Romanian Military Museum: Shermies, MkIV's, an' stuff....
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17  Next  :| |:
-> AFV News Discussion Board

#181: Re: Romanian Military Museum: Shermies, MkIV's, an' stuff... Author: Massimo_FotiLocation: Lugano, Switzerland PostPosted: Wed Aug 18, 2010 9:45 am
    ----
Pz 35 (t) / R-2

This should be the serial number. Looks like a 41:

Massimo

#182: Re: Romanian Military Museum: Shermies, MkIV's, an' stuff... Author: the_shadockLocation: Normandy, France PostPosted: Wed Aug 18, 2010 4:00 pm
    ----
- Michel_Krauss

I do have an picture where you can see the complete vehicle with the plate, so it is still there
The problem is, it is not possible to read it because it is to far away

However I'm planning to go there again in an couple of weeks
I will put it on the list, things to do / check

Michel

I do have some requests for you...

P-O

#183: Re: Romanian Military Museum: Shermies, MkIV's, an' stuff.... Author: the_shadockLocation: Normandy, France PostPosted: Wed Aug 18, 2010 6:00 pm
    ----
- Massimo_Foti
Thanks Michel. I wonder how many other FT-17 have the plate. Maybe Pierre-Olivier could help, I guess is the one who have seen more FT-17s among us Smile

Massimo

Massimo,

I got new information about the plates that could be found on the Renault FT tanks :

The Renault FT tanks were built by some manufacturers : Renault (of course), but also Berliet, Somua and Delauney-Belleville.

During the First World War, some of the Renault tanks built before May 1918 were constructed with the manufacturer's plate. In May 1918, a military responsible decided to remove the plates, which carried the address of the Renault factory, and requested all the manufacturers not to put any plate on the exterior sides of the tank, to prevent the enemy to know the exact origin of the tanks. However, for various reasons, some of the Renault tanks which were already carrying the plate kept it despite the order to remove them.

This order to remove the plates is the reason why we often don't find any plate from the outside. No tank built by Berliet, Somua or Delaunay-Belleville ever carried a manufacturer's plate on the outside, and some of the Renault tanks lost it already in 1918.

Pierre-Olivier

Last edited by the_shadock on Wed Aug 18, 2010 6:36 pm; edited 1 time in total

#184: Re: Romanian Military Museum: Shermies, MkIV's, an' stuff... Author: Doug_KibbeyLocation: The Great Satan PostPosted: Wed Aug 18, 2010 6:17 pm
    ----
- Massimo_Foti
Pz 35 (t) / R-2

Massimo

That red primer coating stuff is not aging well. Only 3-4 years elapsed between your pics and mine, and the stuff was newly applied when I took mine.

I don't know what it's formula is, but primer coating for auto paint is notoriously porous, which is always funny when you see some guys driving around in primer-coated cars thinking they're somewhat protected from corrosion. It actually makes it worse.

#185: Re: Romanian Military Museum: Shermies, MkIV's, an' stuff.... Author: Massimo_FotiLocation: Lugano, Switzerland PostPosted: Wed Aug 18, 2010 6:58 pm
    ----
- the_shadock
This order to remove the plates is the reason why we often don't find any plate from the outside. No tank built by Berliet, Somua or Delaunay-Belleville ever carried a manufacturer's plate on the outside, and some of the Renault tanks lost it already in 1918.

Very valuable info. Thanks a lot

Massimo

#186: Re: Romanian Military Museum: Shermies, MkIV's, an' stuff.... Author: Massimo_FotiLocation: Lugano, Switzerland PostPosted: Wed Aug 18, 2010 7:01 pm
    ----
I agree Doug, the primer isn't doing very well, it's porous, keep collecting dirt and making things worst.

Massimo

#187: Re: Romanian Military Museum: Shermies, MkIV's, an' stuff... Author: Massimo_FotiLocation: Lugano, Switzerland PostPosted: Thu Aug 19, 2010 7:06 am
    ----
Tacam R-2:

Massimo

#188: Re: Romanian Military Museum: Shermies, MkIV's, an' stuff... Author: Massimo_FotiLocation: Lugano, Switzerland PostPosted: Thu Aug 19, 2010 7:08 am
    ----
TACAM's serial number looks like 218... But I am not sure about it

Massimo

#189: Re: Romanian Military Museum: Shermies, MkIV's, an' stuff... Author: Massimo_FotiLocation: Lugano, Switzerland PostPosted: Thu Aug 19, 2010 5:45 pm
    ----
Cutaway T-34/85

Massimo

#190: Re: Romanian Military Museum: Shermies, MkIV's, an' stuff... Author: Massimo_FotiLocation: Lugano, Switzerland PostPosted: Fri Aug 20, 2010 3:17 pm
    ----
The other T-34/85

Massimo

#191: Re: Romanian Military Museum: Shermies, MkIV's, an' stuff... Author: Massimo_FotiLocation: Lugano, Switzerland PostPosted: Fri Aug 20, 2010 3:19 pm
    ----
A TAB-77, there were different variants of this:

Massimo

#192: Re: Romanian Military Museum: Shermies, MkIV's, an' stuff... Author: Massimo_FotiLocation: Lugano, Switzerland PostPosted: Sun Aug 22, 2010 6:04 am
    ----
TAB-71 M

Massimo

#193: Re: Romanian Military Museum: Shermies, MkIV's, an' stuff... Author: Massimo_FotiLocation: Lugano, Switzerland PostPosted: Sun Aug 22, 2010 7:23 pm
    ----
This thread hits the 23.000 views

The current leader is still Chris with his Toadman's Tank Pictures thread and 26.000+ views, but we are chasing him Laughing

Massimo

#194: Re: Romanian Military Museum: Shermies, MkIV's, an' stuff... Author: Massimo_FotiLocation: Lugano, Switzerland PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2010 6:36 pm
    ----
TAB-71:

Massimo

#195: Re: Romanian Military Museum: Shermies, MkIV's, an' stuff... Author: Massimo_FotiLocation: Lugano, Switzerland PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2010 10:05 am
    ----
The Pz IV J:

Massimo

-> AFV News Discussion Board