What is this tank?
-> AFV News Discussion Board

#1: What is this tank? Author: SFC_Jeff_ButtonLocation: Ft Hood, TX PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2006 1:52 am
    ----
Another picture I found at Strangemilitary.com. They very seldom have captions with any real meaning so I was wondering what this tank is?

#2: Re: What is this tank? Author: Hellfish6Location: Orlando PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2006 2:21 am
    ----
Looks like a Magatch 7 - an Israeli improved M60A1

#3: Re: What is this tank? Author: SFC_Jeff_ButtonLocation: Ft Hood, TX PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2006 2:41 am
    ----
I never would have guessed an M60 varient!

#4: Re: What is this tank? Author: Roy_A_LingleLocation: El Paso & Ft Bliss, Texas PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2006 6:11 am
    ----
Hi Jeff! Hi Folks!

- SFC_Jeff_Button

I never would have guessed an M60 varient!

Trying to keep up with what the IDF has done to other counties AFVs is a major field of study as great as trying to learn all the different ways a Sherman was put together and used over the years.

I knew there was a M-60 under all that, but I didn't know the correct IDF name for it.

Now that you know it is a US M-60 MBT, did you notice the track block?

Sgt, Scouts Out!

#5: Re: What is this tank? Author: Vivman PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2006 8:58 am
    ----
Hi all,

I believe it is an Israeli Magach 7c (aka Magach Gimel <-- Hebrew designation)

#6: Re: What is this tank? Author: buglerbilly PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2006 9:04 am
    ----
It's the MAGACH 7C methinks, see the bottom of the linked page below................

www.israeli-weapons.co...Photos.htm

Good turret view here.............tight fit for the Driver! Shocked

These are all from this site: -

www.israeli-weapons.co...apons.html

First class details with plenty of images.

Regards,

BUG

#7: Re: What is this tank? Author: SFC_Jeff_ButtonLocation: Ft Hood, TX PostPosted: Sat Sep 16, 2006 1:00 am
    ----
What am I looking at with the track block?

#8: Re: What is this tank? Author: margrave PostPosted: Sat Sep 16, 2006 3:30 am
    ----
The tracks are the same as on the Merkava, unlike anything you'll see on the M60...

#9: Re: What is this tank? Author: Roy_A_LingleLocation: El Paso & Ft Bliss, Texas PostPosted: Sat Sep 16, 2006 2:11 pm
    ----
Hi Jeff! Hi Folks!

- SFC_Jeff_Button

What am I looking at with the track block?

Something like those Shermans you found with the T-66, single pin steel track block. The original wide type of track block for the Sherman.

Then the US switched to double pin rubber type track block.

The M-60 in U.S. service started out with rubber chevon type block, upgraded to the replaceable hex pad type of block.
Check out the double pin chevon rubber block on your photo of this M60 at range control:

Then check out the double pin hex pad track block in your photo of the M60 at the MATES site.

The IDF has reversed what the U.S. has done over the years. They replaced the double pin rubber block track with single pin, steel block. You can see the block in your post from strange tanks is very different from what the U.S. had used. The view of the track block in the photo Bug posted is a little clearer.

Tech Intell Report,
Sgt, Scouts Out!

#10: Re: What is this tank? Author: tanker2010Location: Kansas City, Mo. PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2006 10:59 pm
    ----
Yes, it's a MAGACH 7C. They are built off of M60A0's, Slick 60's for those of you old enough to remember.

-> AFV News Discussion Board