Dragon's M-1A1 AIM kit 3535
-> AFV News Discussion Board

#1: Dragon's M-1A1 AIM kit 3535 Author: Roy_A_LingleLocation: El Paso & Ft Bliss, Texas PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2006 3:30 pm
    ----
Hi Folks!

I have had that kit on order through Great Web Model Store (GWMS) sense it was first added to their pre-order section.

I kept an eye on Terry Ashely's PMMS site for news of new kit releases. As of last night, it is still listed on as an item on the 2006 release plan. It's been there for over a year (? maybe more?)

Stopped by GWMS last night to check on the status of my AFV M40 pre-order. Terry did a review on it last week and I am hoping they will be receiving a shipment soon.

To my surpise, I found the Dragon M1A1 AIM "in stock" and my order was being packed! Razz Razz Razz Razz

For any of you who are looking for that kit, headups, it's out there somewhere!
Sgt, Scouts Out!

#2: Re: Dragon's M-1A1 AIM kit 3535 Author: Burik PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2006 3:38 am
    ----
Roy,

You can go to Armorama and check out some threads on how the kit builds. Some guys have a copy already. Here is one:

www.armorama.com/modul...666#686385

It seems like an awesome kit right out of the box.

Bob

#3: Re: Dragon's M-1A1 AIM kit 3535 Author: SabotLocation: Kentucky PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2006 10:11 am
    ----
I was one of the lucky ones and got a complimentary one from Dragon about amonth ago. Very nice kit, about time modern armor was given the same treatment as a Tiger tank.

#4: Re: Dragon's M-1A1 AIM kit 3535 Author: Roy_A_LingleLocation: El Paso & Ft Bliss, Texas PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2006 10:18 am
    ----
Hi Bob! Hi Folks!

Thanks for the link! Very interesting.

Now if they would just finish up that M-1A2 SEP they have been running ads for.

Sgt, Scouts Out! Smile

#5: Re: Dragon's M-1A1 AIM kit 3535 Author: Roy_A_LingleLocation: El Paso & Ft Bliss, Texas PostPosted: Sat Sep 02, 2006 9:35 pm
    ----
Hi Folks!

I received my kit yesterday and I have been floored. If this is the future for Dragon kits, look out folks!

I pulled out my 3524 M1A2, 3531 USMC M1A1, and 3533 M1A1HA 1st Mar Tk Bn kits and spent sometime comparing parts.

First thing I notice was the difference in box height. The M1A2 is the shortest one. The two Marine kit boxes are about a 1/2 inch taller and the new AIM kit is another 1/4 of an inch higher.

There are a large number of spare parts. Two driver hatchs. Two sets of smoke grenade launchers (Army type). Smoke grenade storage boxes that can be left open with grenades inside. Grenades to place in the launchers. Drip pans! Two of them. What to do a motor pool dio? Now you have the required EPA drip pans. There is a tow bar. A mini kit all in it's self. You can hang it on the front like we have seen in a number of pictures from Iraq or with a heat deflecter shield, you can hook your AIM up to another Abrams. The road wheels have something for the detail nuts among us. See through hub caps for checking the oil levels in the road wheels!

Decals! There are decals for nine different vehicles!
A32 1-64th Ar "Desert Rogues" 3rd ID Iraq 2003, the battalion that did both Thunder Runs into Baghdad.
A21 1-68th Ar "Silver Lions" 3rd ID Iraq 2003
HQ66 1-77th Ar "Steel Tigers" 1st ID Germany 2003
B21, B22, B23, B24 (that's every vehicle in the second platoon!) B42 and B43 1-4 Cav "Quarterhorse" 1st ID Iraq 2004

One thing I notice that puzzled me. While the hull tub is new, it still has the placement ridges for the driver's compartment found in the 3531 and 3533 kits.
Anther thing that puzzled me was the fuel tank filler points. Dragon has make the armored caps seperted parts, but the cap for the fill pipe is molded into the hull top. If one wishs to do a refueling dio, you will have to drill out the caps which have some nice detail on them.

Out of time, may add some more commnets later.
Sgt, Scouts Out! Smile

P.S. I have a request for anyone who can take a photo of an Abrams. I could use a close up of a road wheel hub cap showing the correct oil level please.

#6: Re: Dragon's M-1A1 AIM kit 3535 Author: Joe_DLocation: Razorback Country PostPosted: Sun Sep 03, 2006 4:50 pm
    ----
Roy,
I will try to get a picture tommorow and send it to Bob to post. FYI, the oil is filled up to but not above the bottom of the center filler plug so just below half is good. The older the hub cap the more opaque it gets. Only brand new caps are crystal clear. The fill plug is just a rubber expansion plug, the same that are sold in any tractor parts store. Last time I was on an M1 we used turbo shaft (Synthetic Oil) in the hubs, same oil for engine, Had a syrupy orange color, but after a while it turned black. When I get the picture I'll check the Lube Order if I can.

Joe D

-> AFV News Discussion Board