Skeleton Tank..
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next  :| |:
-> AFV News Discussion Board

#16: Re: Skeleton Tank.. Author: JimWebLocation: The back of beyond PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2006 12:57 am
    ----
- Dubliner
Here is a good Landship thread on the Skeleton Tank,

Landships Skeleton Tank DG Thread

Included in the thread is a picture of the vehicle without the wooden track guards, answers some of my questions...

Anyone get the images - the link don't seem to work for me.

Cool

#17: Re: Skeleton Tank.. Author: TaranovLocation: Moscow, Russia PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2006 4:13 pm
    ----
Little O/T

www.activeboard.com/fo...ID=8981898
LOL Laughing Evil russians stole poor FCM 2C... Laughing Laughing

#18: Re: Skeleton Tank.. Author: Dubliner PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2006 4:58 pm
    ----
nt

Last edited by Dubliner on Sat Mar 24, 2007 1:38 pm; edited 1 time in total

#19: Re: Skeleton Tank.. Author: Neil_BaumgardnerLocation: Arlington, VA PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2006 5:27 pm
    ----
The question of a surviving FCM 2C is interesting... Odds are the East Germans or Soviets scrapped it... But then again its not hard to imagine the Soviets dragging it back to Kubinka... Not sure why they'd hide it though... It would be a fairly legitimate war trophy, albeit a very rare one...

In comparison, the Ordnance Museum's Somua S 35 came from Germany's Hilliersleben proving ground. Saumur asked for the Schneider & St Chamond back (which was acquired by the museum cWWI), but not the Somua...

Neil

#20: Re: Skeleton Tank.. Author: TaranovLocation: Moscow, Russia PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2006 7:13 pm
    ----
Laughing

#21: Re: Skeleton Tank.. Author: JimWebLocation: The back of beyond PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2006 10:47 pm
    ----
Who photoshopped that? Its well done...

Cool

#22: Re: Skeleton Tank.. Author: Cloudy PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2006 1:08 am
    ----
Reasonably good job but it still doesn't look "right" to me...

#23: Re: Skeleton Tank.. Author: TaranovLocation: Moscow, Russia PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2006 1:26 pm
    ----
- JimWeb
Who photoshopped that? Its well done...

Cool

Me Laughing

#24: Re: Skeleton Tank.. Author: JimWebLocation: The back of beyond PostPosted: Sat Nov 04, 2006 1:13 pm
    ----
- bsmart
Jim

I took some pictures (with a ruler in them) when I was there last week. Will try and get them posted soon. It won't give you complete coverage but will be a start and we can work from there. I realized that the top is off the central box during this trip. Next time I'll take a ladder and see what I can see inside

Thanks Bob! I have more supplies of the photgraphic scales in so if you want any let me know.

Do you know if anyone took any images during the restoration?

Cool

#25: Re: Skeleton Tank.. Author: JimWebLocation: The back of beyond PostPosted: Sat Nov 04, 2006 1:19 pm
    ----
- Neil_Baumgardner
Oh yeah... Its open on the top & bottom. You can also crawl under it and stand inside it Wink

Remember those pics I posted a year ago or more?

Neil

No sign of the engines & transmission inside?

Remember those pics I posted a year ago or more?

Yes! Though for some reason I didn't save them - any chance of a repost? I have Bobs original post of two images plus a heap I received from Dave Haugh (thanks again Dave) so things are coming along...

Cool

#26: Re: Skeleton Tank.. Author: Neil_BaumgardnerLocation: Arlington, VA PostPosted: Sat Nov 04, 2006 1:32 pm
    ----
Here you go.

Neil

#27: Re: Skeleton Tank.. Author: JimWebLocation: The back of beyond PostPosted: Sat Nov 04, 2006 8:57 pm
    ----
Thanks Neill... judging from the rivet holes near the top of the armour I would say that somewhere along the way it lost the top (and bottom?) though judging by the exposed engine it was probably jettisoned to prevent the crew being baked alive..

Cool

#28: Re: Skeleton Tank.. Author: Dubliner PostPosted: Sun Nov 05, 2006 5:50 am
    ----
nt

Last edited by Dubliner on Sat Mar 24, 2007 1:39 pm; edited 1 time in total

#29: Re: Skeleton Tank.. Author: BenjaminLiottel PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2006 8:27 pm
    ----
I wrote the article and contributed a great deal of that information on the Landships site... The picture of the Skeleton Tank being tested in the shallows of the Mississippi without its wooden track guards is courtesy of the Winona Historical Society - the image was in a newspaper photocopy, hence the shabby quality of the image. Still, it is highly informative.

The Nicaragua thing is a touchy subject. People on this board are so hell bent that the first USA tanks manned by USA crews to see combat were light tanks fighting off the Japanese in early WWII. They get very angry when someone brings up the Nicaragua tank idea. And true enough, neither me or my friends have found much evidence that it is true. Although a friend did aquire an old drawing of the Skeleton Tank fitted with a M1918 turret, this does not confirm the Nicaragua story. So, until further notice, the "Tanks in Nicaragua" scenario should be taken with a grain of salt.

---Vil.

#30: Re: Skeleton Tank.. Author: Doug_KibbeyLocation: The Great Satan PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2006 8:32 pm
    ----
- BenjaminLiottel
... People on this board are so hell bent that the first USA tanks manned by USA crews to see combat were light tanks fighting off the Japanese in early WWII. They get very angry when someone brings up the Nicaragua tank idea. ---Vil.

I musta' missed that. You don't often see "angry" here....unless you use the "G" word...and mean it. And even then, it's more like ridicule. Laughing

-> AFV News Discussion Board