USA (NOW V3.0!), Canada, France and Belgium AFV Registers
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 28, 29, 30  Next  :| |:
-> AFV News Discussion Board

#31: Re: USA (NOW V2.9!), Canada and France AFV Registers Author: Neil_BaumgardnerLocation: Arlington, VA PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2008 12:00 pm
    ----
I have just uploaded V3.0 - see the link on the first page.

Neil

#32: Re: USA (NOW V3.0!), Canada and France AFV Registers Author: the_shadockLocation: Normandy, France PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2008 12:16 pm
    ----
Neil,

"FORT CARSON
3 rd Armored Cavalry Regiment Museum
M4A3 Sherman / Jumbo turret USA out? "

http://good-times.webshots.com/photo/2095380240042318703WzZDvQ

Seems that the M4A3/Jumbo at Fort Carson is confirmed to be outside, at least it was surely outside in August 2006.

P-O

#33: Re: USA (NOW V3.0!), Canada and France AFV Registers Author: DontosLocation: Vine Grove, KY PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2008 7:07 pm
    ----
Here are a few items that need to be corrected from V3.0.

Item 1:
Camp Elliot Ca (??)
(As relayed to me via email source)
I heard that 4th Tank Bn, reservists near Camp Elliot near MCAS Miramar, had an Ontos. So I jumped in my car today and drove out to see for myself. I found an M60A1 and a Sherman but no Ontos. I spoke to some of the Marines there and one of them said that he remembers recovering the Ontos after two M60's got stuck during an exercise a number of years ago. They hit something hard, and it turned out to be an Ontos. And supposedly it was on display at Camp Elliot for years after this

Item 2:
Ridgecrest Ca (NWS-China Lake) approx, 76 M50A1 Ontos, as well as M151's, LVTs, SP artillery...... (type & num ukn)

Item 3:
MVTP (Portola Valley Ca) possess T165E1 & T165E2 Prototype Ontos (as listed...) But NO M50 Ontos.

I'll try to get more info on M60 & Sherman at Camp Elliot. Unless someone else has already done this. I'll see about getting specific sn's from Marine Corps Mechanized Museum.

Great stuff Neil! Amazing how far you've steered this project.

Regards
Don

#34: Re: USA (NOW V3.0!), Canada and France AFV Registers Author: toadmanstankpictures PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2008 5:01 am
    ----
- the_shadock
Neil, do you have this one?

Churchill Toad goes to Jacques Littlefield

The Churchill Flail FV3902 or Toad was a post-war (1950s) mine-clearing flail tank built on a Churchill chassis.
Only 42 were made for the Royal Engineers and none saw operational service.
[...] Now thanks to the restoration team of RR Services in Kent, the only survivor has been painstakingly restored to fully operational condition over a two year period.
At it’s unveiling on 16th May, it was handed over to new owner Jacques Littlefield from California.

P-O

It should be here sometime in July. I'll post pics of it as soon as I'm able to take them.

#35: Re: USA (NOW V3.0!), Canada and France AFV Registers Author: the_shadockLocation: Normandy, France PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2008 6:54 am
    ----
Is it the Toad from Bovington or another one?

P-O

#36: Re: USA (NOW V3.0!), Canada and France AFV Registers Author: the_shadockLocation: Normandy, France PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2008 4:24 pm
    ----
"WHEATON
1 s t Division Museum at Catigny"

Spelling mistake, it's Cantigny.
By the way, I suppose that this CA1 Schneider tank in the museum is a fake one, because it's not listed in the register :
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3295/2666777538_eb19628c6d.jpg?v=0

#37: Re: USA (NOW V3.0!), Canada and France AFV Registers Author: Neil_BaumgardnerLocation: Arlington, VA PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2008 5:48 pm
    ----
Yes, it is a fake of course. If its based on something real I suppose I could list that.

BTW, the "modernization plan" - ie base closures - announced last week will probably have some impact on historic AFV displays in France. I mean to look it over & compare to the France register sometime this week if I can...

Neil

#38: Re: USA (NOW V3.0!), Canada and France AFV Registers Author: L.Delsing PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2008 12:51 am
    ----
Hello Neil,
Translating the cyrillic numbers from some T-72 into English
K12BT4233 = K12VT4233 Aberdeen T-72

X09BT5771 = Kh09VT5771 Fort Knox T-72

V11B15727: Fort Knox, most likely a Soviet built tank. In that case after the cyrillic'' B'' (V) should come another letter.In case of T-72s the letters UT, LT, L and G are also possible. This of course in cyrillic.

