M114 with the elusive 20mm mount?
-> AFV News Discussion Board

#1: M114 with the elusive 20mm mount? Author: C_Sherman PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2006 5:56 pm
    ----
Memorial Park in Garfield, NJ...according to the Tanks For the Memories geocacheing site:

img.geocaching.com/cac...5f0511.jpg

The M114 itself is pretty fuzzy, but is that the elusive 20mm mount there? If so, I wonder if anyone knows the rarity of it?

C

Update: Duh. How about another pic of that Lingle to answer my question?

img.geocaching.com/cac...187880.jpg

img.geocaching.com/cac...f1fac6.jpg

Helps a bit, eh?

C

#2: Re: M114 with the elusive 20mm mount? Author: Doug_KibbeyLocation: The Great Satan PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2006 6:28 pm
    ----
Dat's da' one!

#3: Re: M114 with the elusive 20mm mount? Author: DontosLocation: Vine Grove, KY PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2006 8:13 pm
    ----
- C_Sherman
Memorial Park in Garfield, NJ...according to the Tanks For the Memories geocacheing site:

The M114 itself is pretty fuzzy, but is that the elusive 20mm mount there? If so, I wonder if anyone knows the rarity of it?

C

Helps a bit, eh?

C

I've seen the TC hatch with the 20mm mount 'floating around here in storage... Guess we need to mount it on 'ours'....

Don

#4: Re: M114 with the elusive 20mm mount? Author: bsmartLocation: Central Maryland PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2006 12:16 am
    ----
- C_Sherman

C

Helps a bit, eh?

C

Boy those look like they just drove it there, parked it, and walked away.

#5: Re: M114 with the elusive 20mm mount? Author: SFC_Jeff_ButtonLocation: Ft Hood, TX PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2006 3:15 am
    ----
The nose looks awfully plain. Can anyone identify the markings / unit?

#6: Re: M114 with the elusive 20mm mount? Author: Maple_Leaf_Eh PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2006 10:54 pm
    ----
There are visual similarities between this cupola and MG mount, and the crew commander's cupola on the Lynx. Our Edmonton-based photographer colleague ldshrecceboy has a walk-around of the Canadian Lynx.

Would someone with more Lingle knowledge please stand up?

#7: Re: M114 with the elusive 20mm mount? Author: Hellfish6Location: Orlando PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2006 10:58 pm
    ----
I have pics from Camp Shelby with a M114 and 20mm I believe.

Or is it a .50? I've been up for 23 hours. Everything is kind of a blur to me.

#8: Re: M114 with the elusive 20mm mount? Author: C_Sherman PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2006 4:04 am
    ----
- Hellfish6

It was a .50cal when I was there two years ago.

C

#9: Re: M114 with the elusive 20mm mount? Author: Roy_A_LingleLocation: El Paso & Ft Bliss, Texas PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2006 7:27 am
    ----
Hi HF6! Hi Folks!

- Hellfish6

That is the hand cranked XM-26 turret with a M2 HB TT 50 cal. machine gun.

The M114 with a 20mm will have the same turret which was the XM-27 powered turret. Differences was the drive system under the armor and the gun cradle on top with an ammo box mounted on the right side of the turret.

Also the 20mm gun barrel will reach almost to the front end of the hull.

Spot Report!
Sgt, Scouts Out!

#10: Re: M114 with the elusive 20mm mount? Author: Roy_A_LingleLocation: El Paso & Ft Bliss, Texas PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2006 7:36 am
    ----
Hi Jeff! Hi Folks!

- SFC_Jeff_Button

The nose looks awfully plain. Can anyone identify the markings / unit?

That vehicle is missing a lot of items. As for the markings, doesn't make a lot of sense to me.

B-56 should mean B Troop, however the number '56' sounds more like the scout platoon of an infantry or tank battalion combat support company (CSC). If that was a cavalry troop vehicle, the number should be in 10s (1st platoon) 20s (2nd platoon), or 30s (3rd platoon).

The marking on the left side, which I am not sure what it is, looks a bit like the early 1950s type cavalry markings.

This scout is confuzed.
Sgt, Scouts Out!

Last edited by Roy_A_Lingle on Mon Sep 11, 2006 8:33 pm; edited 1 time in total

#11: Re: M114 with the elusive 20mm mount? Author: Roy_A_LingleLocation: El Paso & Ft Bliss, Texas PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2006 7:40 am
    ----
Hi Eh! Hi Folks!

- Maple_Leaf_Eh

There are visual similarities between this cupola and MG mount, and the crew commander's cupola on the Lynx. Our Edmonton-based photographer colleague ldshrecceboy has a walk-around of the Canadian Lynx.

Would someone with more Lingle knowledge please stand up?

From the one time I got to look at a Canadian Lynx, it had the same XM-26 turret for a M2 HB TT .50 cal as the US Army's M-114A1 Lingles.

Spot Report!
Sgt, Scouts Out!

#12: Re: M114 with the elusive 20mm mount? Author: bsmartLocation: Central Maryland PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2006 8:06 am
    ----
I was just looking back at the links C Sherman provided and the front glacias plate looks awfully sparce. The engine access panel appears to have been replaced with a welded sheet of metal. and there are NO fittings for lights, swim board, etc on it. It is almost like someone had butchered the front end and to display it they fabricated a new glacias panel for it and did the minimum work required.

#13: Re: M114 with the elusive 20mm mount? Author: Roy_A_LingleLocation: El Paso & Ft Bliss, Texas PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2006 9:48 am
    ----
Hi Bill! Hi Folks!

- bsmart

I was just looking back at the links C Sherman provided and the front glacias plate looks awfully sparce. The engine access panel appears to have been replaced with a welded sheet of metal. and there are NO fittings for lights, swim board, etc on it. It is almost like someone had butchered the front end and to display it they fabricated a new glacias panel for it and did the minimum work required.

I agree. It also looks to me like part of the engine grill in laying down into the engine compartment and not setting flat on top of the hull.

Something that surprises me is someone removed the lifting rings off the top front corners of the hull. But then took the trouble to screw those long bolts back into the holes.

Anyone notice that the top cover on the gun cradle is open and standing streight up?

Something that clearly helps IDs this vehicle as a M-114A1E1/A2. The M-114A1's gun cradle doesn't have a top on it.

Spot Report!
Sgt, Scouts Out!

#14: Re: M114 with the elusive 20mm mount? Author: bsmartLocation: Central Maryland PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2006 9:58 am
    ----
- Roy_A_Lingle
Hi Bill! Hi Folks!

Anyone notice that the top cover on the gun cradle is open and standing streight up?

Something that clearly helps IDs this vehicle as a M-114A1E1/A2. The M-114A1's gun cradle doesn't have a top on it.

Spot Report!
Sgt, Scouts Out!

I am not familiar enough with the Lingle to have noticed that. The mount did look strange but I figured it was a feature of the 20mm mount. We bow to the all knowing Master Lingleer

#15: Re: M114 with the elusive 20mm mount? Author: Roy_A_LingleLocation: El Paso & Ft Bliss, Texas PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2006 10:00 am
    ----
Hi Bob! Hi Folks!

- bsmart

We bow to the all knowing Master Lingleer

Careful now Bob, you are going to give me a fat head with talk like that.

Mr. Green Mr. Green Mr. Green Mr. Green
Sgt, Scouts Out!

-> AFV News Discussion Board