M47?
-> AFV News Discussion Board

#1: M47? Author: JeffStringer PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2006 9:38 am
    ----
Check out this video at.

www.rcpanzer.de/video/m47.wmv

Isn't this an M47 turret on a M60 chassis

#2: Re: M47? Author: jcneelLocation: Victoria, Texas PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2006 10:30 am
    ----
Nope - that's the standard m47 chassis.

The M47 is in the line of vehicles that does proceed to the M60s though -

M26 to M46 to M47 to M48 to M60 (roughly - as far as service vehicles go). All were named the Patton tank from the M46 onwards. The M26 being called the Pershing.

I find it interesting how they all share the same general look and shape. The major diversion being when the M48A2s were given the diesel engine that changed the back deck profile and look.

The M103 kind of fits into this line as it we developed from the M48 series, first as gasline powered and then too converted to diesel.

I've been working on a line of Patton models for a little while - still have quite a few more to do..... anxiously awaiting the Accurate Armour release of their M103A2 kit in the (hopefully) near future.

cn

#3: Re: M47? Author: bsmartLocation: Central Maryland PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2006 12:24 pm
    ----
- JeffStringer
Check out this video at.

www.rcpanzer.de/video/m47.wmv

Isn't this an M47 turret on a M60 chassis

Definitely an M47 hull. Key points - Driver is offset to the left with a co-driver/bow gunner to the right (there is a ballmounted mg in the right side of the glacias). Also the mufflers are on the fenders towards the rear of the vehicle.

The M48 went to a rounded hull front when the deleted the bow gunner and centered the driver in the hull. The M60 went back to a straight front bow, I assume for the extra interior space.

#4: Re: M47? Author: JeffStringer PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2006 12:35 pm
    ----
Ahhh, thanks! I've been looking at too much Soviet armor lately, I then see this video and blank ... I went to sleep! Wink

#5: Re: M47? Author: Roy_A_LingleLocation: El Paso & Ft Bliss, Texas PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2006 7:13 pm
    ----
Hi JC! Hi Folks!

- jcneel

All were named the Patton tank from the M46 onwards. The M26 being called the Pershing.

AFAIK, the M-46, M-47 and the M-48 were officialy named the "General Patton".
Both the M-60 and M-103 were never officialy named after anyone.
With the passage of time, the name Patton has been applied by writers and modellers to the the M-60 FOVs. For most of the M-60's service, no one refered to one as a Patton. It was only after the Abrams and the Bradleys were fielded that tankers started calling their old M-60s Pattons.

Yes, it is true that folks have and are still calling the M-60 FOV Pattons. But like names of Gen. Gavin, Kenndy, Slugger, Lingle and possible the Gen Scott, those names are not official.

My 2 cents about the name Patton,
Sgt, Scouts out! Smile

#6: Re: M47? Author: Vivman PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2006 7:49 pm
    ----
In addition to the above mentioned idenification points, the M-60 chassis never had a tension idler wheel between the last road wheel and the drive sprocket. I believe US armor lost this vestige with the M-48a2c's

#7: Re: M47? Author: Russ_Buchan PostPosted: Sat Sep 02, 2006 5:57 am
    ----
Evening, all:

Given all these unofficial names being bandied about (not yours, of course, Roy!) I would still like to see a dedicated USMC Vehicle Tank Retriever or the like called the "Puller".

If that's not Gung-Ho or manly enough, then just plain "Chesty" would do me fine.

I cannot remember ever, ever, referring to our M-48s as anything other than 'tanks', or 'vehicles'. We called the M-88s 'M-88s' or 'VTRs', and the M-113s 'cans' or 'PC's, or 'tracks'.

When the M-60s came, we called them 'tanks', 'vehicles', or 'sixties'.

We had M-42s up in GDK, but I don't think the term 'Duster' had come into usage yet. I believe that came later, in VietNam.

i also remember being totally pissed back in the late fifties when, upon opening an Aurora 1/48th kit quite clearly depicting an M-48, and labelled "Patton Tank", inside was their same old M-46 kit with new, spurious box art!

(I love the sound of a column of Lingles in the morning!)

Russ

Russ

#8: Re: M47? Author: oldtop PostPosted: Sat Sep 02, 2006 6:59 pm
    ----
Hummmm never called M48s anything but M48s during my time, (M48A1s had the track tension guide removed) M103s were M103s etc however they were also known as BFGT. VTRs M51 (a real pain in the ass to keep running) and M88 were called just that 51s and 88s, M60s with their straight bows were easier to cast.

-> AFV News Discussion Board