nVidia DirectX10 GPU's
-> Hardware

#1: nVidia DirectX10 GPU's Author: ShadesLocation: 3rd Branch up, 'Ye Olde Oak', Green Wood. PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2006 2:51 pm
    ----
DirectX 10 compliant GeForce 8800GTX and 8800GTS headed your way

DailyTech's hands-on with the GeForce 8800 series continues with more information about the GPU and the retail boards. The new NVIDIA graphics architecture will be fully compatible with Microsoft’s upcoming DirectX 10 API with support for shader model 4.0, and represents the company's 8th generation GPU in the GeForce family.

NVIDIA has code-named G80 based products as the GeForce 8800 series. While the 7900 and 7800 series launched with GT and GTX suffixes, G80 will do away with the GT suffix. Instead, NVIDIA has revived the GTS suffix for its second fastest graphics product�a suffix that hasn’t been used since the GeForce 2 days.

NVIDIA’s GeForce 8800GTX will be the flagship product. The core clock will be factory clocked at 575 MHz. All GeForce 8800GTX cards will be equipped with 768MB of GDDR3 memory, to be clocked at 900 MHz. The GeForce 8800GTX will also have a 384-bit memory interface and deliver 86GB/second of memory bandwidth. GeForce 8800GTX graphics cards are equipped with 128 unified shaders clocked at 1350 MHz. The theoretical texture fill-rate is around 38.4 billion pixels per second.
READ MORE HERE

#2: Re: nVidia DirectX10 GPU's Author: Shadow_BshwackrLocation: Central Illinois, USA PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2006 11:10 am
    ----
WOW...and I just got into the 6 series...lol

#3: Re: nVidia DirectX10 GPU's Author: ShadesLocation: 3rd Branch up, 'Ye Olde Oak', Green Wood. PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2006 11:13 am
    ----
lol
Don't get too excited about 'em just yet.
They're aimed at DirectX10 which will come out with Vista and the problem with that is...:-

www.com-central.net/in...pic&t=5101

#4: Re: nVidia DirectX10 GPU's Author: Shadow_BshwackrLocation: Central Illinois, USA PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2006 11:16 am
    ----
Rgr, I hear ya. I have a beta version of Vista and according to some folks I know, they have some games won't run on it although those same games run fine on XP. Needless to say they're very disappointed and feel like M$ dropped the ball. This was AFTER they built a new system just for VISTA...lol

#5: Re: nVidia DirectX10 GPU's Author: ShadesLocation: 3rd Branch up, 'Ye Olde Oak', Green Wood. PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2006 1:46 pm
    ----
Windows Vista RC2 is now available for download HERE.

#6: Re: nVidia DirectX10 GPU's Author: EURO_TalusLocation: HMP Wandsworth, Wandsworth, SW18 3HS PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2006 7:49 pm
    ----
~S~ (and special double salute to Mr. Shades ~S~S~)

I have a question re:...video cards and PF!

I have a modest 256 nVidia 5700 LE. I was stupid enough to upgrade the driver out of boredom to 81.24, the recommended one. And it's slightly overclocked via Coolbits.

FRAPS used to run up to 999 on a staionary menu screen, now it stops at 75 (using 75Hz refresh) and 60 using 60Hz.

I have noticed frame rates in the 250+ range uring DirectX, but much lower ones in graphics intensive scenes (6-7). OpenGL keeps it maxed out at 75, but gives better frames rates in the intense scenes (15+-).

I always kept my settings at "Application-controlled" and don't fart around with the ones I don't really understand, which is all of them.

Any idea on how to get this card and driver to stop maxing out at 75? I just should left left well enough alone, I liked the 999 (or the illusion of it) I used to get before, felt that the card wasn't being restriceted somehow to 75.

~S~ EURO_CPTTalus.

P.S. If there's a better place to post this, please let me know, and how to move it, or feel free to move it for me. Thanks, lads.

#7: Re: nVidia DirectX10 GPU's Author: EURO_TalusLocation: HMP Wandsworth, Wandsworth, SW18 3HS PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2006 7:53 pm
    ----
P.S. I should mention that the old driver used to max at 60 or 75, too, but one day I was farting around with the settings randomely and noticed this change to 999. It's to late for a system restore, I think I tossed the old driver and have de-fragged and CCleaned many times. I did once lose the 999, but did a system restire immediately and got it back, Don't remember what I changed.

#8: Re: nVidia DirectX10 GPU's Author: ShadesLocation: 3rd Branch up, 'Ye Olde Oak', Green Wood. PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2006 8:17 am
    ----
-S-mutches old friend.
I'm none too good with drivers and overclockings, but you can find help for such things on another forum I belong to, www.BuildYourOwn.org.uk/forums.
Go to the Graphic card section and ask there (They don't know me as 'Shades' in there, btw).

#9: Re: nVidia DirectX10 GPU's Author: 401RCAF_Sly PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2006 8:32 pm
    ----
Hi Talus

Disable vertical sync to let your card run above the refresh rate

Sly

#10: Re: nVidia DirectX10 GPU's Author: EURO_TalusLocation: HMP Wandsworth, Wandsworth, SW18 3HS PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2006 12:21 am
    ----
AMAZING! It worked! I got 105 fps looking at blue sky, and 385, more or less, at the menu screens. So that's a huge improvement, and obviously "vertical sync" was the the thing I must have changed way back and forgotten about. That's the way my card used to perform before I was stupid enough to upgrade the driver.

I ran RivaTuner a few months ago and it installed Coolbits, which I knew nothing about. Later, when I tossed RivaTuner, I noticed this wierd overclocking option on the control panel. When I installed the new driver, it blew away CoolBits and NVidia support needed 3 e-mails asking what happened to my overclocking until they mentioned Coolbits. By that time, I had discovered it myself and installed it via regedit. (If you use a value of 3 you get an extra useless option, try it).

Thanks a million for your help!

~S~

-> Hardware