Odd M113 front slope...
-> AFV News Discussion Board

#1: Odd M113 front slope... Author: SFC_Jeff_ButtonLocation: Ft Hood, TX PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2006 12:51 am
    ----

I found this picture on Army Knowledge On-Line (AKO). What I found "odd" was the front slope. On the M113 family vehicles I have been around, the small flat area just above the track is where most bumper numbers are located, and then the front slope angles back from there, however this one angles forward and then back. I also notice the rear area behind the driver is angled in around the top- 1 foot of the edge. Then there's the trim vane on the front. It appears to be down and possibly connected via the bar at the bottom of the hull. Below is the caption found under this photo.

Sgt. Nicholas Turner, from 6th Battalion, 32nd Field Artillery Regiment, delivers a tracked vehicle to Iraqi security forces in Baghdad. Photo by Petty Officer 2nd Class Eli Medellin.

#2: Re: Odd M113 front slope... Author: RichardIsner PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2006 1:09 am
    ----
Pakistan-designed Talha....M113 with engine from Ukraine and sloped sides.

#3: Re: Odd M113 front slope... Author: SFC_Jeff_ButtonLocation: Ft Hood, TX PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2006 1:28 am
    ----
I'm wondering how much $$$$$ the U.S. put into that vehicle with its pretty paint job before we handed it over. I have to bite my tongue now before I say anything further. I just hate seeing us hand over equipment that just might end up being used against us, but that politics huh?!?!?

#4: Re: Odd M113 front slope... Author: Doug_KibbeyLocation: The Great Satan PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2006 1:39 am
    ----
M113 variants have been built and/or modified under license all over the world. Didn't necessarily come from here. Wink

#5: Re: Odd M113 front slope... Author: Joe_DLocation: Razorback Country PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2006 1:53 am
    ----
Hey Jeff,
Have a little faith man, Wink . It's just a box with tracks Mr. Green , besides, it makes a great instant checkpoint/gaurd post.

Joe D

#6: Re: Odd M113 front slope... Author: C_Sherman PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2006 2:32 am
    ----
Hi all,

FMC (or whatever they are called this week) licensed the basic technology to a number of "friendly" nations around the world. The development work that went into the unsuccessful efforts to build what became the Bradley was leveraged into a low cost IFV for less technically sophisticated (politically motivated?) nations. I know that the Turks have a factory building them, and the Dutch YPR-something is mostly based on the venerable M113. I'd heard that Pak either had some or was building them, so that's no surprise here. I've heard or read about several other international production facilities in different nations, too.

I suspect that the M113 family is going to be around for quite a while in some form or another. Which is a good thing!

C

#7: Re: Odd M113 front slope... Author: mike_Duplessis PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2006 2:06 pm
    ----
The angled hull sides at the rear look to be pretty much a copy of an Italian produced version of the M113 from the 70s. So the design might've travelled from U.S. to Italy to Pakistan to Iraq. Could Iraq have been unable to purchase (cough cough) a U.S.-made base model M113A3? Are they still being manufactured here? I think the M113 passed the most-manufactured-armor-ever landmark quite awhile ago, exceeding Sherman, T34, and T55 by a long shot.

#8: Re: Odd M113 front slope... Author: RichardIsner PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2006 11:11 pm
    ----
Pakistan is just one country that is suppling arms and armor to Iraq. You can read more about it in Jane's. Some of the first had the driver on the left!

#9: Re: Odd M113 front slope... Author: RichardIsner PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2006 11:11 pm
    ----
Sorry....make that the right side for the driver.

#10: Re: Odd M113 front slope... Author: Doug_KibbeyLocation: The Great Satan PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2006 11:57 pm
    ----
Since nobody else commented on it, I will.....have a look at the thickness of that gunshield armor (Roy!)....protection as good or better than the hull of a standard M113 (certainly better, if it's steel).

#11: Re: Odd M113 front slope... Author: Roy_A_LingleLocation: El Paso & Ft Bliss, Texas PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2006 6:01 am
    ----
Hi Doug! Hi Folks!

- Doug_Kibbey

Since nobody else commented on it, I will.....have a look at the thickness of that gunshield armor (Roy!)....protection as good or better than the hull of a standard M113 (certainly better, if it's steel).

I notice that and I too was wonder if that was steel or something else. Confused

I wonder if the front hull plates are also thicker? Would love to pop that engine compartment hatch and check out the armor. Razz

If I wasn't so in love with the world's greatest scout vehicle ever and so hard at work getting the rest of the world to rename it the 'Lingle' Rolling Eyes , I would launch an internet campain to rename the M-113 "The Blackhorse". Mr. Green

Very interesting!
Sgt, Scouts Out! Smile

-> AFV News Discussion Board