I am familiar with?
With thanks-
Geoff Steer [;-{/)

#2: Re: Interesting Russian locomotive info-unit of measurement? Author: David_ReasonerLocation: South Central Kentucky PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2006 3:56 pm
    ----
It appears to be in millimeters. This would be consistent with the 1930's timeframe. Older Russian units of measurement such as the "line" (1/10 of an inch or 2.54mm) and the "arshin" (28 inches or 0.71 meters) had been officially discontinued by this time.

David

#3: Re: Interesting Russian locomotive info-Thanks David and... Author: geoffsteer PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2006 6:12 pm
    ----
Hi Guys-
Assuming the measurements on the plans are in milimetres, I divided the plan's wheels diameter by 35 and the answer is 39mm. The Trumpeter BR-52 wheels are exactly 39mm, not including the flange. Just to be excruciatingly clear, I mean the diameter of the part of the wheel that actually sits on the track is 39mm, by "flange" I mean the inboard part of the wheel that keeps the wheels between the tracks.That last part was not an attempt to talk down to anyone, I'm just not certain of my nomenclature. I have not yet checked to see if the boiler diameters are the same.
Where am I going with all this? Well, it looks to me as if this could have some potential for a conversion. The Trumpeter BR-52 would give you all the parts necessary to make this Russian locomotive. I would not suggest this as an easy conversion. However, I would say that all the parts that most of us would not consider trying to scratchbuild are provided by the Trumpeter BR-52.
Well, what do you think?
Geoff Steer [;-{/) Rolling Eyes

-> AFV News Discussion Board