Kelly's Heros AFV Movie Quiz
Go to page Previous  1, 2  :| |:
-> AFV News Discussion Board

#16: Re: Kelly's Heros AFV Movie Quiz Author: DontosLocation: Vine Grove, KY PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2006 10:34 am
    ----
- Neil_Baumgardner
I take it there arent any of these in the States?

None recovered from Bosnia/Kosovo for example?

Neil

I do know (from personal experience) that there were quite a number of M36B1 (or B2's), M10's, & M18's in Bosnia as late as 1999. However, I don't recall seeing any 'straight' Sherman's of any variant.

My observations are only limited to 'our' sector in MND-North, which only included 4 weapon storage sites in the 'RS'. 2 sites of which medium & heavy tracked vehicles were the primary stored weapons. These were in the area South of Tuzla.

Don

#17: Re: Kelly's Heros AFV Movie Quiz Author: David_ReasonerLocation: South Central Kentucky PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2006 5:56 pm
    ----
Bonus question: Soko 522 trainer ?

www.airwar.ru/enc/other/522.html

David

#18: Re: Kelly's Heros AFV Movie Quiz Author: SHAWN PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2006 10:17 pm
    ----
nice questions. i always liked this movie. tigers and shermans and some action.

did you notice the jeep that is mounting the M20 75mm (?)?

the tiger has the LAH insignia but no shield, or shield and wreath. the LAH stug company had a lone key variant.

the opening has the tiger(s) belonging to the 7th panzer division. they never had tigers...

the M5 high speed tractor

as to the wingy--thingy. it is a bad, bad, bad, thing to discuss that type of thing here...

#19: Re: Kelly's Heros AFV Movie Quiz Author: SHAWN PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2006 10:27 pm
    ----
oh yeah,
321st and the 35th have broken thru on the right flank...
"and 60 feet of bridge i can get just about anywhere... smuck!"

#20: Re: Kelly's Heros AFV Movie Quiz Author: Maple_Leaf_Eh PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2006 12:23 am
    ----
- toadmanstankpictures
0ne of the answers I received from someone in the former Yugoslavia was this: "On January 13. 1979, Shermans were formaly declared obsolute and sent to scrapyards/museums etc. They were not in the first line service since the late '60s."

A similar story has been told that memorials for partisans were distributed amongst the Yugoslav villages and towns according to that locale's supportiveness of Tito. More young fighters sent to the Partisans, the more generous the trophy vehicle for the town square. The town of Drvar where Tito ran like heck away from an SS Parachute assault, has a rather attractive black granite star monument to the same effect. But the local hillbillies shot it up during the war. I am surprised few old Shermans were resurrected by the belligerants,

One Canadian soldier did however tell me he recognized the track marks of a CDP (or other metal track) in the soft sand of a trail he and his platoon were patrolling. Didn't see the vehicle, but from his modelling days knew the track signature.

#21: Re: Kelly's Heros AFV Movie Quiz Author: Roy_A_LingleLocation: El Paso & Ft Bliss, Texas PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2006 7:47 am
    ----
Hi Folks!

"as to the wingy--thingy. it is a bad, bad, bad, thing to discuss that type of thing here..."

It is always a good thing for AFV types to know their aerial targets so they don't shoot at friendlies.

I though the M-139 20mm auto cannon carried by the M114A2 Lingle would have been a great AAA system! Mr. Green
Sgt, Scouts Out!

#22: Re: Kelly's Heros AFV Movie Quiz Author: pineyLocation: Republic of Southern New Jersey PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2006 3:21 pm
    ----
I'm wondering if the wingy thing is a T-28 Trojan?

Jeff Lewis

#23: Re: Kelly's Heros AFV Movie Quiz Author: SabotLocation: Kentucky PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2006 6:08 pm
    ----
- piney
I'm wondering if the wingy thing is a T-28 Trojan?

Jeff Lewis
No, the T-28 had a nose wheel with tricycle landing gear. This plane is definitely a tail dragger.

#24: Re: Kelly's Heros AFV Movie Quiz Author: bsmartLocation: Central Maryland PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2006 7:09 pm
    ----
I think someone nailed it with the SOKO 522. I knew it was a local Yugo bird but didn't have time to look up the references

#25: Re: Kelly's Heros AFV Movie Quiz Author: David_ReasonerLocation: South Central Kentucky PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2006 3:28 pm
    ----
- bsmart
I think someone nailed it with the SOKO 522. I knew it was a local Yugo bird but didn't have time to look up the references

Better picture (well, drawing actually...)of one here:

www.airwar.ru/image/id.../522-1.gif

David

#26: Re: Kelly's Heros AFV Movie Quiz Author: Richard_Stickland PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2006 8:45 pm
    ----
I photographed this 'E4' in the former Yugoslavia in August.

Hi Richard, Welcome to the AFV DG! If you would, please resize your image (which I deleted, but not because we don't want to see it...) to 800 x 600 w x h maximum if posting as an attachment...or use our gallery or a hosting service like Photobucket. Those services will resize your image automatically here to max 800 wide and thus avoid having the members having to scroll around and wear out their little mouse legs trying to see both your image and other posts in the thread. It's a requirement we make of everybody on the site. If you want to display a larger image, you can just post a link to an image hosting service so others can click on it and view in a larger size if they wish.

Thanks!
D.

-> AFV News Discussion Board