Stryker with birdcage
-> AFV News Discussion Board

#1: Stryker with birdcage Author: Roy_A_LingleLocation: El Paso & Ft Bliss, Texas PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2006 6:04 am
    ----
Hi Folks!

Ran acrossed this photo over at army.mil . Check out the area behind the wheels. Looks like there is a perpetuated sheet of metal back in there. My guess is it is part of the birdcage system.

Spot Report!
Sgt, Scouts Out! Confused

#2: Re: Stryker with birdcage Author: JeffStringer PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2006 9:06 am
    ----
Cool! The only "Black Sheep" in the heard! Laughing

Jeff

#3: Re: Stryker with birdcage Author: mike_Duplessis PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2006 2:42 pm
    ----
Does anybody know, is that upper deck armor extension officially-offficial, as in "This is what Strykers look like these days"? Or is it just Iraq-only add-on armor that isn't expected to show up on fleet stationed elsewhere?

#4: Re: Stryker with birdcage Author: Burik PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2006 12:47 am
    ----
High Everybody,

Those items behind the wheels are perforated brush guards. They are only used on the rear shocks because the rear ones proved to be susceptible to damage because they are at an angle (the front ones are vertical and do not get damaged often). I think in early Strykers these guards were there but not perforated.

Mike, the shields you see are called blast shields and they have replaced the previously commonly seen sandbags that crews were putting on the roof. Many that I have seen have bullet proof glass windows in some spots. I don't know, but I would guess these add-ons are produced by different companies, and so there may be some slight differences in units. These are newer and I have not personally seen them on stateside trucks, but I saw one photo of them in a Ft Lewis motorpool. When I was at the NTC in February before these shields were in place, crews were still using sandbags. I do not think commanders want this practice to continue, so I am guessing that the shields will be seen stateside and in Germany - eventually.

Bob

-> AFV News Discussion Board