Do you need to find a book?
-> AFV News Discussion Board

#1: Do you need to find a book? Author: bsmartLocation: Central Maryland PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2006 10:26 pm
    ----
I just found out about this on another mailing list I'm on.

worldcat.org/

Will find books all over (Try using R. P. Hunnicutt as the initial search string)

There's a copy of Firepower only 17 miles away in the next county over !!!

#2: Re: Do you need to find a book? Author: Neil_BaumgardnerLocation: Arlington, VA PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2006 12:33 am
    ----
You can also order Hunnicutts via inter-library loan...

However, I am interested to see that the Army Materiel Command (AMC) has a library. Its listed as being in Alexandria, but AMC moved to Fort Belvoir a couple of years back. I have to assume its different from the post library, which I have been to - but on the other hand its probably not open weekends. I have a Belvoir contact, I'll have to try him...

Neil

#3: Re: Do you need to find a book? Author: JimWebLocation: The back of beyond PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2006 9:54 am
    ----
All of the Hunnicuts are 'available' on the internet in PDF form for the financially-impaired. Its just a case of searching around. Some of them are even of sufficient quality to print out a decent copy with a decent printer.

Cool

#4: Re: Do you need to find a book? Author: bsmartLocation: Central Maryland PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2006 12:08 pm
    ----
- JimWeb
All of the Hunnicuts are 'available' on the internet in PDF form for the financially-impaired. Its just a case of searching around. Some of them are even of sufficient quality to print out a decent copy with a decent printer.

Cool

I won't even get into the legality or propriety of such copies. The only reason I mentioned Hunnicutt in this context is that it is a common 'rare' book that someone could use such a tool to look for. I was surprised to find Firepower listed in a county public library in an area not known for a heavy military influence.

#5: Re: Do you need to find a book? Author: LeeW PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2006 12:34 pm
    ----
Many libraries will buy books at the request of patrons. If several people request a book it's almost certain to be on the buy list but often a single request is enough. Interlibrary loan is also worth considering. I was often able to get books or magazines unavailable at the local library via interlibrary loan. When I was in college I actually prefered it if our library didn't have the magazine I was looing for becuase that meant I got a free photo copy via interlibrary "loan".

#6: Re: Do you need to find a book? Author: JimWebLocation: The back of beyond PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2006 6:24 pm
    ----
- bsmart

I won't even get into the legality or propriety of such copies. The only reason I mentioned Hunnicutt in this context is that it is a common 'rare' book that someone could use such a tool to look for. I was surprised to find Firepower listed in a county public library in an area not known for a heavy military influence.

Its usually the ridiculous prices of books that feed the desire to have a pdf copy - I blame the publishers for letting the prices get out of hand as once they started appearing at such prices they should have done a reprint.

And don't start me off on public libraries ... Ours is in a vary large red-brick building and used to occupy it all. Now it occupies one room with another turned into an internet cafe, the upstairs is unoccupied due to the magnificant carved wooden staircase deemed to be a fire hazard and the bulk of the remainder of the ground floor is let to a print workshop... oh and the military section of the library disappeared a couple of years ago due to 'lack of demand' Mad

Cool

#7: Re: Do you need to find a book? Author: Dubliner PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2006 2:05 pm
    ----
nt

Last edited by Dubliner on Sat Mar 24, 2007 1:58 pm; edited 1 time in total

#8: Re: Do you need to find a book? Author: BAGTICLocation: Missouri Ozarks PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2007 3:45 am
    ----
I am a retired county librarian (US). No demand means that for years the domination of public libraries by females has trained the public not to go to the public libraries for such things.

When I took over as county librarian I was shocked to see that there were not any materials or military subjects, or automotive, or DIY, or hunting and fishing. There was plenty about collecting (dishes. furniture, etc.), child rearing, etc.

Build it and they will come.

-> AFV News Discussion Board