#16: Re: sherman 105mm Author: Sundrtonge PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2006 5:43 pm
    ----
Thanks LeeW!

-dave

#17: Re: sherman 105mm Author: LeeW PostPosted: Sat Sep 23, 2006 1:55 pm
    ----
- Sundrtonge
Hi Neil,
I was just doing a bit of math, if the 105 has the same performance as the artillery piece, but the elevation allowance is about half that of the artillery piece I would think it is safe to assume that the range of the 105 Sherman would be about hald for indirect fire.

-Dave

They often drove their front end up on a berm to get extra elevation. This was also practiced with the 75mm armed Shermans I believe as well. Incidents of this occur with other US tanks and their are a number of photos of them in Korea and Vietnam I beleive. I'm pretty sure there was a picture posted either on this board or its previous incarnation of a Sherman or two surrounded by mounds of brass. I can't seam to find it so may not have kept a copy. Perhaps someone else can post it or a link to it.

#18: Re: sherman 105mm Author: JWB2 PostPosted: Sat Sep 23, 2006 4:22 pm
    ----
Here is a pic>
upload.wikimedia.org/w...-korea.jpg

#19: Re: sherman 105mm Author: Roy_A_LingleLocation: El Paso & Ft Bliss, Texas PostPosted: Sat Sep 23, 2006 4:45 pm
    ----
Hi Dave! Hi Folks!

- Sundrtonge

I was just doing a bit of math, if the 105 has the same performance as the artillery piece, but the elevation allowance is about half that of the artillery piece I would think it is safe to assume that the range of the 105 Sherman would be about hald for indirect fire.

Not so fast on that elevation allowance. True the elevation for a tank setting on flat ground maybe half. But there are a lot of photos around of tanks that have been driven up onto something which lifts the front end up. Before you know it, that same tank can equal a stardard towed 105 in elevation.

Something to think about.
Sgt, Scouts Out!

#20: Re: sherman 105mm Author: bsmartLocation: Central Maryland PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2006 12:00 pm
    ----
- Sundrtonge
Hi Neil,

i think I did speak with Bob and it just didnt happen, I didnt raelize this until a little bit ago. Him and Geroge have been great! I was able to get a behind the scenes tour as well, though they were quite busy. I snaged up shots of the Elephant as well over at the railhead, pretty cool vehicle!

-Dave

Yea, this was one of the few times (maybe the only time so far) I couldn't be there for someone on this list. Dave had a pretty tight schedule and I had a previous commitment. But If I remember correctly it was on a weekday and I'm pretty sure Ed showed him around.

#21: Re: sherman 105mm Author: Sundrtonge PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2006 1:52 pm
    ----
I see what you are saying on the elevation - excellent points! thanks.

Yes Bob I was on a very tight schedule, hopefully next time! They were great over there I highly recommend it to eveyone just to visit.

-dave

-> AFV News Discussion Board