M48 Shillelagh prototype
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next  :| |:
-> AFV News Discussion Board

#16: Re: M48 Shillelagh prototype Author: SHAWN PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2006 4:40 pm
    ----

#17: Re: M48 Shillelagh prototype Author: Joe_DLocation: Razorback Country PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2006 7:10 am
    ----
Hi everyone,
Wow, now that I can see the pictures (MWR Computer), I recognize that turret too. I believe it's the same one used on the 60 hull and was cobbled onto a 48 chassis. My reasoning is based on hull which is a 3 support roller diesel 48. It has the external air cleaner boxes, a gasser had the filters in the hull. That in itself is a rare bird since the A3's were made from M48A0's and A1's with 5 support rollers, only the early trails diesel A3's were converted A2's with 3 rollers. The picture of the back deck top shows where the mounting lugs for the travel lock was too. My experience is those would've been ground off/never installed if this was a purpose built tank, just like the M60A2's and AVLB's were. I believe what we have here is an early M48A3 trails hull (explains the steps) and the former M60 Shillelagh turret. Anyway, that is my best explanation for this unusual beast, somebody have any other ideas?

Joe D

#18: Re: M48 Shillelagh prototype Author: armyjunk2 PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2006 2:05 pm
    ----
Hello You might find some of Detroit monuments at Fort Wayne downtown, I saw last month a Sherman, a M19 twin 40 mm carriage, a 155 mm M-1918 howitzer, a navy 4 in deck gun, a 57 mm AT gun, a 40mm AA gun minus carriage 2 parrot rifles and a captured Spanish-Am war tube and a somewhat modern personnel carrier all look abandoned, but then again so does Detroit...

#19: Re: M48 Shillelagh prototype Author: Neil_BaumgardnerLocation: Arlington, VA PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2006 2:27 pm
    ----
Did the personnel carrier look like this? Last report I had was they have a M114.

Neil

#20: Re: M48 Shillelagh prototype Author: SHAWN PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2006 10:14 pm
    ----
the M114

#21: Re: M48 Shillelagh prototype Author: armyjunk2 PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2006 10:49 pm
    ----
shawn, thats what i saw when i was there

#22: Re: M48 Shillelagh prototype Author: jcneelLocation: Victoria, Texas PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2006 11:35 pm
    ----
- SHAWN

Hey - is that a Composite Hull M4? Other than the one at the Patton Memorial Museum in California - that's the only other one I know of in the States! Are these not pretty rare?
cn

#23: Re: M48 Shillelagh prototype Author: SHAWN PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2006 3:12 am
    ----
that is in fact an M4 composite hull 105mm,
the only one i have seen

#24: Re: M48 Shillelagh prototype Author: armyjunk2 PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2006 12:26 am
    ----
I have better pics if someone wants them, I haven't figured how to post them yet, any help on that would be appreciated...

#25: Re: M48 Shillelagh prototype Author: Neil_BaumgardnerLocation: Arlington, VA PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2006 1:47 am
    ----
photobucket.com is your friend... Its free, and provides a link for any picture so you can post it on a discussion board like this.

Neil

#26: Re: M48 Shillelagh prototype Author: armyjunk2 PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2006 2:46 am
    ----
thank you....is it hard to post them in here without photobucket?

#27: Re: M48 Shillelagh prototype Author: Doug_KibbeyLocation: The Great Satan PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2006 2:55 am
    ----
- armyjunk2
thank you....is it hard to post them in here without photobucket?

Photobucket and Imageshack are but two of various image hosting services (and you get a free gallery here at Com-Central, BTW, but you can only link pics to it within this website...not so with the other two).

Using a hosting service and hotlinking to your post is the preferred method, because the site automatically resizes them to 800x600 (width x height) pixels for convenient display while not crippling guys on dialup and making everybody scroll left and right to see huge pictures. It is possible to attach directly, but that isn't recommended because there's a tendency to defeat the resize function and inconvenience everybody trying to follow a thread. Plus, I have to come along and ask that it be changed or delete the attachment if it violates those guidelines, and I hate doing chores. Laughing

If you want a larger image available, don't hotlink to "display", just post the URL link so people can decide for themselves if they want to view the larger image. Some folks do both so you get the resized version, with the larger one available as an option viewed "offsite", as Fled has done in this thread (for example): www.com-central.net/in...amp;t=5032

He put the direct link beneath the pic to be viewed larger without making us scroll around in the post itself...a good practice. Wink

#28: Re: M48 Shillelagh prototype Author: armyjunk2 PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2006 3:15 am
    ----
12 pics, lets see if this works this is the Armor i saw at Fort Wayne in Detroit

Last edited by armyjunk2 on Sat Jul 07, 2007 8:20 pm; edited 2 times in total

#29: Re: M48 Shillelagh prototype Author: Roy_A_LingleLocation: El Paso & Ft Bliss, Texas PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2006 9:17 am
    ----
Hi Army! Hi Folks!

Good set of photos, THANKS. I am always happy to see more photos of my number recon vehicle, the M-114 Lingle! Mr. Green

I noticed something new on that Sherman transmission cover in Army's photos. Confused

Many Shermans had a metal strap, running from the transmission cover over to the lugs for mounting towing shakles, that the crew could use for a step to get up and down the front of the vehicle. That Sherman doesn't have straps, it has a solid metal plates. I have never noticed the steps done that way on other Shermans. Has anyone else?

Something new, maybe? Smile
Sgt, Scouts Out!

#30: Re: M48 Shillelagh prototype Author: SHAWN PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2006 12:22 pm
    ----
so armyjunk2, you took these recently? ah you're the one. than you are the one who was taking unauthorized photos of the fort? i had a report come across my desk from 2 of the guards down there of someone taking pics, never acknowledged there presence and took off when approached.
was that you? you need to check in with the guards at the front gate or with the detroit historical society office to obtain permission to take pictures at the fort.

just messing with you man. just a joke!
you live in the detroit area? or you were just in the fort for a looksy?
if you live in the area, do you belong to the imps, maybe i have seen you at a meeting...
shawn

-> AFV News Discussion Board