Romanian Military Museum: Shermies, MkIV's, an' stuff....
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 15, 16, 17  Next  :| |:
-> AFV News Discussion Board

#226: Re: Romanian Military Museum: Shermies, MkIV's, an' stuff.... Author: Doug_KibbeyLocation: The Great Satan PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2010 1:39 pm
    ----
- Massimo_Foti
Glad to be of help Doug.
Do you have artillery with missing labels as well? I am publishing my artillery shots too, it just takes time to post-process them all. I covered 80+ different artillery artifacts, and I missed many more.

Massimo

You can be sure I do. I also have a number of "group shots" will multiple pieces in the frame as I typically had to ration my photo card contents to be sure I had room for as much stuff as I hoped to get on any one visit.

#227: Re: Romanian Military Museum: Shermies, MkIV's, an' stuff.... Author: Massimo_FotiLocation: Lugano, Switzerland PostPosted: Sat Nov 06, 2010 9:19 am
    ----
I am done with the artillery shots on Flickr. I hope it gives a feeling of the diverse equipment available in the Museum:
www.flickr.com/photos/...595717860/

Massimo

#228: Re: Romanian Military Museum: Shermies, MkIV's, an' stuff.... Author: Mircea87Location: Constanta, Romania PostPosted: Sat Dec 25, 2010 8:24 pm
    ----
- Massimo_Foti
I am done with the artillery shots on Flickr. I hope it gives a feeling of the diverse equipment available in the Museum:
www.flickr.com/photos/...595717860/

Massimo

Very nice pictures! I also visited the museum this year, in September. Unfortunately, I only had about 1 hour to take some photos with my cheap camera and my pics are not that great. Proof of my visit Razz :

The museum received a new armored fighting vehicle recently: the SU-100 tank destroyer. Pictures here: 6dorobanti.ro/forum/Ya...009746/4#4 . It has the original Romanian markings on it. I always wondered why the museum did not have a SU-100, especially since the Military Balance 2010 mentions that 25 units are still in use by the Romanian Army!

PS. what happened to the Malaxa UE chenillette? I'm sure we had one at the museum.

#229: Re: Romanian Military Museum: Shermies, MkIV's, an' stuff.... Author: the_shadockLocation: Normandy, France PostPosted: Sat Dec 25, 2010 8:54 pm
    ----
- Mircea87
The museum received a new armored fighting vehicle recently: the SU-100 tank destroyer. Pictures here: 6dorobanti.ro/forum/Ya...009746/4#4 . It has the original Romanian markings on it. I always wondered why the museum did not have a SU-100, especially since the Military Balance 2010 mentions that 25 units are still in use by the Romanian Army!

PS. what happened to the Malaxa UE chenillette? I'm sure we had one at the museum.

Hello,

great news there !! hope that these 25 units will be preserved, and not scrapped.

Pierre-Olivier

#230: Re: Romanian Military Museum: Shermies, MkIV's, an' stuff.... Author: Mircea87Location: Constanta, Romania PostPosted: Sun Dec 26, 2010 12:03 am
    ----
- the_shadock

Hello,

great news there !! hope that these 25 units will be preserved, and not scrapped.

Pierre-Olivier

I hope we won't make the same mistake like we did in 1954, when all german equipment was scrapped. Sad

I also want to share an interesting piece of equipment with you: a turret of the "Vanatorul de Care R-35 (transformat)" tank: 6dorobanti.ro/forum/Ya...1281029511 . This was a Romanian Renault R-35 tank fitted with a Soviet 45mm AT gun. The person who took the photos says that the turret is located in Slovakia. It was found in the valley of the river Hron (I don't know if the spelling is ok). The turret was probably blown off by a German 75 mm gun, which entered just below the gun mantlet (clearly visible in the fourth row of pics). The catastrophic second explosion blew the rear hatch and the cupola off. The hull is missing; IMHO, it's either buried somewhere or was towed and scrapped. The photo on the fifth row clearly shows a horizontal, white (now yellow-ish?) paint that tells us this was a command tank. The last row of pictures is with the interior of the turret, where 11 (?) ammo racks are located. The VdC R35(transformat) had fewer ammo because the 45 mm projectile was bigger than the 37 mm round. This must be the last piece of this very rare tank. Only 30 were transformed at Leonida Works by a team lead by lt.col. Constantin Ghiulai (he was also involved in the TACAM projects, T1 armored tractor and the Maresal tank destroyer program). All tanks were lost on the Western Front. You can see o photo of this tank here.