Ja03WT4620 = Ja03VT4620 Fort Irwin T-72

Regards,
Lesley

#39: Indiana Update - Crane M47 Author: Geoff_walden PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2008 9:40 am
    ----
Neil,

I could not verify the S/N on the M47 that is displayed outside at the Crane Naval Surface Warfare Center (this is no longer the Crane Army Ammunition Activity - the current link is www.crane.navy.mil/defaulthome.asp ).

I couldn't find a S/N on it anywhere - too much paint. There is what looks like an Italian data plate on the back, but it can't be read either.

Anyway, I can confirm it's there. And check out the paint job.

Geoff

#40: Re: USA (NOW V3.0!), Canada and France AFV Registers Author: the_shadockLocation: Normandy, France PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2008 6:29 am
    ----
After having checked the USA AFVs register and the Victory Museum collection at Auburn, I wonder if some vehicles in this museum have to be added to the AFVs regiter :

http://news.webshots.com/album/131958768WRNwLG

Unic P107 transformed into a German armored Half-Track
Lorraine 37L (short)
Opel Maultier

P-O

#41: Re: USA (NOW V3.0!), Canada and France AFV Registers Author: toadmanstankpictures PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2008 7:37 am
    ----
New additions for the U.S. register:

Jacques Littlefield's: M4A3(75) Dry Stowage: stored; not sure who it was obtained from, possibly Brent Mullins. I may have pics this weekend.

Kauai, Hawaii: M5A1 Stuart and LVT(4): both vehicles belong to a private collection and are stored outside along a highway in very poor condition Sad . I'll post pics this weekend.

#42: Re: USA (NOW V3.0!), Canada and France AFV Registers Author: the_shadockLocation: Normandy, France PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2008 12:06 pm
    ----
Ed Bowers of Pearland, Texas, USA recently bought a T-34/85 from another private owner in the US. The tank is nicknamed "Mystery" in cyrillic (but misspelled) on the turret. Ed didn't get his tank at home yet, it still has to be delivered.

He said that his tank : "arrived in the USA during the mid-80's and has been through several owners prior to myself. The "history" seems to be a bit muddled as the story says it is Russian production. The story also goes that it was captured by the SS in Poland and then used by them for a while. Ended up in a Polish Museum until purchased in the mid-80's and shipped to USA. My research seems to indicate it is Polish built in 1946 or 1947, but cannot confirm [...]
The last owner used it to sell rides and modified it by removing the armor from the rear and replaced the hatches with lighter ones. He removed the original diesel and replaced it with a 300hp Cummins truck engine."

If spare parts can be located, Ed will restore the tank to its original configuration (with original engine).

I'll try to know more about this tank, as I will get the SN soon.

P-O

#43: Re: USA (NOW V3.0!), Canada and France AFV Registers Author: supertsar PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2008 2:54 am
    ----
The M114 listed as in Oak Forest Illinois is marked as "Unconfirmed". It's really there! Here is a picture of it - it is in the "Gingerwood" subdivision of Oak Forest.

#44: Re: USA (NOW V3.0!), Canada and France AFV Registers Author: DontosLocation: Vine Grove, KY PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2008 11:06 pm
    ----
Neil

A few updates on the 'shell game' on Ft Knox. Notes from last week (5 Dec 2008).

The M60A1 previously in Keyes Park (on Ballard Ave) has been moved to front of Museum on previously empty 'slab'.

The M4 Sherman (w/ exploded gun tube) is on 'slab' in Keyes Park (Ballard Ave where M60A1 was located).

One of the Afghanistan FT17's (which has been restored) has replaced the FT17 in the WWI gallery of Museum.

The French FT17 from WWI Gallery is in Richardson M.P.

The M60A3 formerly beside 16th CAV building has been removed to Richardson M.P. (Nothing replaced it as of yet)

FYI
Don

#45: Re: USA (NOW V3.0!), Canada and France AFV Registers Author: TichenorLocation: Antwerp PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2008 8:11 pm
    ----
Neil
A M7B1 I couldn't find in the register
It's located in Union City, Tennessee.
Found it here; www.waymarking.com/waymarks/WM5AGA

Michel

-> AFV News Discussion Board