some pics from "The Museum of The Regiments" in Calgary, AB
-> AFV News Discussion Board

#1: some pics from "The Museum of The Regiments" in Calgary, AB Author: gregv PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2006 5:24 am
    ----
hello all

some recent pics from "The Museum of The Regiments" in Calgary, Alberta. We arrived only 20 minutes before the place closed, so unfortunately had to basically run through it, but the armour outside was no problem. I wish I would have had more time, as the displays were excellent.

I only realized after I got home from my road trip that the new camera I had bought prior to leaving took rather fuzzy pics on the "scenery" mode, which is what I took 90% of the pics on....

cheers

greg v.

#2: Re: some pics from "The Museum of The Regiments" in Calgary, Author: Paul_Jungnitsch PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2006 5:06 pm
    ----
Thanks for that. I didn't realize there was so much there. I'll have to stop in and check it out.

#3: Re: some pics from "The Museum of The Regiments" in Calgary, Author: gregv PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2006 5:39 am
    ----
Lots more inside, give yourself a while to amble through, its all quite interesting & well done. The Naval Museum of Alberta is pretty much across the highway; here are some pics if you're interested:

cheers

greg v.

#4: Re: some pics from "The Museum of The Regiments" in Calgary, AB Author: jcneelLocation: Victoria, Texas PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2006 10:16 am
    ----
Looks like a great place! I really like the full size diorama with the Sherman breaking through the wall.

Thanks for sharing!

cn

#5: Re: some pics from "The Museum of The Regiments" in Calgary, Author: bsmartLocation: Central Maryland PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2006 11:20 am
    ----
- gregv
Lots more inside, give yourself a while to amble through, its all quite interesting & well done. The Naval Museum of Alberta is pretty much across the highway; here are some pics if you're interested:

cheers

greg v.

Somehow Alberta does not seem like a likely place for a Naval Museum. Sort of like having a Navy Museum in Wyoming.

#6: Re: some pics from "The Museum of The Regiments" in Calgary, AB Author: Maple_Leaf_Eh PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2006 2:23 pm
    ----
I'm sure there is an explanation for the postwar Sherman in a WWII Italy houseclearing diorama.

Two other things struck me, the NATO flag flying next to the T72 display vehicle, and the brass plaque on the Churchill that names the individuals to whom its presence is credited. Most displays are utterly anonymous with very little personalization of the volunteers and donours who work so hard.

#7: Re: some pics from "The Museum of The Regiments" in Calgary, AB Author: Jason_Bobrowich PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2006 4:45 pm
    ----
The museum is now called "The Military Museums". This is due to an opening of scopes to include the Navy and Airforce in the form of guest lectures and cultural events of all the tri-services throughout the years to come.

The M4A2E8 Sherman in the 1:1 diorama was readily available for use from the base. It would have been very hard to find an intact M4A4 or Firefly for them to use.

I believe originally the museum was privately funded by the Regiments. I don't know from the time of opening until the present day how much funding the National and Provincial Governments have provided.

I remember as a M/Cpl in the LdSH(RC) when the museum first opened coming to the museum as a monthly museum duty as a gallery host in order to answer the public's questions and give them tours.

The ex-East German T-72M1 now has an ex-U.S. Army M113 and an ex-Canadian Lynx on either side of it...both of them are runners. What's wrong with the NATO flag beside the T-72?...there are now a lot of NATO member forces that use the T-72.

The Churchill was the only tank on display at the museum to have been brought to Canada with financial support of ex-members of the King's Own Calgary Regiment....thus the plaque.

All the other vehicles were already static displays or gate guards at either Harvey Barracks or Currie Barracks...or brought when it went out of service like the Lynx. The vehicles were all brought there using DND resources. There are volunteers that help out repainting the AFVs from time to time due to graffiti.

There are very few items in the museum that weren't supplied by either the Regiments from their archives or from private donations and sponsors. A few items are loaned periodically from the National War Museum.

Thanks for posting the images. I am glad you liked the museum.

On September 16, 2006 the Alberta AFV Modeller Show will be held at the Museum. It's a great time to see terrific AFV models, even better real life AFVs, and the history of the units that fought with them.

Here's a link to the show site:

www.aafvms.ca/

-> AFV News Discussion Board