PS. I think the Malaxa UE carrier is somewhere inside a different building of National Military Museum, that's why I haven't seen it in September.

#231: Re: Romanian Military Museum: Shermies, MkIV's, an' stuff... Author: Doug_KibbeyLocation: The Great Satan PostPosted: Sun Dec 26, 2010 12:50 am
    ----
I love this thread. I've often considered whittling down my photobucket stash, but can't bring myself to do it. This and the AFV register threads are the two top views on the DG. I've learned a lot from the follow-on posts.

#232: Re: Romanian Military Museum: Shermies, MkIV's, an' stuff.... Author: Massimo_FotiLocation: Lugano, Switzerland PostPosted: Sun Dec 26, 2010 6:44 am
    ----
- Mircea87
PS. I think the Malaxa UE carrier is somewhere inside a different building of National Military Museum, that's why I haven't seen it in September.

During my visit one building was closed

Massimo

#233: Re: Romanian Military Museum: Shermies, MkIV's, an' stuff... Author: Mircea87Location: Constanta, Romania PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2011 9:56 am
    ----
Pictures with the SU-100 SPGs of the Romanian Army awaiting their final fate in a military base (I think they're going to be scrapped Sad ) :

Source: Cartula
If you can contact a museum and suggest they approach the Romanian Army for a donation, I suggest you do it soon, they will be scrapped.

The NMM in Bucharest will probably receive a T-72M tank or a TR-125 prototype soon. The army has 28 T-72M tanks for sale. Since 30 were initially bought and one was destroyed in a friendly fire incident during the 1989 Revolution, this means one will probably be delivered to NMM. Another rumour is that a TR-125 will be sent to the museum. We'll see.

Also, some pics from a small museum of a military unit in Dej:

dejeni.info/muzeul-militar/

#234: Re: Romanian Military Museum: Shermies, MkIV's, an' stuff... Author: bialy-rLocation: POLAND PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2011 11:48 am
    ----
For me that would be stupid to scrapped all SU-100.

For example the Military Museum in Dej don't have a SU-100.

It would be the best if the Romanian Army give the SU-100 to Military Museum in Bucharest.
It could exchange them with other museums which don't have a SU-100 (there is many of them).

#235: Re: Romanian Military Museum: Shermies, MkIV's, an' stuff... Author: C_Sherman PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2011 10:52 pm
    ----
- bialy-r
For me that would be stupid to scrapped all SU-100.

For example the Military Museum in Dej don't have a SU-100.

It would be the best if the Romanian Army give the SU-100 to Military Museum in Bucharest.
It could exchange them with other museums which don't have a SU-100 (there is many of them).

Hi,

If anyone here has the contacts and/or the language skills needed to tell the museums about it, I suggest that you do so.

The Army is unlikely to spontaneously offer those vehicles to a museum, and especially those in other countries. Selling them for scrap is a cash transaction, and thus infinitely more attractive to those with fungible ethics and a 'counting disorder'.

Chuck

#236: Re: Romanian Military Museum: Shermies, MkIV's, an' stuff.... Author: longo213 PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2011 11:26 pm
    ----
[quote="Mircea87"]
- the_shadock
I also want to share an interesting piece of equipment with you: a turret of the "Vanatorul de Care R-35 (transformat)" tank: 6dorobanti.ro/forum/Ya...1281029511 . This was a Romanian Renault R-35 tank fitted with a Soviet 45mm AT gun. The person who took the photos says that the turret is located in Slovakia. It was found in the valley of the river Hron (I don't know if the spelling is ok). The turret was probably blown off by a German 75 mm gun, which entered just below the gun mantlet (clearly visible in the fourth row of pics). The catastrophic second explosion blew the rear hatch and the cupola off. The hull is missing; IMHO, it's either buried somewhere or was towed and scrapped. The photo on the fifth row clearly shows a horizontal, white (now yellow-ish?) paint that tells us this was a command tank. The last row of pictures is with the interior of the turret, where 11 (?) ammo racks are located. The VdC R35(transformat) had fewer ammo because the 45 mm projectile was bigger than the 37 mm round. This must be the last piece of this very rare tank. Only 30 were transformed at Leonida Works by a team lead by lt.col. Constantin Ghiulai (he was also involved in the TACAM projects, T1 armored tractor and the Maresal tank destroyer program). All tanks were lost on the Western Front. You can see o photo of this tank here

