Romanian Military Museum: Shermies, MkIV's, an' stuff....
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 13, 14, 15, 16, 17  Next  :| |:
-> AFV News Discussion Board

#196: Re: Romanian Military Museum: Shermies, MkIV's, an' stuff... Author: bialy-rLocation: POLAND PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2010 10:16 am
    ----
What towed artillery they have ?

#197: Re: Romanian Military Museum: Shermies, MkIV's, an' stuff... Author: Massimo_FotiLocation: Lugano, Switzerland PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2010 11:00 am
    ----
They have the most impressive collection of modern artillery I have ever seen Shocked
At least as far the 1880-1950 period is concerned.

I shot more than 80 different models but I failed to cover everything. They have some planes too. I will post about the guns on the artillery forum as soon as I will have some pictures ready. I still have to post-process a lot of shots, it keep being a busy tank-hunting season, and the amount of RAW files that are accumulating on my PC most likely will keep me busy for the whole winter Laughing

Massimo

#198: Re: Romanian Military Museum: Shermies, MkIV's, an' stuff... Author: Massimo_FotiLocation: Lugano, Switzerland PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2010 11:02 am
    ----
M4A2 wreck. Doug covered its story earlier in this thread. I am just posting an extra picture:

Massimo

Last edited by Massimo_Foti on Wed Aug 25, 2010 5:03 am; edited 1 time in total

#199: Re: Romanian Military Museum: Shermies, MkIV's, an' stuff... Author: bialy-rLocation: POLAND PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2010 12:16 pm
    ----
For me the Museum Kalemegdan, Belgrade (Serbia) was very interesting:

picasaweb.google.com/m...edwebsite#

Romanian Military Museum:
picasaweb.google.com/m...edwebsite#

#200: Re: Romanian Military Museum: Shermies, MkIV's, an' stuff.... Author: Massimo_FotiLocation: Lugano, Switzerland PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2010 12:46 pm
    ----
Yes, that photogallery gives you an idea of the amount of artillery you can see in Bucharest, but there is more. Many pieces are quite exotic too, so it's a shame the gallery is missing the id/model.

As for Kalemegdan, I hope to visit it next summer. All I need is a free weekend, good weather and a cheap plane ticket Laughing

Massimo

#201: Re: Romanian Military Museum: Shermies, MkIV's, an' stuff... Author: the_shadockLocation: Normandy, France PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2010 4:20 pm
    ----
- Massimo_Foti
M4A2 wreck. Doug covered its story earlier in this thread. I am just posting an extra picture:

Massimo

Are we sure that it is an M4A2 and not an M4 or an M4A3?

If so, it would be the only known M4A2 of the second serie (with large hatches and 47° glacis), that was not built with HVSS but that has the VVSS suspension.

The Soviet Union got many late M4A2(76)s but no complete example is known to have survived until today.

Infortunately, the rear deck plates and engine doors can't help to identify this one.

Pierre-Olivier

#202: Re: Romanian Military Museum: Shermies, MkIV's, an' stuff... Author: Massimo_FotiLocation: Lugano, Switzerland PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2010 7:50 pm
    ----
- the_shadock

The Museum's plate identify it as an M4A2. Of course they could be wrong...

Massimo

#203: Re: Romanian Military Museum: Shermies, MkIV's, an' stuff... Author: Doug_KibbeyLocation: The Great Satan PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2010 11:02 pm
    ----
- Massimo_Foti
- the_shadock

The Museum's plate identify it as an M4A2. Of course they could be wrong...

Massimo

Early on in this thread, Hanno Spoelstra offered the following:

"My guess this is an ex-Soviet Army M4A2. There is a similar cut-up hulk in Belgium. After the war, the scrapman started to cut it up for scrap. When he was halfway, the village bought the rest off him and put it up for display. Could be the same sort of thing happened to this Sherman."

I don't think he was working from the sign. I also learned from someone that this was a wet ammo stowage vehicle, and something from the museum director on a later visit: It seems this was crossing the Prut River when it was bombed or collapsed from an earlier bombing, depositing it in the water. A local farmer or business cut the engine from it to power something like generating equipment or pumps. At some later point, the rest of the hull, what you see here, was recovered by the local equivalent of Explosive Ordnance Disposal as it contained most of it's ammo load and was deemed a hazard (and an opportunity for an exercise). ISTR that the ordnance was removed and blown in place at riverside, the rest of the hull recovered for the museum.

#204: Re: Romanian Military Museum: Shermies, MkIV's, an' stuff... Author: Massimo_FotiLocation: Lugano, Switzerland PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2010 5:01 am
    ----
Time to move to soft-skins. No pictures will tell how huge is a FAMO Shocked

Massimo

#205: Re: Romanian Military Museum: Shermies, MkIV's, an' stuff.... Author: Massimo_FotiLocation: Lugano, Switzerland PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2010 7:41 am
    ----
As we already mentioned, the Museum owns an impressive amount of artillery pieces, should we discuss them on the dedicated artillery forum, or we keep going on here, to have everything in a single place?

Massimo

#206: Re: Romanian Military Museum: Shermies, MkIV's, an' stuff.... Author: WalterLocation: Arnhem PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2010 12:56 pm
    ----
The Famo is ideed very big. I saw the one in Koblenz.
Do you have by any chance more picures of the famo in Bucharest ?

Walter

#207: Re: Romanian Military Museum: Shermies, MkIV's, an' stuff.... Author: Massimo_FotiLocation: Lugano, Switzerland PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2010 2:11 pm
    ----
- Walter
The Famo is ideed very big. I saw the one in Koblenz.

This was the first time I met a 18t in person, I've seen the 12t in Trieste and was already impressed... This is even bigger Shocked

- Walter
Do you have by any chance more picures of the famo in Bucharest ?

Yes, I have more shots, but almost all of them are still in .RAW format, waiting for post-processing. I'll let you know once I am done and send you copies. Are you looking for "portraits" or specific details?

I still own you some shots of the 5t in Sinsheim. I just left my Sinsheim's pictures at the bottom of my backlog, since I am unhappy by their quality (see sticky topic on photography).

Massimo

#208: Re: Romanian Military Museum: Shermies, MkIV's, an' stuff.... Author: WalterLocation: Arnhem PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2010 4:27 pm
    ----
There's no hurry Massimo , just take your time.

Walter

#209: Re: Romanian Military Museum: Shermies, MkIV's, an' stuff... Author: Doug_KibbeyLocation: The Great Satan PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2010 6:48 pm
    ----
Some more FAMO views. May have some from left side as well, will look around.

www.com-central.net/in...fullsize=1

www.com-central.net/mo...or_072.jpg

www.com-central.net/mo...or_074.jpg

#210: Re: Romanian Military Museum: Shermies, MkIV's, an' stuff... Author: Massimo_FotiLocation: Lugano, Switzerland PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2010 7:00 pm
    ----
- Doug_Kibbey
Some more FAMO views. May have some from left side as well, will look around.

Left side was too near a wall, even with an ultra-wide lens I barely got a front-left shot

Massimo

PS What do you think about the artillery pieces, should we post here or on the artillery forum?

-> AFV News Discussion Board