What type of gun is this ?
-> AFV News Discussion Board

#1: What type of gun is this ? Author: BenjaminLiottel PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2006 10:44 pm
    ----
These pictures are often labelled as "A Carden-Loyd Mk.VI hauling troops and an anti-tank gun." But what type of gun is that? The mounting seems too flimsy for a heavy-recoil weapon - which means it must be recoiless, but then what's up with the magazine? A recoiless magazine fed weapon?

---Vil.

#2: Re: What type of gun is this ? Author: JimWebLocation: The back of beyond PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2006 11:03 pm
    ----
its an early 20mm oerlikon they were used by the British Army as anti-tank guns until the introduction of the 2pdr.

Cool

#3: Re: What type of gun is this ? Author: BenjaminLiottel PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2006 2:36 am
    ----
Ah! So i guess the large diameter of the barrel must be due to a cooling jacket - similar to the Finnish Lahti 20mm anti-tank guns. Very cool.

Was there ever an attempt to fit a Carden-Loyd with this gun as its primary armament? Sort of a very light Tank-Destroyer? There were quite a few Mk.VI's converted to Self Propelled Guns, usually around 47mm.

Here is a picture of a Swedish Carden-Loyd Mk.VI captioned: "Vagnen överfördes till Armémuseum 1939 i samband med nedläggning av I 2. Den togs dock fram under beredskapen för att utgöra plattform för försök med 57 mm rekylfri pvkanon (bakblåsare)." - I know no Swedish, but I am presuming this is an image from 1939 of a Carden-Loyd is equipped with a 57mm Recoiless gun.

(From the Swedish "Pansarmuseet" museum site)

---Vil.

#4: Re: What type of gun is this ? Author: Rikard_HufschmiedLocation: Stockholm, Sweden PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2006 4:44 am
    ----
- BenjaminLiottel

Here is a picture of a Swedish Carden-Loyd Mk.VI captioned: "Vagnen överfördes till Armémuseum 1939 i samband med nedläggning av I 2. Den togs dock fram under beredskapen för att utgöra plattform för försök med 57 mm rekylfri pvkanon (bakblåsare)." - I know no Swedish, but I am presuming this is an image from 1939 of a Carden-Loyd is equipped with a 57mm Recoiless gun.

---Vil.

Translation: This vehicle was transfered to The Army museum in 1939 when the regiment I 2 was disbanded. It was reactivated during the war to serve as a platform for tests with the 57mm recoilless AT gun.

Cheers,
Rik

#5: Re: What type of gun is this ? Author: DontosLocation: Vine Grove, KY PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2006 10:53 pm
    ----
- BenjaminLiottel
....Here is a picture of a Swedish Carden-Loyd Mk.VI captioned: "Vagnen överfördes till Armémuseum 1939 i samband med nedläggning av I 2. Den togs dock fram under beredskapen för att utgöra plattform för försök med 57 mm rekylfri pvkanon (bakblåsare)." - I know no Swedish, but I am presuming this is an image from 1939 of a Carden-Loyd is equipped with a 57mm Recoiless gun.

Hmmmm,....That looks real familiar....( Mr. Green Mr. Green Mr. Green )

Don

-> AFV News Discussion Board