I remember a conversation couple of months ago with Pierre-Olivier (the_shaddock) when I told him about the turret so he could put it to the respective Surviving Panzers list. I was also speculating about the fate of the tank (and it's crew) and had the same idea bout "jack in the box" kind of explosion.
Is there any English written publication about Romanian army which took a big (but unappreciated) part of liberating Slovakia? Or Romanian tankers in particular?

#237: Re: Romanian Military Museum: Shermies, MkIV's, an' stuff... Author: Mircea87Location: Constanta, Romania PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2011 6:42 am
    ----
- C_Sherman

Hi,

If anyone here has the contacts and/or the language skills needed to tell the museums about it, I suggest that you do so.

The Army is unlikely to spontaneously offer those vehicles to a museum, and especially those in other countries. Selling them for scrap is a cash transaction, and thus infinitely more attractive to those with fungible ethics and a 'counting disorder'.

Chuck

The cost of sending a 32 ton vehicle from Bucharest to Dej by railway is several times the value of that SPG being sold to scrap. In 2011 the army had the lowest budget since 1989. It's all a question of money. Plus, the defense industry in Romania is artificially kept alive with jobs such as these (scrapping old equipment and ammo). So the Army will never send those vehicles because it lacks the money to send them and the museums are not going to ask for them because they lack the funds to transport, storage and maintain them. If a foreign museum asks for a donation, the Army is more likely to give them.

Look what happens if you have the right amount of cash in Romania, you get your own shiny SU-100 to attract tourists:
Link

- longo213

I remember a conversation couple of months ago with Pierre-Olivier (the_shaddock) when I told him about the turret so he could put it to the respective Surviving Panzers list. I was also speculating about the fate of the tank (and it's crew) and had the same idea bout "jack in the box" kind of explosion.
Is there any English written publication about Romanian army which took a big (but unappreciated) part of liberating Slovakia? Or Romanian tankers in particular?

About the actions is Czechoslovakia and Austria, the only book I recommend is "Third axis, fourth ally" by Mark Axworthy (several pages on the subject..). About Romanian tankers in particular, I don't know any book with a decent amount of info. In fact, there are few books even in Romanian about this subject.

#238: Re: Romanian Military Museum: Shermies, MkIV's, an' stuff... Author: Mircea87Location: Constanta, Romania PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2011 1:38 pm
    ----
Romanian Military Museum rusty TACAM R-2:
commons.wikimedia.org/...811%29.JPG
vs. Arsenal Park in Orastie, a private venture:
www.cartula.ro/forum/t...ntry130633

#239: Re: Romanian Military Museum: Shermies, MkIV's, an' stuff... Author: bialy-rLocation: POLAND PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2011 2:11 pm
    ----
- Mircea87
Arsenal Park in Orastie, a private venture:
www.cartula.ro/forum/t...ntry130633

Two SU-100
Two WPT-34
ATS-59
AT-S
AT-L
T-55
T-34
SPK-5 (T-34 based crane)
BTR-50
BWP-2
BRDM-2
TAB-72
unknown tracked crane

Very nice collection.

#240: Re: Romanian Military Museum: Shermies, MkIV's, an' stuff... Author: Mircea87Location: Constanta, Romania PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2011 2:32 pm
    ----
Yes, even if the vehicles are not painted historically, they're still in a better shape that the ones found at NMM in Bucharest. I think they're two BTR-50s, one has the burning plane crashed on it. The TAB-72 is called a TAB-71M in Romanian service. The unknown tracked crane is a HT-125 on T-34 chassis. The BWP-2 I think is actually a MLI-84, because it has the machine gun above the left (back) door and a firing port on the right (back) door.

-> AFV News Discussion Board