HEL STTV? Anyone know this vehicle?
-> AFV News Discussion Board

#1: HEL STTV? Anyone know this vehicle? Author: Neil_BaumgardnerLocation: Arlington, VA PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2006 6:49 pm
    ----
Found this while digging through the G503 forum, apparently located at the NJARNG facility in Sea Girt:

According to one poster over there it was "experimental moving target used at Fort Dix for sub-caliber tank training against randomly moving targets" and may have been based on an M114?

But if thats so whats with the acronym? Doesnt HEL stand for High Energy Laser, and STTV for See Through Turret Visualization? Or maybe its small or sub-caliber tactical target vehicle in this case?

Neil

#2: Re: HEL STTV? Anyone know this vehicle? Author: JimWebLocation: The back of beyond PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2006 9:08 pm
    ----
Its the HEL (Human Engineering Lab) Scaled Tactical Target Vehicle. A radio-controlled target for vehicles equipped with laser gun simulators.

Cool

#3: Re: HEL STTV? Anyone know this vehicle? Author: Roy_A_LingleLocation: El Paso & Ft Bliss, Texas PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2006 7:33 am
    ----
Hi Neil! Hi Folks!

After looking at the side views and the view of rear (? I think it's the rear) I don't think that's a M114 under all that.

I agree it does look like it has four road wheels. However it looks like the tracks at the rear stick out passed the hull. Something the tracks on the M114 didn't do at either end.

Without more detailed photos, I would say that's NOT a M114 under all that. Confused
Sgt, Scouts Out!

#4: Re: HEL STTV? Anyone know this vehicle? Author: JimWebLocation: The back of beyond PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2006 2:07 pm
    ----
Definately was, originally, an M114 however the hull was so rebuilt that is difficult to relate it to one anymore.

Cool

#5: Re: HEL STTV? Anyone know this vehicle? Author: Roy_A_LingleLocation: El Paso & Ft Bliss, Texas PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2006 2:11 pm
    ----
Hi Folks!

We all have forgotten, Jim posted this photo in another M114 thread.

I stand corrected, that is a M114. Shocked

Sgt, Scouts Out!

#6: Re: HEL STTV? Anyone know this vehicle? Author: JimWebLocation: The back of beyond PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2006 2:25 pm
    ----
I think that unless someone actually told you it was an M114 you would be pushed to id it as one!

Cool

#7: Re: HEL STTV? Anyone know this vehicle? Author: Roy_A_LingleLocation: El Paso & Ft Bliss, Texas PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2006 2:25 pm
    ----
Hi Folks!

I notice something interesting (at least to me anyway).
The Army registration on the STTV is 13B766

Chuck Sherman found this M114 in the wood of Ft Lewis.
It's Army registration number looks like 13B768.

Chuck's photo is found back in his My Ding-Lingle thread along with a number of interior shots.

Hey! It a Lingle, I notice things like that!
Sgt, Scouts out!

-> AFV News Discussion Board